The Kali Audio SM-5-C Passive Studio Monitor is a passive 3-way studio monitor which is ceiling and wall mountable, ideal for immersive, surround or multi-speaker setups.
The SM-5-C is a passive 3-way studio monitor with a 5-Inch woofer, and a 4-Inch midrange with a coaxial 1-inch metal dome tweeter. Part of Kali’s flagship Santa Monica series of speakers, the SM-5-C combines Kali’s proven 3-way coincident architecture with uncompromising components to deliver unparalleled imaging, accuracy, and detail for critical mixing applications.
Like Kali’s acclaimed IN-Series loudspeakers, the SM-5-C is an acoustic point source, and special care has been taken with the unique geometry around the midrange to ensure a seamless transition to the edge of the speaker. This gives the loudspeaker an ideal directivity characteristic, resulting in an engrossing stereo image where details are lifelike and crisp. Off axis lobing that is unavoidable in 2-way loudspeakers is virtually eliminated in the SM-5-C. The transducers on the SM-5-C are similarly precision engineered for high dynamic range, smooth response, and low distortion. The woofer design has been refined, and incorporates features that reduce magnetic flux modulation, bringing distortion down dramatically. The midrange has been optimized not only for its own frequency handling, but also for its role as the tweeter’s waveguide. The tweeter is an aluminum dome with a special geometry that reduces high-Q ultrasonic resonances, eliminating the harsh sound that can plague metal dome designs. All of these features contribute to impressive performance from the SM-5-C. THD of the loudspeaker is less than 1% and lower frequency response is 39 Hz at -10 dB. With 200W of power handling, the SM-5-C can deliver 117 dB continuous SPL.
The SM-5-C can be mounted using hardware from Triad Orbit, or any other speaker mount that uses a 4.25x2 Inch hole pattern and can support the loudspeaker’s 25 lb weight. Tuning files are available for LEA Connect-Series power amps, and 3rd party amps can be used with loudspeaker tunings available at kaliaudio.com.
Kali Audio SM-5-C Passive Studio Monitor Features
- 3-way passive monitor for immersive audio and surround setups.
- Flux stabilized 5-inch woofer offers clear, powerful bass with low distortion
- Coaxial 4-inch midrange driver and 1” titanium tweeter provides sharp, lifelike imaging with impressive directivity
- Low noise port tube delivers extended bass response
- 3-way coincident architecture delivers lifelike imaging
- Optimized crossovers increase driver efficiency
- Low diffraction midrange baffle ensures a smooth on-axis response
- Built-in mounting holes
Kali Audio SM-5-C Passive Studio Monitor Specifications
- Self-Powered: No
- Amplification Options Single Wire, Bi-Amped (Woofer, Midrange+Tweeter)
- MR+HF Power Handling 20VRMS into 3 Ohm (100W at 4 Ohm)
- LF Power Handling 20VRMS into 3 Ohm (100W at 4 Ohm)
- Single Wire Power Handling: 20VRMS into 3 Ohm (100W at 4 Ohm)
- HF Driver 1-Inch Metal Dome Tweeter
- Midrange Driver: 4-Inch Optimized Profile Paper Cone
- LF Driver: 5-Inch Optimized Paper Woofer
- LF-to-Midrange Crossover: 280 Hz
- Midrange-to-HF Crossover: 2800 Hz
- Frequency Response: (-10 dB) 39 Hz - 28 kHz
- Frequency Range: (+/-3 dB) 47 Hz - 21kHz
- Recommended Listening Distance: 4 Meters
- Max SPL: (Peak at 1 meter) 117 dB
- Loudspeaker THD: (90 dB SPL at 1 meter) <1%
- Single Wire Phoenix Connector
- Bi-Wire Phoenix Connector
- Enclosure: Front Ported
- Product Height: 15.6 Inches (39.6 cm)
- Product Depth: 9.8 Inches (24.8 cm)
- Product Width: 7.9 Inches (20 cm)
- Product Weight: 21 lbs (9.5 kg)
Kali Audio SM-5-C Passive Studio Monitor Includes
- Kali Audio SM-5-C Passive Studio Monitor
- Manufacturer Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review