DBX CT-3 Cable Tester
The DBX CT-3 Cable Tester is an advanced cable testing unit allowing you to evaluate a large variety of cables with ease. Featuring a vast number of audio connectors on it as well as RJ45 and RJ11, the CT-3 can be used for testing pre-installed and long cables.
The DBX CT-3 Cable Tester offers many common connectors such as RJ45, RJ11, MIDI, Speaker Twist, XLR, RCA Phono, BNC, DIN, TRS, TS, DMX, & Banana. The DBX CT-3 Cable Tester can be split into 2 parts, a SENDER and RECEIVER so preinstalled and long cables can be tested.
How can you test a long Multicore or a cable which is inside a wall? How can you test a cable when you cant access both ends to connect a standard cable tester?
For years this solution has been available for normal CAT5 and network cables. The DBX CT-3 Cable Tester brings this new technology to the audio world and now you are able to test cables which are already pre-installed or at different parts of a building. The DBX CT-3 Cable Tester has a vast number of audio connectors on it as well as RJ45 (CAT5 and CAT6) and RJ11 (Telephone).
When troubleshooting an audio system, having a test tone is imperative. The DBX CT-3 Cable Tester has the connectors available for virtually every audio system in use. Thus most any audio device can be connected to the DBX CT-3 Cable Tester for signal verification and processing.
The signal from the Tone Generator is sent out the jacks on the left hand side of the DBX CT-3 Cable Tester. This is a balanced signal and, as indicated, the positive signal is on pins 2 and 4, and the negative signal is on pins 3. Pin 1 is grounded. If you are testing an unbalanced device the output level indicated by the Tone Level Knob is exactly half of that shown.
The Test Tone generator is strong enough to drive certain devices directly for testing without additional power. For example; a speaker may be directly connected to the DBX CT-3 Cable Tester and the 1KHZ tone may be heard from the speaker. Head-phones can be directly driven, as well as telephone lines. If you are testing a mixers Microphone Input and thereby its mic preamps, you will want to set the TONE LEVEL around -30 to -20dB. Otherwise you may overdrive the mic preamps. If you are testing a Line Input on a mixer or signal processor, set the TONE LEVEL around 0 to +3dB. For direct device testing like a speaker or headphones, set the TONE LEVEL to +7 or maximum.
DBX CT-3 Cable Tester Features
- Tests up to 8-pin cables
- 2 piece chassis for testing installed cables
- Test Tone Generator
- Allows connection between different format connectors with ease
- Banana connector continuity tester with beeper and LED indicator
- Super-rugged construction for durability and longer life
- 2 x DMX (5-pin) connectors for testing of 5 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x BNC connectors for testing of 2 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x RCA Phono connectors for testing of 2 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x XLR connectors (1 x Male, 1 x Female) for testing of 3 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x MIDI (5-pin DIN) connectors for testing of 5 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x Speaker Twist connectors for testing of 4 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x Banana connectors for testing of 1 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x 1/4 (6.3mm) TRS/TS connectors for testing of 3 pin->to pin connections
- 2 x RJ45 connectors for testing of 8P8C modular connections
- 2 x 1/8 (3.5mm) TRS/TS connectors for testing of 3 pin->to pin connections
DBX CT-3 Cable Tester Specifications
- Power Requirements: 2 x 9V batteries, one per side (Batteries not included)
- Dimensions: (W x L x H) 3.5 (8.9cm) x 5.5 (14cm) x 1.5 (3.7cm)
DBX CT-3 Cable Tester Downloads
- DBX CT-3 Cable Tester Owners Manual
- DBX CT-3 Cable Tester Quick Start Guide
- DBX CT-3 Cable Tester Safety Sheet
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Super high-quality test device, heavy and built like a tank. Would be useful for toning out cable runs etc, but cannot detect an intermittently bad mic or guitar cable, which is what I was looking for.