The sE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Microphone is the world's first mic from Mr. Rupert Neve - A BIG sounding, active ribbon microphone with a gorgeous, extended high-frequency response! With custom transformers and discrete circuitry from the man behind the recording industry, the RNR1 hears more than any other ribbon on the planet.
The sE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Microphone is constructed using the finest quality electronic components and extensively tested to provide you with years of trouble-free operation. Ribbon mics have been around for a long time, and have always been particularly prized for the exceptionally "natural" sound they provide. Not too forward, never bright or shiny, they capture mid-range detail with a pleasant intimacy and usually sit quite easily in a mix. One downside of their mellow nature used to be physical delicacy, but that challenge was conquered long ago with more rugged, reliable materials. But the other main negative with ribbon mics is the high-frequency roll-off inherent in their design, which had never been dealt with until Rupert Neve - the father of the recording console - decided to make a microphone.
Nobody knows audio transformers better than Rupert Neve, and ribbon mics require more transformer attention than any other. This is because the transformer that couples the ribbon to the output needs to accomplish a fairly massive impedance conversion. With the sE Electronics RNR1, two custom Rupert Neve-designed transformers form the buffer between the ribbon and the outside world. The circuitry between those transformers helps maintain the ultra-wide frequency response, compensating for the ribbon's natural predisposition to roll it off, and thus high-frequency content is preserved.
During the sE Electronics RNR1's development, a full year was spent working on crafting a ribbon element that would provide the extended response that Mr. Neve demanded. After experimenting with ribbon materials available from all corners of the world, the design team landed on the 2.5µm aluminum ribbon used in the sE Electronics RNR1, striking the perfect balance of flexibility and stiffness needed for this microphone's exceptional performance.
As with many sE microphones, the RNR1 has an unusual and bold design aesthetic, with the form following the function. The precision-machined and scalloped edges don't just look vibrant and dramatic, they have also been custom-designed to provide the ribbon with an acoustically ideal setting for the best possible frequency response.
Matte Black Finish
The matte black finish means the sE Electronics RNR1 remains unobtrusive and doesn't draw any unnecessary attention to itself under harsh stage or studio lighting.
Custom Shock Mount
The sE Electronics RNR1 includes a custom-designed and easy-to-use shock mount, which is essential in use to reduce the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand.
sE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Microphone Features
- A BIG sounding, active ribbon microphone with a gorgeous, extended high-frequency response
- Custom transformers and discrete circuitry from Mr. Rupert Neve
- Constructed using the finest quality electronic components
- Extensively tested to provide you with years of trouble-free operation
- Two custom Rupert Neve-designed transformers to maintain the ultra-wide frequency response
- Ribbon element to provide the extended response
- 2.5µm Aluminum ribbon for perfect balance of flexibility and stiffness needed for exceptional performance
- The precision-machined and scalloped edges look vibrant and dramatic
- Custom-designed shape to provide the ribbon with an acoustically ideal setting
- The matte black finish keeps the mic unobtrusive
- Custom-designed and easy-to-use shock mount
sE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Microphone Specifications
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient with active electronics
- Generating Element: Hand-tensioned 2.5µm aluminum ribbon
- Directional Pattern: Figure-8
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 25 kHz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 22.39 mV/Pa (-33 dB)
- Max SPL: 135 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 76 dB
- Self Noise: 18 dB(A)
- Low Cut Filter Switch: 100 Hz
- Matching Connectors: XLR3F
- Power Requirement: 48V phantom
- Weight: 860g / 30.34oz
sE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Microphone Includes
- sE Electronics RNR1 Microphone
- Custom Shock Mount
- Padded Microphone Sleeve
- Wood case