The Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Audio Interface is the first Thunderbolt 2 audio interface to offer superior sound quality, the lowest latency performance and the most comprehensive studio functionality all in one box.
The Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Audio Interface includes 8 Advanced Stepped Gain mic preamps, monitor controller functionality including talkback, front panel Guitar I/O, two headphone outputs and digital connectivity for a total of 30 x 34 I/O. Blending acclaimed innovations, groundbreaking new features and an effortless user interface, Ensemble empowers you to capture inspiration when creative lightning strikes. Launched in 2007, the first Ensemble re-defined the possibilities of the personal studio interface, setting new standards of quality, simplicity and value. Winning that year's TEC Award for Digital Audio Technology, Ensemble went on to become the preferred interface for thousands of hit-making producers, engineers and artists. Now, with 30 years of digital audio expertise and the latest technological innovations, Apogee has re-built Ensemble to introduce the next generation of music creation technology. Ensemble delivers the full potential of Thunderbolt 2 performance with the lowest latency, unmatched CPU efficiency, 2 ports for expanding your system and a revolutionary 32-bit playback signal path.
The Lowest Latency of any Audio Interface
Ensemble's proprietary Thunderbolt driver has been written from the ground up for Mac OS X Mavericks, resulting in unmatched performance and efficiency. Latency has been reduced to an astounding 1.1ms round-trip*, allowing you to monitor through your DAW, plug-ins included, simplifying your workflow and leveraging the power of your Mac. Even when your session's DSP demands require a higher buffer setting, Ensemble's ultra-low latency means no longer having to choose between power and speed. To accommodate different workflow preferences, Ensemble features optional direct hardware monitoring through Apogee's Maestro App with 0.6ms of latency.
Devours Bits, Sips CPU
Ensemble's custom driver includes two innovative features to maximize the performance of the software-hardware interface: a full 32-bit signal path from the output of your DAW straight to the highperformance ESS DAC, and a revolutionary Direct Memory Access (DMA) engine to more efficiently read and write data directly to Mac memory independent of the Mac CPU. The DMA engine, running on Ensemble's hardware logic chip, reads digital audio data directly from your Mac's memory in a 32-bit format, increasing the driver's efficiency and providing the highest resolution signal possible to the DAC stage. This implementation allows the driver to crunch an enormous amount of data at an amazing speed, while making a very light demand on your Mac CPU. You benefit with lower latency, more plug-in power, and a transparent and encompassing listening experience.
Expanding Your System
Intel's Thunderbolt technology was made for connecting multiple high bandwidth peripherals to your Mac. Ensemble includes two Thunderbolt 2 ports for conveniently connecting hard drive arrays, video capture devices and Thunderbolt monitors with up to 4k resolution from a single port.
A Difference You Will Hear
Apogee is an award-winning industry leader in digital recording technology with over 25 years of experience. Preferred by recording pros around the world, Apogee products like Duet, Quartet, the original Ensemble and Symphony I/O have been instrumental in creating countless GRAMMY and OSCAR winning recordings and have set the industry standard in professional recording for over two decades. Ensemble is built solidly on this reputation. From the mic preamps to the AD/DA converters and the clocking, Ensemble is best-in-class and cutting-edge Apogee technology. With components carefully selected in critical listening tests and a highly efficient circuit design, Ensemble was built by Apogee engineers to make a difference you can hear
Measurably Superior A/D Conversion
Ensemble's analog-to-digital conversion stage has been upgraded from previous generations of Apogee products such as Duet and Quartet to provide greater dynamic range, lower distortion and an almost non-existent noise level.
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Details Features
- Thunderbolt 2 Mac audio interface
- Analog-to-digital conversion (ADC) for recording up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Proprietary Thunderbolt audio driver and ESS Sabre32 DAC offer full 32-bit playback
- Groundbreaking low latency performance
- Core Audio-optimized hardware engine frees your Mac CPU
- 2 high-resolution OLED displays show levels and settings
- Input select buttons and controller knob for convenient selection of parameters and settings
- 4 assignable buttons to control:
- Talkback mic (built-in or external)
- Output settings such as speaker set selection, mute, dim, sum to mono Complete input/output control with Apogee's Maestro software
- Works with Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton and any Core Audio compliant app on Mac
- Designed in California and Assembled in the U.S.A.
- Includes Waves Gold Plugin Bundle (an $800 value!)
- 35 essential audio plugins for mixing
- and mastering.
- Industry's most popular plugin bundle
- Includes compressors, equalizers, reverbs,
- effects and more.
- Gold Plugin Bundle available as
- download only.
- Connect two Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt interfaces to your Mac to double your analog inputs and outputs
- All-new Apogee Control software replaces Maestro 2 and features a modern user interface you can customize for your workflow
- Apogee Control software also lets you control Ensemble Thunderbolt with an iOS remote app and the Apogee Control hardware remote
- Connect any Apogee Element interface to your Ensemble Thunderbolt and expand your system with Ensemble quality I/O at unprecedented prices
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Details Specifications
- Mac OS:
- Computer: Thunderbolt-equipped Mac (iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM minimum, 8 GB recommended
- OS: 10.9.3 or greater
- Connection: Any available Thunderbolt port on a Mac
- Compatible Software:
- Any Mac Core Audio compatible application
- Recommended apps: Logic Pro, Pro Tools, GarageBand, MainStage, Final Cut, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Studio One, Cubase, and Nuendo
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Recently I began to search ADDA to upgrade the system. Before I made the final decision, Apogee Ensemble came into my target list to better the audio interface stage. This device is benefited from apogee's steady AD/DA tech base, giving a neutral stand point above test data achievement. It is so important that without "neutral" we will never be capable of doing reference recording but "making" sound in a certain degree. BTW, with good power amp/speakers or headphones, apogee ensemble's output will challenge all your fixed memories on familiar old CDs! And I suggest burning into minimum 30 hours before review its DAC.
Really useful product - the converters are top notch. Very versatile and flexible - amazing what is crammed into 1 rack space!
Quite simply, I've gotten this thing to capture the best recordings I've ever made. The conversion is high quality, the mic pres are clean with lots of gain, and the i/o is more than sufficient to produce a very high quality record. Feels very well built yet it only takes up a single rack space. Very pleased with my Ensemble. Blows my old Presonus unit away in sound quality.