The sE Electronics RN17 Small Diaphragm Microphone is the world's first pencil microphone with a large-scale, hand-wound, ultra high performance transformer, designed with Mr. Rupert Neve. With a 15mm diaphragm (the world's smallest production gold-sputtered diaphragm), the transient response of the RN17 is unparalleled and it redefines the capabilities of small-diaphragm condensers.
The sE Electronics RN17 Small Diaphragm Microphone is the second product of the sE / Rupert Neve collaboration. Work on the sE Electronics RN17 began with a discussion between Rupert and Siwei Zou on the merits and problems of small-diaphragm condensers. According to Siwei, "The SDC's problem is that they have a very clear sound - the SPL is high, but the sound is very cold, not like with a large diaphragm. The quality of the transformer can make the sound much, much better - but with a small transformer, nobody can do it." "Rupert told me, 'I want THIS transformer.' I said, 'That transformer is too big. This is a small-capsule microphone. Impossible.' He said, 'I want the impossible to be possible.'"
The Small Diaphragm
With a 15mm diaphragm (the world's smallest production gold-sputtered diaphragm), the transient response of the sE Electronics RN17 is unparalleled. Such a small capsule reacts extremely quickly, and is therefore adept at picking up the most delicate of high-frequency content. However, a tiny diaphragm usually results in a lack of low-frequency response. How to counter this?
The Massive Transformer
Made obvious by the unusual chassis shape, the sE Electronics RN17's transformer is substantially larger than the norm. This full-scale transformer was custom-designed by Rupert Neve specifically for this sE Electronics RN17 Microphone - and nobody has been designing audio transformers longer (or better) than Rupert Neve. With an audio transformer of this magnitude, the sE Electronics RN17 is able to put out astonishing clarity across ALL frequencies - not just the highs. The mid-range is detailed and forward, the lows are full and accurate, and the whole microphone has a balance and headroom never before achieved with a small-capsule microphone.
Matte Black Finish
The matte black finish minimizes the level of visual attention drawn to the microphone when used on stage or in the studio, allowing it to blend into the background.
The sE Electronics RN17 ships standard with a cardioid capsule, but additional capsules are available for purchase separately.
Custom Shock Mount
Every sE Electronics RN17 includes a custom-designed, sturdy, protective, and easy-to-use shock mount, which is essential to reducing the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand.
sE Electronics RN17 Small Diaphragm Microphone Features
- Constructed using the finest quality electronic components
- Extensively tested to provide you with years of trouble-free operation
- The world's first pencil microphone with a large-scale, hand-wound, ultra high performance transformer
- 15mm Diaphragm (the world's smallest production gold-sputtered diaphragm)
- Redefines the capabilities of small-diaphragm condensers
- The matte black finish minimizes the level of visual attention drawn to the mic
- Custom-designed, sturdy, protective, and easy-to-use shock mount
sE Electronics RN17 Small Diaphragm Microphone Specifications
- Capsule Type: Hand-Crafted True Condenser
- Diaphragm: 17.2mm Gold/Mylar
- Directional Pattern: Cardioid (omnidirectional capsule available separately)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 5.96 mV/Pa (-44.5dB)
- Sensitivity (Figure-8): 2.51 mV/Pa (-52dB)
- Max SPL: 131 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 76 dB
- Self Noise: 18 dB(A) (cardioid), 15 dB(A) (omni)
- Matching Connectors: XLR3F
- Power Requirement: 48V phantom
- Weight: 320g / 11.32oz
- Weight (Figure-8): 330g / 11.64oz
- Diameter: 44 mm (transformer), 17mm (capsule)
- Length: 200 mm
sE Electronics RN17 Small Diaphragm Microphone Includes
- sE Electronics RN17
- Custom Shock Mount
- Cardioid Capsule
- Wooden Display Box
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review