Front End Audio has a fantastic deal on this factory direct B-Stock compressor! This WA-1B arrived to us directly from Warm Audio quality control where they deemed it as "B-Stock" for whatever reason. They have fully inspected this compressor and you will be hard pressed to find a flaw! However, in the nature of being B-Stock, do expect a minor cosmetic issue but rest assured that it will have absolutely no impact on the functionality or performance of this compressor. Otherwise, this compressor is brand new and carries a full manufacturers warranty. This is your opportunity to grab a deal on a "just like new" WA-1B from Warm Audio!
The Warm Audio WA-1B Optical Compressor accurately recreates world-class Scandinavian compression combining smooth tube-optical warmth with precision controls. The Warm Audio WA-1B accurately recreates world-class Scandinavian compression, combining smooth tube-optical warmth with precision controls. Like its original inspiration, favored by producers and engineers from Chris Lord-Alge to Rick Rubin, the WA-1B delivers that revered “forgiving” musical compression of tube-optical circuitry with speed and control more closely associated with modern dynamics processing.
To deliver extended dynamics processing, the WA-1B features all of the classic controls of its modern-classic inspiration.
- Threshold: The WA-1B supports a variable threshold giving maximum control to the user regarding how much compression is applied to any signal at various input levels.
- Ratio: The WA-1B ratio is variable and has infinite controls between 2:1 and 10:1. From soft musical dynamic control all the way to hard-smashing compression!
- Attack & Release: The Attack/Release controls on the WA-1B are unique in that the attack/release operations can be switched from a fixed setting, manual (variable) setting, or a combined setting. In the “fixed” mode, the WA-1B delivers the natural attack & release time of the optical element. The combined setting in particular creates the opportunity for a more nuanced release-time curve. This dueling time-constant circuit operation is a special feature of the WA-1B and its original inspiration.
- Meter Switch: The WA-1B meter switch has three settings: input, compression, and output levels. Set to “input”, the VU meter is reading the level at the input connector. Set to “compression”, the VU meter is reading gain reduction. The steady-state is "0", and the amount of compression is shown as the needle moving right-to-left away from 0dB. Set to “output”, the VU meter is reading the level at the output connector.
- On/Bypass: The on/bypass switch on the WA-1B activates or bypasses the compressor. This is a hard bypass, meaning no signal passes through the circuitry in bypass mode.
The WA-1B is a 270v circuit with handwired through-hole circuitry, and 100% discrete analog signal path. The custom large-core transformers from Lundahl Sweden bring the full Scandinavian-style analog tone of the WA-1B circuit to life. Paired with select tubes from JJ and Tung-Sol, the high-precision optical element applies sweet analog warmth to audio signals with unrivaled accuracy.
Hand-Tested In Austin, TX
Like all Warm Audio gear, the WA-1B is meticulously hand-tested and inspected by trained technicians with a passion for making music in Austin, TX USA.
Warm Audio WA-1B Optical Compressor Applications
- Natural, Versatile Vocal Compression
- Shape & Control Bass Signals So They Sit Just-Right In The Mix
- Add Pro Compression To Dynamic Sources Without Destroying The Performance
Warm Audio WA-1B Optical Compressor Features
- Accurately recreating world-class Scandinavian compression combining smooth tube-optical warmth with precision controls
- True-to-spec 270 volt, 100% discrete analog signal path - handwired with through-hole components
- Transformer-balanced fully floating input and output - Custom-core large transformers from Scandinavian Manufacturer, Lundahl in Sweden
- 12AX7 Tung-Sol & JJ 12AU7 tubes
- Two bus connectors to connect multiple sidechains
- Meter (VU) input, output, or compression amount
- Linear, low-noise power supply with toroidal power transformer
Warm Audio WA-1B Optical Compressor Specifications
- Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 25 kHz
- Self-Noise: < -75 dBU @ 30 dB gain
- CMRR: > 60 dB @ 10 kHz
- Ratio: from 2:1 to 10:1
- Variable Threshold: Off to -40 dBU
- Continuously variable attack and release times: fast-slow
- Output gain: Off to +30 dBU
- Input impedance: 600Ω
Warm Audio WA-1B Optical Compressor Includes
- Warm Audio WA-1B Optical Compressor
- Power Cable
- Owners Manual
- Manufacturer Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review