MOTU 1248 Audio Interface
The MOTU 1248 Audio Interface is a high-performance audio interfaces that combine superb audio quality and state-of-the-art features.
The MOTU 1248 provides all of the I/O you need for a well-equipped personal studio, including four mic inputs, two dedicated hi-Z guitar inputs, 8 x 12 balanced analog with separate main and monitor outs, 2 x 8-channel ADAT optical, and RCA S/PDIF (with sample rate conversion), for a total of 32 inputs and 34 outputs. Need more I/O? Expansion possibilities are seamless and virtually limitless.
Superb audio quality - Pure sound, without compromise
The 1248 employs latest-generation ESS Sabre32 Ultra converters, known for their industry-leading performance, together with expertly engineered analog circuits that reflect more than three decades of pro audio engineering expertise. The result? The 1248 achieves actual, measured performance of 123dB dynamic range (A-weighted, 20Hz to 20kHz) on its balanced TRS analog outputs.
Ultra-low I/O latency - State-of-the-art latency performance
Every digital audio workflow has some latency. The only question is, how much? In the case of the 1248, the answer is, not much at all. In the 1248, latency is measured in a handful of samples, from the time an audio signal first goes digital to its arrival somewhere else (to an output the mixer, or the computer). By keeping latency this low in the hardware, the 1248 helps minimize latency introduced by your system.
Thunderbolt technology - Plug-and-play ease with massive bandwidth
Thunderbolt lets you connect displays, hard drives, and other peripherals to your computer, along with the 1248, and the Thunderbolt bus won't even break a sweat. But more importantly, Thunderbolt gives you an astonishing 256 channels of computer I/O (128 in and out). You can use them to route audio to the physical inputs and outputs on the 1248, plus the 48-channel mixer inside the 1248, plus audio network streams. The 1248 is one of the first and only interfaces to combine Thunderbolt I/O connectivity with AVB audio networking.
Audio class compliant USB 2.0 - Broad compatibility with future-proof connectivity
Don't have a Thunderbolt-equipped computer yet? Hi-speed USB 2.0 provides across -the-board compatibility with pretty much all laptops and desktop computers. The 1248 is USB audio class compliant, which means you enjoy OS-level USB compatibility and support, including iPad support (works with camera connection kit, sold separately). Since USB 2.0 devices are compatible with USB 3.0-equipped hosts, your 1248 interface is a future-proof investment in your studio.
48-channel digital mixing - Control up to 12 separate stereo mixes
The 1248 is equipped with a 48-channel digital mixer designed just like a large format mixing console. The 48 inputs can take signal from anywhere; the physical inputs on the 1248 interface itself, audio channels from host software on your computer, audio network streams, or even mixer outputs. The mixer provides 7 stereo aux busses, 3 groups, a reverb bus that can alternately serve as a 4th group, a Main Mix bus and a separate Monitor bus that can serve as a solo bus. In essence: capable and transparent mixing.
Modeled analog EQ and compression - Vintage processing with 32-bit floating point precision
British analog mixing consoles are renowned for their musical EQ profiles. The 1248 meticulously models these classic EQs to give you the very same, magical EQ response found on these coveted desks. Each input channel also provides a classic compressor module with optional peak/RMS operation. Groups and the Main Mix bus are equipped with MOTU's Leveler, an accurate model of the legendary Teletronix LA-2A optical leveling amplifier, known for its unique and highly sought-after Automatic-Gain Control (AGC) characteristics.
Matrix routing and splitting - Put the ultimate patch-bay at your fingertips
With one click on the 1248's routing grid, you can route any source signal to any destination. Sources can be analog or digital inputs on the interface, computer channels, mixer bus outputs, or audio network streams from other devices on the network. Destinations include interface outputs, host software inputs, mixer inputs, or any other device (or computer) on the AVB network. You can even split any single input (or stereo pair) to unlimited multiple output destinations.
System expansion and audio networking - Expand your system with more I/O and Wi-Fi control
The 1248 network port introduces AVB Ethernet, the new industry standard developed by the IEEE for professional audio networking. Add a second MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces, computers, and AVB switches using standard network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
Web app control - Control everything from your laptop, tablet, and smart phone
The software that you use to control the 1248 doesn't' reside on your hard drive. It's a web app served from the hardware itself. This means you can control the 1248's on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from the web app software running on your favorite web browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network. Use any web client on any platform - Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android - as long as it shares the same network.
Comprehensive metering - View all I/O activity at a glance
The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD lets you view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.
Quick setup presets - Completely transform your MOTU interface with one click
The 1248 is so flexible, it can serve many roles - in the studio, on stage, and throughout an installation. The Quick Setup menu lets you instantly reconfigure the 1248 for many common situations, from operation as a standard audio interface to serving as a network "snake" from one location to another. Once a preset is chosen, you can easily customize the routing grid and mixer settings to further suit your specific needs - and then save your own custom presets.
MOTU 1248 Audio Interface Features
- Superb audio quality: For example, the balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- 66 simultaneous audio channels: 4 mic inputs, 2 guitar inputs, 8 x 12 balanced analog with dedicated main and monitor outs, 2 x8-channel ADAT optical, RCA S/PDIF (with SRC), and two independent phone outs for 32 inputs and 34 outputs.
- Universal connectivity: Connects to your computer with Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). Class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software.
- On-board DSP with mixing and effects: Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
- 32-bit floating point processing: The 1248's mixing and effects DSP engine delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
- Modeled vintage effects processing: Classic reverb.Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
- System expansion and audio networking: Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Matrix routing and splitting: Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations.
- 256 channels of network audio I/O for your host computer: Record and monitor up to 128 networked audio channels in and out,simultaneously, through the Thunderbolt connection to a host computer.
- Web app control: Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control: Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 1248 with a standard Ethernet cable and control the 1248's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing.
- ADAT digital I/O: Connect outboard digital processors, digital mixers or other gear. 16 channels at 44.1/48 kHz or 8 channels at 88.2/96 kHz.
- Comprehensive metering: The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD lets you view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.
MOTU 1248 Audio Interface Specifications
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/192kHz
- Analog Inputs: 4 x XLR, 8 x 1/4" TRS, 2 x 1/4" (hi-Z)
- Analog Outputs: 8 x 1/4" (line out), 2 x 1/4" (main out), 2 x 1/4" (monitor out)
- Digital Inputs: 2 x Optical (ADAT, SMUX), 1 x Coaxial (S/PDIF)
- Digital Outputs: 2 x Optical (ADAT, SMUX), 1 x Coaxial (S/PDIF)
- Headphones: 2 x 1/4"
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review