Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System
The Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System is the culmination of meticulous listening tests on innumerable circuit, topology, and packaging designs over many years of product design and development.
The Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System is a finely tuned instrument intended for critical professional applications - many feel it offers the world's most sonically versatile "all-in-one channel strip" audio signal path, with the added benefits of selectable transformer-coupling and vacuum tubes when "euphonic enhancement" is desired. With the emergence of 24+ bit digital audio, recording engineers are faced with a new requirement for undistorted dynamic range. The STT-1 meets this challenge exceptionally well.
The STT-1 Origin is a collection of Millennia's essential product line combined into one box. You might call it Millennia's "greatest hits" compilation. The STT-1 is a single channel (mono) processing chain with various signal path topologies (vacuum tubes, discrete transistors, audio transformer, transformerless) all selectable at various functions. The STT-1 offers an entirely discrete, entirely Class-A direct signal path from input to output. The signal path can be variously selected to use vacuum tubes or transistors, transformer or non-transformer coupling. The STT-1 also offers additional monolithic utility outputs. There are (yes, we counted) at least 134 different product combinations available in the STT-1 Origin "" ranging from the most musically transparent, sonically accurate, and dynamically stable audio circuits, to sublime levels of vacuum tube and transformer 'euphony', and everything in between. The possibilities afforded the creative engineer, producer, and musician are virtually endless.
Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System Features
- Twin Mic Preamps - M-2B vacuum tube or HV-3 discrete solid state, both switchable and on-board
- Twin NSEQ-2 Mastering-Grade Parametric Eq s- vacuum tube or discrete solid state
- Three Opto Compressor/Limiter Paths - TCL vacuum tube, discrete solid state, passive
- Twin Opto De-Esser Paths - vacuum tube or discrete solid state
- Vacuum tube or discrete solid state line level paths
- Input coupling with or without MIT-01 audio transformer
- 1/4" vacuum tube DI input - route via tube or solid state gain path
- Effortless, lifelike musical performance at all levels
- Musically rich vacuum tubes available
- Gold audio connectors, tube sockets, relays and switches
- 3/8" thick radius extruded aluminum face plate
- Durable black mirror-gloss anodized finish
- Mil spec 16 gauge cold-rolled steel chassis
- Ultra-clean toroid power supply: internal sub-chassis
- Hand machined aluminum knobs, illuminated IT&T pushbuttons
- Mogami Neglex OFC audio wiring
- Silver Teflon power wiring
- True audio VU meter for output level or dynamics gain reduction
Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System Options
- Front Panel Color: Black (Standard) or a special Platinum-Crackle front panel & knob cosmetics
- Detented Controls: You can add "quasi-mastering" detented controls
- NOS and Used/Tested Valves - Telefunken, Mullard, and Tesla valves available. Contact us for pricing and availability
Millennia Media Twin-Topology products like the Millennia STT-1 Origin offer a number of customizable options, including Valve Upgrade Options for NOS and Used/Tested Telefunken, Mullard, and Tesla tubes/valves. Due to the specific valve requirements of each unit and the ever-changing availability of NOS and Used/Tested valves, please call us for currently available options. Call Front End Audio at 888-228-4530 to configure your Millennia STT-1 Origin with custom valves.
Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System Specifications
- Twin Topology Mic Preamplifier Selection: Switchable, Vacuum Tubes or Solid-State
- Twin Topology EQ & Compressor: Switchable, Vacuum Tubes or Solid-State
- Twin Topology Input Coupling: Switchable, Transformer or Transformerless
- Maximum Output Level (Balanced): + 32 dBu
- Frequency Response
- +0 / -3 dB (S/S)
- sub 5 Hz to beyond 300 kHz
- Equivalent Input Noise: -131 dBu (SS, Common Source, Direct Out)
- THD + Noise
- 20 Hz - 22 kHz (S/S)
- < .05 %, typ < .003 %
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio (S/S): > 40 dB, Typ > 70 dB @ 60 Hz.
- Input Impedance (Mic): 6,200 ohms
- Input Impedance (Line): 2,200 ohms (x2)
- Input Impedance (Di - Instrument): > 1 megohm
- Output Impedance (Balanced): 24.3 ohms (x2)
- Parametric Equalizer
- Maximum EQ Boost/Cut Range (21 Step Detented): +/- 15 dB
- EQ Frequencies
- Low Range Switch (Centers - Peak/Shelf Selectable): 20, 34, 56, 100, 180, 270
- Low Mid Sweep: 20 Hz - 220 Hz or 200 Hz - 2.2 kHz.
- 10X Range switch selectable.
- Hi Mid Sweep: 250 Hz - 2.5 kHz or 2.5 kHz - 25 kHz.
- 10X Range switch selectable.
- High Range Switch (Centers - Peak/Shelf Selectable): 4.8 k, 5.8 k, 8.0 k, 10 k, 16 k, 21 k
- "Q" Range: Q = 0.4 to 4.0 Adjustable on middle ranges
- Q = 1.0 Fixed on low & high ranges
- Optoelectronic Compressor/Limiter
- Threshold Range: Infinite to +20 dBu
- Attack Range: 2 ms to 100 ms
- Release Range: 80 ms to 3.0 s
- Compression Ratio Range: minimum 1.4 : 1, maximum 30 : 1
- De-Essing Frequency Switch: OFF, 4.9 k, 6.8 k, 8.2 k, 10.7 k , 12.0 k
- Power Consumption: 50 watts maximum
- Power Requirements: Selectable: 100-120, 200-240 V ac, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions/Shipping Weight: 19" W x 3.5" H x 15.5" D, 25 lbs.
What We Think
When it comes to the Millennia STT-1 Origin Recording System, there is really little to no validation that I could add to this incredible unit beyond what the professional opinions above offer. Obviously, this thing is where the buck stops and is the professional engineer's no-brainer. But for the home-studio user who is looking for professional results, and who isn't getting those results with racks full of gear acquired over the years of learning craft and thus learning about gear in general (You know... the racks where you can see the evolution clearly?), perhaps I can inspire you to sell off all of that gear that just isn't cutting it on a regular basis, and inspire you to consider a pair of STT-1 Origins to replace pretty much all of it.
With a PAIR of STT-1 Origins, you would really getting FOUR mic-preamps (M-2B vacuum tube or HV-3 discrete solid-state pre-amps available and switchable on each input), a pair of NSEQ-2 Mastering Equalizer channels, a TCL-2 with the added functionality of the Passive mode, a pair of De-Essers... basically a stereo processing powerhouse of all the analog processors you could need - and the finest ones available, at that. So, you're not just going to be going to them when tracking. The Origins can become incredibly valuable tools for processing already recorded individual tracks, stereo sub-mixes, or even your entire mix - without compromise.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is beautifully crafted piece of equipment and definitely worthy of its price tag. I do not hesitate in recommending this unit to anyone looking for a channel strip that can deliver an honest, clean and refined representation of a performance. The EQ is fantastic and the compressor quite musical in how it helps control dynamics. Its ability in helping to obtain useful tracks is astounding.