RME MADIface USB MADI Interface
The RME MADIface USB MADI Interface is a unique audio interface capable of transferring digital MADI audio to a Mac or PC. The MADIface USB provides MADI I/O over USB 2.0 while supporting the format's full 64 channels for recording and playback. Both inputs can be used for full redundancy operation.
The RME MADIface USB MADI Interface's numerous unique features and well thought-out configuration dialog puts the MADIface USB at the very top of the range of computer-based audio interfaces. The RME MADIface USB MADI Interface's both MADI I/Os can be operated simultaneously for full 128 channel input and output access, mixed and routed by TotalMix. Even without computer the small box delivers extraordinary bi-directional format converter and active repeater functionality.
Its sturdy and bus-powered design makes it as easy to use as reliable in operation. The RME MADIface USB is both MADI portability at its best as also a perfect desktop solution to connect MADI equipment to any Mac and PC. A real gem in flexibility, usefullness and trouble-free operation - as you expect it from RME.
The RME MADIface USB offers several operation modes when used with a Mac or Windows computer: 64 Channel Mix, Redundancy mode, 128 Channel Mix and a straight routing mode.
The option Disable TotalMix completely disables TotalMix, the unit's flexible internal mixer and routing matrix. All input and output data is going straight to record/coming from playback, with no mixing or routing involved. In this mode the outputs are mirrored, carrying the same signal.
In 64 Channel Mix mode TotalMix shows 64 input, playback and output channels. All settings in TotalMix use the data from one MADI input port, and send identical data to both MADI output ports. The currently active MADI input port can be configured in the Settings dialog.
The option AutoSelect activates an automatic input selection. Using both inputs at the same time, AutoSelect puts the device into Seamless Redundancy mode. The RME MADIface USB will switch to the other input in real-time if the current one fails.
In 128 Channel Mix mode record and playback is still limited to 64 channels, with the current input selected in the Settings dialog. But the other input is also available through TotalMix, and the output signal is not mirrored, but separated, with TotalMix having 128 output channels. Applications like independent mix output, monitoring and serial pass-through of the second source are just a few clicks away.
SteadyClock as well as RME's well known MADI compatibility ensure hassle-free operation with other devices. MIDI over MADI technology may be used to remote-control other MADI devices. DIGICheck, an included complete audio analyzing suite, supports the user under Mac OS X and Windows.
Like all the latest RME interfaces, the RME MADIface USB also includes the powerful digital real-time mixer TotalMix FX. It allows for practically unlimited mixing and routing operations, with all inputs and playback channels simultaneously, to any hardware outputs. The RME MADIface does not have a DSP, so there are no FX available. Still it includes a dedicated Control Room section with Talkback, Main/Phones, fader groups, mute groups, complete remote controllability via Mackie or OSC protocol, and much more.
Here are some typical applications for TotalMix:
- Setting up delay-free submixes (headphone mixes). The RME MADIface allows for up to 32 fully independent stereo submixes. On an analog mixing desk, this would equal 64 Aux sends.
- Unlimited routing of inputs and outputs (free utilisation, patchbay functionality).
- Distributing signals to several outputs at a time. TotalMix offers state-of-the-art splitter and distributor functions.
- Simultaneous playback of different programs via a single stereo output. The ASIO multiclient driver supports the usage of several programs at the same time. When done on different playback channels TotalMix provides the means to mix and monitor these on a single stereo output.
- Mixing of the input signal to the playback signal (complete ASIO Direct Monitoring). RME not only is the pioneer of ADM, but also offers the most complete implementation of the ADM functions.
- Integration of external devices. Use TotalMix to insert external effects devices, be it in the playback or in the record path. Depending on the current application, the functionality equals insert or effects send and effects return, for example as used during real-time monitoring when adding some reverb to the vocals.
- Every single input channel, playback channel and hardware output features a Peak and RMS level meter, calculated in hardware. These level displays are very useful to determine the presence and routing destinations of the audio signals.
For stand-alone operation the RME MADIface USB can be powered by any USB power wall wart or USB battery, like those for mobile phones and MP3 players. Without a computer host the device enters a pre-configured mode. Using one input the RME MADIface USB is clock slave, using the sample rate found at the input. AutoSelect is active, so either input can be used. The input's audio data is transferred to the outputs unchanged. The output format follows the input format (56/64 channel mode, 48k/96k Frame). Using two inputs Double Processing Mode becomes active, for two independent paths, including two SteadyClocks. The internal routing changes from parallel output to cross-coupled.
Therefore in stand-alone mode the unit automatically operates as active repeater, effectively doubling the maximum cable length of 100 m coaxial and 2,000 m optical. With two inputs connected the unit works as bi-directional format converter, converting coaxial to optical and vice versa simultaneously. This is even possible when the connected device uses sample rate converters for independent clocking - the sample rate can be different in both paths.
Thanks to a completely newly generated signal, jitter suppression by SteadyClock, and reclocking of the MADI output, the RME MADIface USB provides not simple but sophisticated format conversion.
RME MADIface USB MADI Interface Connectivity
- Record/Playback channels: 64 in / 64 out
- 2 x MADI I/O (optical and coaxial)
- No external power supply required
- Stand-alone mode operation
- Seamless Redundancy Operation
RME MADIface USB MADI Interface Features
- All settings can be changed in real-time
- Buffer sizes/latencies from 32 up to 8192 samples selectable
- 32 Channels 96 kHz/24 bit record/playback
- 16 Channels 192 kHz/24 bit record/playback
- 2 Channels AES recording
- Clock modes slave and master
- Clock sources MADI, AES or word
- SteadyClock: Jitter-immune, super-stable digital clock
- DDS technology for free setting of the sample rate
- TotalMix for latency-free submixes and perfect ASIO Direct Monitoring
- TotalMix FX: 2048 channel mixer with 46 bit internal resolution
- SyncAlign guarantees sample aligned and never swapping channels
- SyncCheck tests and reports the synchronization status of input signals
- Virtual MIDI port embedded in MADI
- DIGICheck DSP: Level meter in hardware, peak- and RMS calculation
- Stand-alone mode with repeater and format converter functionality
RME MADIface USB MADI Interface Specifications
- Inputs/Outputs: 2 x MADI I/O, optical and coaxial (BNC)
- MIDI Input & Output: via virtual MIDI port
- Clock Modes: master (internal) and slave (MADI input)
- Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz, variable (Sync/DDS)
- Jitter: < 1 ns, internal and all inputs
- Jitter Sensitivity: PLL operates even at 100 ns Jitter
- Redundancy Operation: Seamless Redundancy operation with both inputs
- TotalMix: 2048 channel mixer with 48-bit internal resolution
- TotalMix: latency-free submixes and perfect ASIO Direct Monitoring
- Interface: USB 2.0, bus-powered
- DIGICheck: RME's ultimate measurement, analysis and test tool
- Windows: Vista/7/8 (Multi-Client operation of ASIO 2.3 and WDM)
- Mac: OS X (10.6 or up, Core Audio, Core MIDI)
RME MADIface USB MADI Interface Includes
- RME MADIface USB MADI Interface
- Cable USB 2.0, 1.8 m (6 ft)
- RME Driver CD
- User Manual
- 6 Months Warranty
RME MADIface USB MADI Interface Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review