Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder
The Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder is a versatile four-track audio recorder perfect for cinema, music, podcasting and any other application. It features an easy-to-use compact design with a high-performance feature set and versatile audio I/O, all to produce professional content.
The Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder is the latest generation of professional handheld recorders and is the successor to Tascam's popular DR-40 recorder.
Professional Deal for Live Capture - Line Level Input
Dual Neutrik® XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4dBu line-level. These inputs can accept balanced microphone or line level from Mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings with condenser microphones, as well as electret type microphones. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the audience while recording direct from an external console, which is ideal for capturing live performances.
Wide Covering Range - From Whispering Voice to Jet Engine
The Tascam DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from small whispers to loud sounds up to 125dB SPL. These built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X-Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A-B pattern for a more ambient recording.
The layout of the Tascam DR-40X has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away.
Choose Your Language
Menu display of the Tascam DR-40X supports 10 languages (English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ German/ Russian/ Chinese/ Korean/ Japanese/ Portuguese).
Extended Battery Life
The Tascam DR-40X uses only three AA batteries and has ultra-long battery capability. When using built-in microphones, recording lasts 17.5 hours when recording with standard 2ch WAV, 44.1kHz/ 16bit format using alkaline batteries. Also the Tascam DR-40X can be powered by a USB mobile battery as well for super long extended use.
Turning Your Room Into a Studio – in a Minute
Connecting to a PC using USB Audio interface mode, and the Tascam DR-40X becomes a tool for voiceover work, live streaming and songwriting with studio-quality audio. Built-in microphones work as USB microphones.
Back Up Your Transcription Work - Record and Play with One Unit
Writing down what you hear – Easier said than done, but it is actually easy with Tascam DR-40X. In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, the Tascam DR-40X can help you with its Jump back function, variable Speed function and equalizer preset for human voice.
Four-Track Recording Mode Gives You Several Options to Record
In addition to normal stereo channel recording and Dual Recording mode, the Tascam DR-40X has “4CH Mode” that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; recording the built-in microphones along with a pair of external Mics such as close-up and ambient microphones, or recording the built-in Mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the room.
No Need to Go Through “Take 2” All Over Again
If you don’t like the last part of a phrase you just recorded with your guitar, or if you change your mind and want to rephrase narration, the “Overwrite mode” is exactly what you need. Overwrite mode allows punch-in recording from a desired point. It is destructive editing with one level of undo.
The overdubbing function allows for Overdub Recording while playing a previously recorded file. This allows you to record other parts such as a guitar solo over a recording previously made such as at a rehearsal studio. Overdubbing creates a new file, leaving the original file unaffected, making it easy to re-record.
192 Hours - This is How Long You Can Record CD-Quality Sound with Single SDXC Card
The Tascam DR-40X support a SDXC card, which can record longer with larger data capacity. If you record one stereo file in 44.1kHz/ 16bit CD quality, 128GB card holds 192 hours maximum. In MP3/ 320kbps, it can record up to 896 hours. (that is 37 days!).
Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder Features
- High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in A-B and X-Y positions
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V
- 4-Channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
- Support multiple languages for menu (ENG/FRA/DEU/ITA/ESP/RUS/PRT/JPN/CHI/KOR)
- Overwrite function for Punch-In recording with one level of Undo
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S microphones
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
- Long-time operation of maximum 18 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Reverb effect
- Auto recording function
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Low-cut filter with three levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM and MP3
- SD/ SDHC/ SDXC (up to 128GB) can be used for recording media
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer using USB 2.0
- Powered by 3 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520E)
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder Specifications
- Recording Media: SD Card (64MB to 2GB), SDHC Card (4GB to 32GB), SDXC Card (Up to 128GB)
- File System: FAT16/32, exFAT
- Recording File Format:
- WAV / BWF:
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1k / 48k / 96k Hz
- Bit-Depth: 16 / 24-bit
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1k / 48k Hz
- Recording Bit-Rate: 32k / 64k / 96k / 128k / 192k / 256k / 320k bps
- Playback Bit-Rate: 32k to 320k bps, VBR, ID3TAG Ver. 2.4
- WAV / BWF:
- Number of Channels: 4-Channel (2 Stereo)
- Playback Speed Control: 0.5 to 2.0 Times (in 0.1 increments) 44.1k/48kHz Only
- Built-in Microphone: Unidirectional, Stereo (Switchable Between A-B and X-Y Positions)
- EXT MIC/LINE IN:
- Connector: XLR/TRS Combo Jack (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
- Nominal Input Level: -19dBV (MIC) / +4dBu (LINE)
- Maximum Input Level: -3dBV (MIC) / +20dBu (LINE)
- Input Impedance: 2.2kO (MIC) / 10kO (LINE)
- PHONES/LINE OUT:
- Connector: 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini Jack (Unbalanced)
- For LINE Connection:
- Nominal Output Level: -14dBV (10kO Load)
- Maximum Output Level: +2dBV (10kO Load)
- Output Impedance: 12O
- For Headphones Connection:
- Maximum Output Power: 20mW + 20mW (32O Load)
- Connector: USB Micro B-Type
- Format: USB2.0 HIGH SPEED
- Built-In Speaker: 0.3W, Mono
- Low-Cut Filter: 40 / 80 / 120Hz
- Chromatic Tuner: C1 to B6, A4 = 435Hz to 445Hz (in 1Hz Increments)
- Effector: 6 Presets (Hall 1, Hall 2, Room, Studio, Plate 1, Plate 2)
- Tripod Attachment Screw-Hole: 1/4" Tripod Attachment Screw-Hole
- Power: 3 AA Batteries, USB Bus Power, AC 100 to 240V (Optional AC Adapter)
- Power Consumption: 2.5 W (Max)
- Battery Operation Time (Recording):
- Alkaline (EVOLTA): Approx. 18 Hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)
- Ni-MH (eneloop): Approx. 16 Hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)
- Dimensions (W × H × D): 2.75" × 6.1" × 1.37" / 70 × 155 × 35 mm
- Weight: 8.3 oz. / 213 g
Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder Includes
- 1 x Tascam DR-40X Digital Recorder
- 3 x AA Alkaline Batteries
- 1 x Tilt Foot
- 1 x Owners Manual
- 1 Year Warranty
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Very easy to use, makes solid recordings. Ive used this for field recording and have achieved detailed yet flexible results. Switches from X-Y to OTRF patterns in a flash--excellent feature. Doing sound design work, this handy little recorder has been very useful! I definitely recommend this for on-the -fly recording.
This Tascam is awesome!