Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier
The Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier is identical in every way to Chameleons flagship 7603 pre-amplifier, except for the use of Carnhill UK manufactured input and output transformers. While the 7603 features newly custom designed and in-house wound transformers which recreate the originals, some folks will still want the consistently reliable and great sounding Carnhill transformers. For those folks, Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier is the 7603 for them.
As with the 7603, the fundamental design architecture of the Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier retraces the path of revered, classic pre-amps of the past as well as Chameleon Labs' popular 7602, however Chameleon Labs has chosen to continue the tradition created by the Chameleon Labs 7602 XMod, allowing users to revel in the character and performance afforded by Carnhill's legendary English components.
Displaying the same high dynamics and low distortion as the "vanilla" 7603, the Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier simply provides a different character to the sound of the pre-amplifier.
Once your audio exits the input transformer, Chameleon Labs' circuit boards are carefully crafted to ensure the highest possible signal integrity. As a starting point, they developed a new discrete audio input gain stage based on their vision for a solid topology that provides extremely low noise, high dynamics and extreme bandwidth. All of the Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifiers operational amplifiers used throughout its design are based on this topology.
The Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier features EQ stages with four different available adjustments - Variable High Pass, Low Frequency Shelving, Mid Frequency and High Frequency Shelving. Our engineers made a conscious decision to stay with the same, desirable, inductor-based topology that made their 7602 so popular, however Chameleon Labs implemented their new discrete Op Amp to drive signal through a new set of custom Chameleon designed and manufactured inductors, providing the musicality we all love to use.
Its output stage is unique with respect to its design and performance. It can be described as a variable gain circuit that simultaneously adjusts both the input and output levels in order to generate a lower noise floor and extraordinary audio performance.
The Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier provides a desirable set of user selectable functions designed to make the unit flexible and an integral part of the artistic process, incorporating a full portfolio of traditional features as well as some not commonly seen on other pre-amps.
Just like with the classic Neve designs which inspire these devices, microphone input impedance can be selected between 300 and 1200 ohms, providing a method by which a microphone can be more ideally matched to the input stage and making it easier to get the best from lower output microphones such as ribbon-based designs.
Lastly, Chameleon Labs added a low impedance Direct Input on the front panel for plugging in instruments such as guitars that can be run through the line input stage, and added a precision VU meter with custom ballistics for visual monitoring of either the input or output levels.
Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier Features
- UK Carnhill Microphone and Line Input transformers and Carnhill UK output transformer, all with mu-metal housings
- High resolution, low noise discrete audio circuitry
- Hi-Z Direct Instrument Input (TRS)
- Discrete Class A Electronic Topology
- Three band, inductor based EQ
- 48V phantom power for mic input
- Selectable 300Ω or 1200Ω Mic Input Impedance
- Custom VU meter (input/output) with calibrated ballistics
- Relay based selection of Line / Mic & DI Inputs
- Overload input and output indicators
- Reverse Phase Switch
- Universal, on-board power supply
Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier Specifications
- User Controlled Functions
- On Switch: Turn Pre Amp On - VU Meter Light
- 300Ω / 1200Ω Switch: Switch between 300Ω and 1200Ω input impedance for the mic input
- 48V Power Supply Switch: On/Off
- DI Switch: Direct Input with 100KΩ input sensitivity
- EQ Switch: Engages audio high pass filter and equalization circuits
- Polarity Switch: Reverses the polarity of the audio signal
- Mic/Line Sensitivity Switch: +20dB to +70dB of mic boost and -30dB to +20dB of line level adjustment.
- High Pass Filter: Provides a 15dB/octave high pass filter at 40Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz and 320Hz
- Low Frequency Equalization: Provides +/-15dB of Boost or Cut at 35Hz, 60Hz, 110Hz or 220Hz
- Mid Frequency Equalization: Provides +/-15dB of Boost or Cut at 360Hz, 700Hz, 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8kHz or 7.2kHz
- High Frequency Equalization: Provides +/-15dB of Boost or Cut at 3.4kHz, 4.9kHz, 7kHz, 12kHz or 16kHz
- Microphone (XLR): Transformer balanced input, RF isolated
- Line (XLR): Transformer balanced input, RF isolated
- Direct In (1/4 TRS): High impedance instrument input
- Input Impedance
- Microphone: 300Ω or 1200Ω
- Line: 10kΩ line bridging from 600Ω or lower source impedance
- Direct Input: 100kΩ
- Microphone: From -70dBm to -20dBm in 5 dB steps for 0dBm output
- Line: From -30 dBm to +20 dBm in 5 dB steps for 0 dBm output
- Noise Specification: Better than -125dBm EIN between -80 and -40 dBm referenced to 600Ω input impedance, SNR 116dB at maximum output
- Output Type: Transformer balanced and floating to drive 600 Ω load
- Maximum Output: +28dBu into 600Ω load impedance
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 20kHz -0.5dB 10Hz - 50kHz -1dB
- VU Meter Light: Power ON
- Red Input Gain: Input Overload
- Red Output Gain: Output Overload
- Power Supply
- 100V - 240V (50/60Hz): Switch mode power supply, fully shielded 3 amp peak output capability, quiescent consumption 0.5 Watts
- 1RU Steel enclosure
- Aluminum front panel
- Laser etched graphics
- Milled aluminum knobs
Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier Includes
- Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier
- Manual & Literature
- IEC Power Cable
Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier Downloads
- Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- Chameleon Labs 7603 XMod Microphone Preamplifier Spec Sheet (PDF)
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review