Highland Dynamics BG-2 Compressor
The Highland Dynamics BG-2 Compressor is an all-tube, fully transformer-balanced very-mu compressor with automatic leveling capability, but there's much more to it than mere leveling.
The BG2 is a marriage of classic tube compressor topologies. Its front end is in the style of a British-modified modified Altec 436 while its twin 6V6 output amp is reminiscent of the venerable RCA BA6A and Gates output stages. The result is a compressor with heavy tube character that sounds more airy and spacious than most.
Perhaps its most unique feature is the ability to change feedback modes between British and American styles. Essentially giving you two different compressor sounds to choose from.
- British - British mode utilizes a modified Altec 436 plate-to-plate style feedback. With less gain, a cleaner, more hi-fi sound and smoother operation. British mode is the big smooth tube compressor voicing.
- American - American mode lets more harmonics and color come through, instantly changing your BG2 to a different animal altogether. The sound is rich, lively and robust.
There is a compression on/off switch that removes the side-chain tube, turning the compressor into a line amp. With the compression turned off, you can drive it into distortion. You can achieve different colors of distortion with both the feedback and input selection switches.
The BG2 has standard 600 Ohm input, or 150 ohm for more gain and transformer color. It's also useful when running a microphone directly in with no preamp.
Two BG2s can be linked with a single instrument cable via a 1/4" jack on each rear panel and the link switch on the front panel.
The BG2 build quality is impressive with a rugged chassis, custom oversized transformers, US and European capacitors and a striking US-made Simpson panel meter. It's built by hand, for people that truly appreciate thoughtful design and construction.
Highland Dynamics BG-2 Compressor Features
- Input and output controls
- Switchable feedback settings
- Fast and slow attack
- 6 release positions
- Link switch for stereo use
- 600 and 150 ohm input impedance taps
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review