Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor
The Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor is faithful reproduction to the original Fairchild and is based around 22 valves and 9 transformers! You can be sure that the Herchild 670 will imprint its signature sound all over your tracks providing that familiar tone that we have all come to love.
After decades of being so rare, hard to come by and almost considered mystical and near impossible to acquire, most people just assumed they´d never be able to actually use this legend, but don´t worry, the Herchild 670 is finally here and within reach of everyone. The original Fairchild has indeed been an essential part of the sound to so many hits during several decades.. It certainly has earned its title as the ´granddaddy´ of all compressors. Being based around 22 valves and 9 transformers you can be sure the Herchild 670 will imprint its signature sound all over your tracks providing that familiar tone that we´ve all come to love. Although it was originally designed to be used for cutting lacquer masters for vinyl albums it didn't take long for engineers to realize that it could do much more. It soon became an essential studio tool for many innovative artists, engineers and producers and could be found in most professional studios. As there were only about 500-1,000 units originally produced there just simply aren't enough to go around for everybody. Add to that the original requires quite a lot of special maintenance and after nearly 60 years there just simply aren't many still in good shape. So that´s where Heritage Audio comes in…
Heritage Audio has been able to successfully follow the original design and trace the necessary components to provide a modern day alternative. It´s taken them years, but they feel they have finally produced something so special that it´s capable of letting the old granddaddy take a long deserved rest, and make room for the new blood to take over. While staying true to the original in terms of response and sound, Heritage Audio has been able to add a few things to make it more practical in modern day studios. First off they have given direct access to the continuously variable slope control. This is something that makes the compressor so much more flexible and was only available on the original via an inconvenient screw adjustment hidden from immediate access. Then there´s the SC FILTER. Nowadays, it´s just about impossible to fathom a compressor without this feature as it´s become so important in everyday use. Here they have provided 4 different frequencies to choose from to precisely tailor your compression needs. Heritage Audio has so faithfully reproduced the exact attack and release times in the Time Constant section so you can confidently recreate the feel its ancestor. The Herchild 670 is a two channel unit so you have the option to use them independently or linked together. There are actually 4 modes of operation: Individual, Link(Stereo), LAT/VERT(MID/SIDE) & LAT/VERT Link. Using the LAT/VERT mode provides a whole new world of options to your mix.
So finally, after so many years of this being unobtainable to mere mortals, the Herchild 670 is here and within reach of everyone. Enjoy the sound that has blessed thousands and thousands of hits throughout the years. Feel the warmth as it hugs your tracks and makes them stand out proudly from all the rest.
What makes the Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Special
- The Herchild 670 makes its introduction into the upper league of professional audio to impress any and all that are lucky enough to witness it.
- A faithful reproduction of the compressor-limiter that is arguably the most iconic of all dynamics processors. The real ´Granddaddy´ of all compressors
- Now with direct access to the all-important DC THRESHOLD, basically a ´Slope´ adjustment, it´s quick and easy to vary the response from compression to limiting.
- 100% built in Madrid, Spain.Fully designed, wired and assembled at our Headquarters in Madrid.
- Finally available to any and everyone that has thought about that warm, classy sound but due to rarity and price assumed it would be impossible to attain.
- Designed with the highest quality components and operated at a high voltage to guarantee complete absence of audible thumps, with extremely low distortion and noise. Perfect for Mastering.
- Nothing less than 22 valves and 9 transformers are used to ensure the absolute highest quality possible, for when only the best will do.
- The Herchild 67 also includes a very convenient Side Chain filter to make it more at home in modern day studios.
Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor Features
- Fully tube-based Variable-Mu compression.
- 22 Valves & 9 Transformers.
- Side chain filter for modern day needs.
- Immediate access to the continuously variable slope/ratio/knee.
- All 6 of the original Attack & Release settings available.
- Clean, intelligent design to guarantee many years of easy professional use.
- That legendary sound finally available to everyone.
Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor Specifications
- Input Impedance: 2K Ohm.
- Output Impedance: 600 Ohm.
- Output Level: +30dBu clipping point.
- Frequency Response: 40Hz to 15kHz +/- 1db.
- Self Noise: Less than -82dBu.
- Harmonic Distortion: Less than 1% at any level up to +18dBu output (no limiting).
- Dimensions (W x H x L): 482mm x 265mm (6 Rack units) x 200mm.
- Weight: 13.3 Kg.
Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor Includes
- Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor
- Power Cable
- Warranty Information
What We Think
The Heritage Audio Herchild 670 is, for me, an instant icon. It has so much magic to it, it is instantly inspiring. Whether tracking, mixing, or mastering, the 670 handles it with authority. Like its little brother (the Herchild 660) it has mojo, and can be subtle to outright crushing transients out of the picture. It can be tight and punchy, to open and floating. It gives you a warm and vintage analog vibe while tailoring its behavior to what you need from it. But what makes the 670 so much more powerful is all the mode features. Independent mode give you two independent compressors in one box. Stereo Link gives you a perfect bus comp. Lat/Vert (Mid/Side) gives you a whole new bus comp and a mastering comp. Lat/Vert Link gives you a new approach to mid/side. Drum bus (straight up or in parallel processing), mix/master bus, independent mono sources in tracking or mixing, what this comp does is everything, with rich yesteryear analog vibe. - Ryan Ferris, FEA Sales
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
HERCHILD 670 by Heritage Audio
Herchild 670 "Connections & Features"
00:00 Intro 00:14 Connections 1:36 Features
Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor - Out Of The Box at Front End Audio
Check out the Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compress...
Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tube Compressor - DEMO at Front End Audio
Check out the brand new Heritage Audio Herchild 670 Stereo Tub...
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review