Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone Package
The Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone Package pulls together both the famed Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone with it's most compatible mount mate, the Royer RSM-SS1 'Sling Shock' Suspension.
The Royer R-121 is a microphone worthy of a world class suspension / shock mount. As it normally ships, the R-121 usually includes what is referred to as a "courtesy mount" which is little more than a plastic mic clip with a spring and some glued in neoprene to keep it from slipping (a lot). You wouldn't feel that it is a proper mount for such a lovely microphone... and really, neither do we!
So, for a limited time, we're offering the Royer R-121 together with the Royer RSM-SS1 'Sling Shock' Suspension Shock Mount for a special low price! So, if you've ever wanted to get the rich and punchy tones only available with the Royer R-121, then now's the time to snag one for your very own.
Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone
Released in 1998, the award-winning R-121 is Royer's flagship microphone; the world's first radically re-engineered ribbon microphone and the model that reintroduced ribbon mics to engineers around the world. The Royer R-121 gives all of the warmth and natural sound that experienced engineers have long turned to ribbon mics for, but in a compact, light-weight, high output and tough-as-nails package that was unheard of in a ribbon mic before the Royer R-121. In its nearly twenty years in the market, thousands of Royer R-121's have been sold around the world and it's well established as a standard for tracking electric guitar and brass.
The Royer R-121 redefined ribbon microphones so completely that Recording Magazine wrote "...the Royer R-121 is destined to become one of the classic microphones of the 21st century."
Like many of the best classic ribbon mics, the Royer R-121 has a figure-8 pattern, output level comparable to a dynamic mic, and a warm, realistic tone and flat frequency response. But that's where the similarities end. By using advanced materials and a blend of cutting edge and old-school, hand-build construction techniques, the R-121 is an extremely versatile and user-friendly ribbon mic that can stand up to the most demanding tasks. Cranked up electric guitars, close up brass, drums - you name it, the R-121 will help you record it with realism you have to hear to believe.
Royer builds the Royer R-121 solid enough to give it a lifetime warranty. You should expect to own it for as long as you record, and we'll all stand behind it the whole way.
The Royer R-121's proprietary offset ribbon transducer (Patent # 6,434,252) is the first of its kind, positioning the ribbon element closer to the front (logo) side of the microphone. This arrangement gives the ribbon more room to move within the prime magnetic field while maintaining full frequency response during high SPL recordings. It's an integral piece of the magic of all Royer R-series microphones.
Royer RSM-SS1 'Sling Shock'
The all new Sling-Shock (Patent No. 8,571,250) is a revolutionary departure from traditional shock mount designs. Royer has done away with the rubberized parts and elastic cords, producing a durable shock mount that gives superior isolation from vibrations.
In the Royer tradition, the Sling-Shock is hand-built in their Burbank, CA facility using only the finest materials.
Royer's proprietary system of non-resonant nylon cable and damped steel springs acts to isolate the microphone from vibrations induced from the microphone stand. These vibrations can appear as rumble and/or low-grade noises which create disturbances across the bandwidth, from low end thumps to harmonic disturbances at different frequencies. The Sling-Shock's superior vibration-reduction capabilities and lack of self-resonance allow engineers to capture performances free of vibration-related interference across the bandwidth.
Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone Package Features
- Royer R-121
- High SPL Capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Royer RSM-SS1 'Sling Shock'
- Superior isolation from vibration and shocks
- Felt-lined, scratch-free microphone chamber holds mic securely
- No rubberized parts to degrade or stretch
- Flexible for easy microphone positioning
- Lifetime warranty
Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone Package Specifications
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -50 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: >135dB @ 20 Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: 155.7mm L, 25mm W (6.13" L, 1" W) Weight: 244g (8.6 oz) Finish: Dull Satin Nickel/Matte Black Chrome optional
Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone Package Includes
- R-121 Ribbon Microphone w/ Cherry Wood Box
- RSM-SS1 'Sling Shock' Suspension Mount
- Lifetime Warranty for BOTH!
Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone Package Downloads
- Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- Royer RSM-SS1 'Sling Shock' Suspension Mount User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
the mic fits snug vertical and angle adjustments are simple