The Buzz Audio Velox Compressor takes over where the classic SOC-1.1 left off, announcing the new Velox dual channel optical recording compressor!
Buzz Audio first manufactured the SOC-1.1 in 1999 and it brought to the market an optical (light dependant resistor) compressor with more user control than what was available at the time (LA series for example). The unit was emmensly popular and we built hundreds of them, but the construction was a bit messy and time consuming to build, sothey recently retired the SOC-1.1 and have replaced it with the Velox! So the Velox sports the same amazing compression character of the original SOC-1.1 but with added a MIX control so you can blend the input signal with the compressor output, and we have installed a BASS filter into the side chain to reduce the sensitivity of the compressor at low frequencies. It has also introduced more options to cater for your budget, see below.
The Velox is very easy to use for recording individual tracks or on the stereo mix buss because of the "soft knee" characteristic. The AUTO attack and release settings have been perfected to provide natural compression and in many cases that's all you will ever need for acoustic or vocal work. The MIX control allows you to use the 20:1 (virtually brick wall limiting) compression and blend that with the input for more "heavy" sounds - the options are virtually endless - but what ever you choose works!.
This standard Velox "IC Version" features Texas Instrument high end integrated circuit opamps in the signal path. However, you can upgrade your Velox with the optional "DC Version" which utilizes the Buzz Audio BE41 discrete opamps. Both versions can be supplied with a silver or black face plate. In addition, an optional Lundahl LL1517 output transformer can be fitted and this feeds the second set of output XLR's on the rear panel. If you are interested in any of these options just contact your Front End Audio sales rep and we will be happy to setup you Velox exactly how you want it!
Buzz Audio Velox Compressor Features
- The same compressor characteristic as the original SOC-1.1 but with additional features.
- Optional fully discrete transistor Class A or integrated circuit signal path.
- Smooth soft knee compression - does not dig holes in your tracks.
- Mix control for blending the uncompressed and compressed signal further enhances the ratio selections.
- Side chain high pass filter (bass mode) for more bass punch on full mixes.
- Boutique hand made with loving care in New Zealand.
- All high quality components and controls to last a life time.
Buzz Audio Velox Compressor Specifications
- Maximum Input Level Line; +32dBu
- Maximum Output Level Line; +27dBu
- Noise (measured with no make up gain); -95dB A weighted
- Gain; variable 0dB to +15dB
- Operating Level; +4dBu = 0VU on meter
- Frequency Response (measured with no gain reduction);
- Direct Output 5Hz to 240kHz
- Transformer Output (if fitted) 5Hz to 320kHz
- Harmonic Distortion (no gain reduction);
- Direct Output 0.0062% @ 100Hz, 0.0062% @ 1kHz, 0.009% @ 10kHz, 0.0098% @ 100kHz
- Transformer Output 100Hz-0.2%, 1kHz-0.05%, 10kHz-0.01%, 100kHz-0.01%
- Harmonic Distortion (with 20dB gain reduction Attack AUTO, Release AUTO, 10dB make up gain, 5:1 ratio);
- 100Hz-1.5%, 1kHz-0.05%, 10kHz-0,02%, 100kHz-0.01%
- Mains Voltage; 110-115Vac or 220-240Vac switchable.
- Weight; 4.1 kg net, 6.8kg shipping.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review