Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp
The Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp is a warm and smooth vintage-style mic preamp with a wide range of controls to enhance your palette of sound!
The Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp is a completely new design by Chandler Limited designer Wade Goeke. The preamp uses classic germanium transistors in a class A, transformer balanced circuit. The use of germanium devices opens a whole new sound palette not found in any pro audio equipment currently manufactured. These incredibly smooth sounding transistors were the basis of the earliest transistor designs by Neve (1053, 1055, 1057), EMI (TG12345 MKI), Telefunken, and Fairchild. Those familiar with these units can attest to the special sound of the germanium transistor. The Germanium series runs on +40 volt power, high current, and has a huge +34 output before clipping. The sound is warm and smooth as with many vintage style circuits, but you'll find a whole new world of smooth here, as well as a sound that settles in perfectly to your tracks without fighting. The Germanium uses Chandler's new custom wound transformers that combine the best parts of our favorite St. Ives and Gardner input and output transformers.
This Chandler Limited unit requires a PSU-1 Power Supply. The PSU-1 can power two Chandler units. If your Germanium preamp starts to oscillate with the "thick" button engaged, this is normal. To stop the oscillation, simply engage the "pad" button and it should resolve.
Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp Features
- DI Input: Unbalanced 1/4" jack with 100k input impedance
- Germanium Drive Control: Controls the input gain of the Germanium amp. The amount of gain from this is related to the Feedback control position.
- 48 volt and Phase Reverse switches
- Pad and "Thick" switches: Both of these can be used to greatly control the tone of the pre amp. Use Pad to run the Drive and Feedback controls near full for increased low end and harmonic distortion. The thick adds a gentle low frequency rise for warmth and roundness.
- Feedback Control: Controls the amount of signal fed from the amplifier output back into its input, as well as acting as a volume type control. This knob seriously affects the tone of the unit. With feedback to the left there is less volume, less Total Harmonic Distortion, lower noise floor, and more high frequencies. With feedback to the right there is more volume, more Total Harmonic Distortion, and a low end peak around 30hz. Combine this with the Germanium Drive control, Thick, and Pad switches for a cool variety of sounds.
- VU Range switch: Low range -12 to +3 db. High range +5 to +20 db.
- VU Meter: 10 segment LED meter that shows the unit output in two ranges.
Chandler Limited Germanium Preamp Specifications
- CHANNELS: Mono
- CIRCUIT: Discrete, Transistor
- Gain: -5 to +65 db
- Mic Input Impedance: 1200 to 300 Ohm
- I/O: XLR, Transformer Balanced, Pin 2 Hot
- DI, 1/4″ Unbalanced, 100k input impedance
- Phantom Power: +48v
- Power: +/-28v
- Requires the Chandler Limited PSU-1 MKII power supply
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review