Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp
The Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp features two channels of creamy, smooth tone with a surprisingly open, clear top end. This preamp is a recreation of the rare EMI TG12428 preamp used in EMI/Abbey Road recording and mastering consoles in the late 60s and early 70s!
The Chandler Limited TG2 Pre Amp/DI is a recreation of the rare EMI TG12428 pre amp used in EMI/Abbey Road recording and mastering consoles in the late 60s and early 70s. The sound was used on many famous recordings done at Abbey Road including The Beatles "Abbey Road" and Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon." This microphone preamp features the same discrete transformer balanced amplifiers as the TG series limiter and offers a creamy, smooth tone with a surprisingly open, clear top end. The sound, as explained by many users, has "warmth" and punch, but with a "beautiful" expanded top end. In fact the unit does have a small rise in its top end frequency response and some warmth inducing distortion which contribute to its sound.
All TG units require and function on the Chandler Limited PSU-1 Power Supply which is not included. The PSU-1 has an internal switch for setting voltage to 120V or 220V (115V/230V).
Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp Features
- Direct In: This is an unbalanced high impedance input for guitar, bass, samples etc. The switch bypasses the mic transformer and feeds directly to the amplifier. The naturally high impedance of the amp causes no loading. The DI switch on the front panel can also be used as a mute switch when using the rear panel mic input.
- Input Gain Control: Features a transformer balanced input with 5-75 db of gain.
- Output Control: Functioning as a console fader, this control is placed after the gain stage and before the output stage. This allows for trimming of the input signal between the 5 db steps on the input switch, as well as allowing the user to run the input very hot (for extra coloration) without distorting the recorder. In most cases this will be left in the full position.
- Phase reverse and 48 volt phantom power switches
- Impedance Switch: This allows for switching the input from 1200 ohm to 300 ohm values to match any mic.
- Summing Option (on back panel): The signal is mixed from both preamps and is sent to the output of the second channel. You can now bypass your console using great sounding discrete circuits and maintain a minimal signal path.
Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp Specifications
- CHANNELS: Dual Mono
- CIRCUIT: Discrete, Transistor
- Gain: +5db to +75db
- Input Impedance: 1200 to 300 Ohm
- I/O: XLR, Transformer Balanced, Pin 2 Hot; DI, 1/4" Unbalanced, 100k input impedance - All Connections Transformer Balanced Pin 2 Hot
- Phantom Power: +48v
- Power: ±28v - Requires Chandler Limited PSU-1 MKII power supply (Purchased Separately)
Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp Includes
- Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp Unit
- Manual & Literature
- Power Supply Cable - Chandler Limited PSU-1 MKII power supply (Purchased Separately)
What We Think
The Chandler Limited TG2 Microphone Preamp is one of the quickest ways to add some serious musical harmonic distortion and vintage character to your recordings - Thick, weighty, meaty tone that just oozes sonic goodness - two channels at a time. Play an acoustic guitar into it - things become pretty apparent very quickly: this is a VERY familiar sound. You grew up listening to this preamp. However, this is a very different sound, though, than what you find in a 1073 - another preamp that you grew up listening to. There is a certain pillowy low-air in the TG preamp that acts as a shock-absorber throughout the spectrum to hard transient. Now that's not to say that they disappear or the crack of a snare drum loses its impact - quite the contrary. In fact, that light perceived softness derived from the transformer being leaned on in just the right way, can often negate the need top shaving compression for the cleaner tones. One of our favorite ways to use the TG2 is in conjunction with the Roll Music Folcrom RMS216 Summing Buss. This is a fantastic way to wring out some additional character from your mixes. There's nothing quite like mixing into a classic amplifier circuit through a passive summing network (the way the old-school consoles were designed) and the TG2 provides the perfect stage for such a system tweak. Pound for pound (sterling or other) we've found that the TG2 is perhaps one of the best values when it comes to EMI / Abbey Road preamps. We think you'll feel the same way, too.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review