Chandler Limited Germanium Compressors
The Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor is an extremely flexible Germanium-outfitted compressor with a clean/dirty setting, different compression curves, sidechain control, wet/dry mix knob, and the usual Chandler Feedback control! These units are factory matched by Chandler so you know you will have an identical pair of compressors.
The Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor starts with the same all class A amp found in the Germanium Pre and Tone Control and is transformer balanced in and out. The Compression circuit uses a FET gain reduction element, but includes the tricks and flexibilty of all the Germanium units. Some of the most notable additions include a Wet/Dry mix control (for submixing tracks within the comp), Comp Curve (which selects the knee using various diode combinations), Clean/Dirty Comp, and Sidechain Filter. Many of the Germanium Compressor parameters have been purposely set by studio use and listening, not by over analyzing them with test gear. The result is a musical powerhouse that is ready for tracking, mixing, and mastering.
This matched pair requires a PSU-1 Power Supply. The PSU-1 can power two Chandler units.
Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor Features
- Hardware Bypass: Use this full bypass to check the sound of the compressor as well as to compare tonal differences between the Gain and Feedback settings
- Input: Drives the input to the compressor harder or softer - similar to the TG1
- Dirty Comp/Clean Comp Toggle: FET compressor are known for high amounts of distortion. This is usually compensated for int he design. The Dirty Comp removes only unwanted harsh distortion and leaves all the 2nd and 3rd harmonics in place. With Dirt Comp in, THD ranges from 2 to 5% and adds vibrance and elegance by the bucket load. In Clean Comp, THD ranges from .2 to .5%.
- Sidechain Control: This extremely useful feature allows the Germanium Compressor to be used anywhere. On mixes, kick drum, and bass, you can easily adjust how much low-end the sidechain section sees. Excellent for intense tracks and mixes where you need precise control of frequency.
- Ratio Control: This is one of the ear-selected parameters. Each is set by listening instead of equations and math. The ratios go from very gentle to hard, punchy FET smash!
- Compressor Curve Control: The Germanium Compressor uses resistors, germanium diodes, silicon diodes, zener diodes, or diode combinations to control the ratio of the compressor. Each setting will show its own true character while adjusting the compressor's curves. The resistance and Germanium settings are very gentle, while the silicon and zener grab harder. This is another ear-selected control.
- Wet/Dry Control: Used to mix the compressed signal with the unprocessed original signal coming into the unit, this functions much like using a submix or parallel compressor except within one box. Combines the tight, punchy compressed sound without dampening the attack and intensity of the original. Awesomely effective!
- Attack and Release Controls: Selected by ear while listening to numerous pre-recorded tracks. Fast to slow.
- Link switch: Links stereo to full surround!
- Germanium Drive Control: This controls the output gain of the Germanium amp. The amount of gain from this is related to the Feedback control position.
- Feedback Control: Changes the amount of signal fed from the amplifier output back back to its input. As well as acting as a volume-type control, this knob seriously affects the tone of the unit. With feedback to the left there is less volume, less Total Harmonic Distortion, and more high frequencies. With feedback to the right there is more volume, more Total Harmonic Distortion, and a low-end peak around 30hz.
Chandler Limited Germanium Compressor Specifications
- CHANNELS: Mono
- CIRCUIT: Discrete, Transistor
- CONNECTIONS I/O: XLR
- Link: TRS - All Connections Transformer Balanced Pin 2 Hot
- POWER: ±28v - Requires Chandler Limited PSU-1 MKII power supply.
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review