The sE Electronics X1 R Ribbon Microphone is a vintage-modern hybrid that provides all the inherent smoothness of a hand-crafted ribbon mic, but with more versatility, durability, and ease of use. With state of the art ribbon element enclosed by top-grade neodymium magnets and high SPL handling, the X1 R is a rugged ribbon for any purpose.
The sE Electronics X1 R Ribbon Microphone is the second addition to the X1 Series and brings the magic of traditional ribbon mics into the modern age with a tough construction that can handle any SPL. This is a ribbon you can take on the road. The X1 R is the new high performance passive ribbon from sE Electronics. The sE Electronics sE X1 R is suited to a variety of recording applications including guitar cabs, overhead drums, brass, woodwind, strings, commercial broadcast and voice-over. This state of the art ribbon element enclosed by top-grade Neodymium magnets boasts some of the sE Electronics' latest ribbon microphone technologies. The sE Electronics have combined their traditional ribbon technology with some of the mechanical elements of their own Voodoo microphone HF (High Frequency) extension technology to bring you a classic sounding ribbon mic with a gentle HF lift. The sE Electronics X1 R doesn't quite offer the full-frequency response performance of the Voodoo VR1, VR2, or the widely acclaimed Rupert Neve Signature Series RNR1 - but its hybrid old and new ribbon technology gives you all the natural beauty of the ribbon sound, but with more versatility and ease of use than the majority of ribbons on today's market.
The sE Electronics X1 R comes standard with a mic clip that will securely attach it to any mic stand, but fits the Isolation Pack if a shockmount solution is desired.
sE Electronics X1 R Ribbon Microphonee Features
- Vintage-modern hybrid that provides all the inherent smoothness of a hand-crafted ribbon mic
- Offers more versatility, durability, and ease of use than the delicate ribbons available in the market
- Features tough construction that can handle any SPL
- Perfect for guitar cabs, overhead drums, brass, woodwind, strings, commercial broadcast and voice-over
- Ribbon element is enclosed by top-grade Neodymium magnets
- Classic sounding ribbon mic with a gentle HF lift
sE Electronics X1 R Ribbon Microphone Specifications
- Electronics: Passive
- Generating Element: Hand-tensioned 2.5µm aluminum ribbon
- Directional Pattern: Figure-8
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 16 kHz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 1.78 mV/Pa (-55 dB)
- Max SPL: 135 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 71 dB
- Self Noise: 23 dB(A)
- Matching Connectors: XLR3F
- Power Requirement: N/A (phantom-protected)
- Weight: 510g / 17.99oz
sE Electronics X1 R Ribbon Microphone Includes
- sE Electronics X1 R Microphone
- Standard Mic Clip
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This review is going to sound like I work for the company. I do not. I have had and demoed many, many inexpensive and spendy ribbon mics over the past ten years. When I first read the description of the sE X1R, I was interested in the assertion that it had an extended top end. I ordered one, not expecting much as I had heard this claim before. When I got the mic, I put it through its paces. I was astounded. Not only did it deliver on the claim of extended top end, but it sounded just great overall. In fact one of the best ribbons I have ever heard. Another bonus was discovering it had a much hotter output than any of my other ribbons (which include some I modded myself and one from a high end custom ribbon mic maker). It sounds similar to a vintage Fostex printed ribbon mic (which I had at the time I got the X1R) only better and with a hotter output.