Neumann U 87 Ai Microphone Bundle
The Neumann U 87 Ai Microphone Bundle from Front End Audio gives you the the legendary U 87 Ai microphone bundled with a Peluso Shockmount, Stedman Popfilter and premium Mogami Cable; giving you everything you need right out of the box and at the best possible value. This sleek black version sets the tone in the studio or on stage!
The U 87 was really one of the first large diaphragm, solid-state condenser microphones to offer such a wide range of features and reliable sound quality and versatility to make it still to this day one of the most coveted microphones available. The distinctive design of the U 87 Ai (a continuation of concept beginning with the U 67 family, and then the original U 87i) make it immediately recognizable by even the most novice of musicians. As a result, listing a pair of Neumann U 87 microphones on your studio's website will sell more studio time than perhaps any other microphone. Well-known for its warm and well balanced characteristics - your perfect choice as vocal microphone for all types of music and speech. The usage as main microphone for orchestra recordings or as spot mic for single instruments make it the most general-purpose microphone - in studios, for broadcasting, film and television.
The U 87 Ai is addressed from the front, marked with the Neumann logo. The frequency response of the cardioid and figure-8 directional characteristics are very flat for frontal sound incidence, even in the upper frequency range. The microphone can be used very close to a sound source without the sound becoming unnaturally harsh. By means of a high-pass filter, interferences through subsonic and low frequencies are reduced remarkably.
The dual-diaphragm capsule is elastically mounted and protected by a large headgrill. A switch below the headgrill selects the three directional patterns: Omnidirectional, Cardioid and Figure-8. A window above this switch shows the symbol of the selected characteristic.
The letter A in the name indicates a more recent generation, as compared to the U 87 i microphones that were built from 1967 to 1986. Modifications apply to the electronic components of the microphone only; the capsule remained unchanged. The present-day circuitry increases the operational headroom of the U 87 Ai by supplying the bias voltages for the capsule through a reduced resistance. The result is a higher sensitivity of 10 dB for identical sound pressure levels, and an improved S/N ratio of 3 dB.
Filter and attenuation
A switch located at the rear attenuates the sensitivity by 10 dB. When this switch is activated, the microphone accepts sound pressure levels up to 127 dB (equivalent to a sound pressure of 45 Pa) without distortion. An additional switch at the rear allows to change the microphone's cutoff frequency. This reduces low frequency interference directly at the input of the microphone amplifier. This setting also compensates for the unavoidable bass boost that occurs with all pressure gradient transducers when they are used at close distance (proximity effect). The cardioid characteristic maintains a smooth frequency response at a distance of 30 to 40 cm, the figure-8 characteristic even at a distance of 15 to 20 cm.
Neumann U 87 Ai Microphone Bundle Features
- Variable large diaphragm microphone
- Pressure-gradient transducer with double membrane capsule
- The studio microphone classic
- Three directional characteristics: omni, cardioid, figure-8
- Switchable low frequency roll-off
- Switchable 10 dB pre-attenuation
- Ideal as main and as support microphone in the most differing recording situations
Neumann U 87 Ai Microphone Bundle Specifications
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, cardioid, figure-8 plus
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1k Ohm: 20/28/22 mV/Pa1)
- Rated impedance: 200 Ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1k Ohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR2): 26/23/25 dB1)
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted2): 15/12/14 dB-A1)
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR2) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 68/71/69 dB1)
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted2) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 79/82/80 dB1)
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%3): 117 dB (cardioid)
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation3): 127 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 390 mV
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 0.8 mA
- Matching connectors: XLR3F
- Weight: 500 g / 1.1 lbs
- Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
- Length: 200 mm / 7.874 inches
Neumann U 87 Ai Microphone Bundle Includes
- Neumann U 87 Ai Microphone
- Neumann Wood Box
- Peluso MT67/87B Shock Mount
- Stedman Proscreen XL Popfilter
- Mogami Gold Studio Microphone Cable (15 Foot)
- Manufacturers' Warranties on all products (2-Year Warranty on U 87 Ai)
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review