The Locomotive Audio 14B Compressor is a Vari-Mu Compressor that will make your vocals sit perfectly in the mix. It is the real sound of the Vari-Mu Tune compression at your fingertips.
The Locomotive Audio 14B Compressor is based on a very old, but still very exciting concept of rebiasing the input tube with a sidechain control voltage. After all, some of the most famous compressors in history, such as the Fairchild 670, Gates Sta-Level and Collins 26U employed this very technique. The results are a sound that cannot be replicated with other ways of gain reduction. The Locomotive Audio 14B and its added modern features allow it to achieve a unique sound in its own right. Starting with the semi-remote cutoff 6BC8 tube, a 12AY7 then drives two powerful push-pull 6V6 output tubes. The 14B is quite a versatile unit, with the ability to run soft and gentle or hard and aggressive. A sidechain low cut control offers even more flexibility, especially when used on a stereo bus and linked with another 14B. This versatile unit can be used on all kinds of source material including vocals, drums, guitars, bass, piano and horns. With its high quality Cinemag input and interstage transformers, the 14B has the ability to define mid-range clutter and control the peaks at the same time. The user will notice an enhancement on any material run through this unit, even when not compressing.
Locomotive Audio 14B Compressor Features
- Stereo Link switch
- Sidechain Low Cut filter control: Off and 70-350Hz
- Hard-wire bypass switch
- Compression turned off with full counterclockwise attack position, switching to line amplifier
- Two position Compress-Limit Switch
- Two position VU meter switch: Gain Reduction - Output
- 6BC8 balance adjustment on interior of unit
- Custom Sifam backlit VU meter
- XLR input and output connections
- Cinemag input and interstage transformers
- Custom output transformer
- Hand-built in USA with classic turret board technique
- Heavy 16 gauge steel chassis
- 115v/230v AC mains option on rear
Locomotive Audio 14B Compressor Specifications
- Tubes: (1) 6BC8, (1) 12AY7, (2) 6V6s
- Input load impedance: 5kΩ
- Output impedance: <800Ω
- Variable Attack: (300µs-20ms)
- Variable Release: (100 ms-2s)
- Compression (4:1 ratio) or Limiting 10:1 ratio)
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
- THD+N: <1%
- S/N ratio: >70dB
- Dimensions: 19"w x 3.5"h x 10"d (2u rackspace)
- Shipping Weight: 20 lbs.
- Power Consumption (120/240VAC): 42 watts
Locomotive Audio 14B Compressor Includes
- 14B Compressor
- User Manual
- IEC Power Cord
- Lifetime warranty parts and labor
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Locomotive Audio 14B Compressor with Bob Horn
Watch Grammy Winning Mix Engineer Bob Horn talk about the Loco...
Dave Pensado and Bob Horn on the Locomotive Audio 14B
Dave Pensado visits with Bob Horn at Echobar Studios as they t...
Locomotive Audio 14B on Pensado's Place
During this "Into the Lair" segment of Pensado's Place, Dave f...
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review