Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp
The Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp is a high performance microphone preamplifier designed to deliver the warmth of fully discrete, transformer coupled electronics with the lowest possible noise.
The Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp is designed to be used with the Radial Workhorse and other 500 series modular racks. It features 100% discrete components for optimal signal transfer and employs a 'vintage' Hammond broadcast output transformer for warmth and exceptionally smooth tone.
The design of the Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp begins with a front mounted XLR for instant connectivity plus a recessed 48V phantom power switch for safety. Unlike most mic preamps that require careful gain adjustment to avoid troublesome noise, the Radial PowerPre is equipped with the newly developed AccuState input stage that automatically optimizes signal-to-noise at all levels with up to 55dB of gain. This is supported with a full 10 segment LED meter for precise signal monitoring.
To add extra character; a 3-position Vox control lets you set the Radial PowerPre to 'breath' for added high frequency air such as when accentuating a vocal track or adding harmonic content to an acoustic guitar. The 'punch' setting adds body when recording electric guitar or can be used to fatten a voice. When set to linear, the Radial PowerPre delivers a truly natural rendering for orchestral recording that will suit the most demanding purist. This is augmented with a gentle high-pass filter that helps control low end resonance when layering acoustic instruments.
Ultra quiet, low noise and exceptionally warm sounding the Radial PowerPre makes spectacular audio easy.
Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp Features
- Hand selected 100% discrete electronics
- Hammond broadcast transformer output
- AccuState low-noise input circuit
- 3-position Vox control for added air or punch
- Ultra-low noise Accustate input circuit
- Broadcast transformer coupled output
- Instrument input using Omniport
- Front panel XLR for extra convenience
- 10 segment LED bar meter
- Incredible value for the money
Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp Applications
- The Basic Setup - The Radial PowerPre fits any 500 series rack. In its most basic setup, you connect a mic to the Radial PowerPre and send the XLR out to the recording system. Single dial control makes recording easy and efficient.
- The Mic Channel - Use the Radial PowerPre as the front end to drive an EQ and compressor to create the ultimate channel strip. Simple cascade one module into the next and send the final output to your recorder.
- Tracking Instruments - The Radial PowerPre is not just for mics! If you have a Workhorse, you can also use it as the front end when recording instruments or tracking a bass direct. Simply plug into the Omniport and you are set to go.
Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp Specifications
- Microphone Input:
- Circuit Type: 100% discrete, transformer coupled output
- Microphone Input: Accustate input fully variable gain control
- Current Draw: 130mA (maximum draw)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz +0/-1dB
- Input Impedance: 2.2k? (1.5k? with pad)
- Mic Preamp Gain: +55dB
- Maximum Gain: +70dB when used with Workhorse
- Maximum Output: +22dBu
- Output Impedance: 75? @ 1kHz
- Output Type: Transformer isolated
- Common Mode Rejection (CMRR): >75dB
- Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): -122dBu @ maximum gain
- Dynamic Range: >97dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N): 0.03% @ mid gain with +10dBu output
- Intermodulation Distortion (IMD): 0.012% @ 50dB gain with +10dBu output
- Instrument Input:
- Omniport Input Impedance: 150k?, unbalanced
- Instrument Preamp Gain: +55dB, unbalanced
- Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): -95dBu, unbalanced
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N): 0.05% @ mid gain with +10dB output
- Control Panel:
- Meter: 10 segment peak indicator with hold
- Pad: -15dB
- Polarity: Inverts pins 2 and 3 at XLR input
- High-pass Filter: 150Hz cut off, -3dB @ 100Hz
- Vox Control: 3 position preset EQ
- Phantom Power: 48VDC - 10mA (as supplied by 500 frame)
- XLR Configuration: AES spec: pin-1 ground, pin-2 (+), pin-3 (-)
- Ground Lift (rear panel): Lifts ground on front panel XLR input only
- Weight: 1.5lbs (0.7Kg)
- Shipping Size: 9 x 6.5 x 2 (inches)
- Compliance (API): Yes
- Compliance (WHOS-Doc): Yes
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp Includes
- Radial PowerPre Mic Preamplifier
- User Guide
- 3 Year Warranty
Radial PowerPre 500-Series Preamp Downloads
- Radial Workhorse PowerPre 500-Series Preamp User Guide (PDF)
- Radial Workhorse PowerPre 500-Series Preamp Smart Sheet (PDF)
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review