Millennia LOCi Playback Equalizer
The Millennia LOCi Playback Equalizer is a hand-crafted collection of Millennia's essential, 100% DC coupled preamplifier and equalizer circuitry tailored specifically for the needs of archiving and mastering professionals.
Audiophiles requiring a sonically uncompromised phono path will also benefit. The LOC was originally specified under contract for the U.S. Government (Library of Congress, Culpeper VA). Since then, the LOC has been acquired by archiving and mastering labs throughout the world.
The LOC offers a selectable mono or stereo playback environment which can be used with any modern or legacy phonograph cartridge. Any known style of record pressing can be compensated perfectly with the LOC, including vertical groove processes. When the LOC does not offer a precise preset compensation point, a user may define virtually any compensation via passive plug-in components.
LOC employs a 100% discrete design topology from input to output, utilizing both discrete bipolar and field-effect transistors where they are optimally applied for Millennia's hallmark sonic invisibility. The LOC accepts balanced line-level or phono-level input via gold XLR connectors. Unbalanced RCA inputs are also provided. Ten discrete outputs are provided on both gold XLR and RCA phono connectors. Mains powering is worldwide (100V-240V).
The Legacy offers forty-nine combinations of preset compensation curves for precise performance with all formats, including 33-1/3 (RIAA), 45, and a vast array of 78 RPM EQ formats. Legacy's phono compensation network has only one active amplifier stage in the audio signal path. Compare this with textbook phono designs employing anywhere from two to five compensation path amplifiers. Fewer amplifier stages means greater sonic integrity and heightened musical reality. This single all discrete Class-A stage is optimized as input buffer, compensation amplifier, and output driver. It's something you must hear to appreciate.
Legacy's phonograph preamplifier design is based upon Millennia's acclaimed HV-3 Cohen topology, a world standard in classical and critical acoustic music production. Utilizing a 100% discrete FET, fully differential balanced design "" phono signals remain differentially balanced throughout the entire preamplifier path.
The LOC features 36 discrete gain steps of 1.5 dB per step to 60 dB (up to 90 dB upon request), user-selectable (unlimited) capacitive and resistive loading, mono and polarity select switching for vertically grooved pressings, stereo gain matching to .08 dB, and an entirely transformerless audio signal path (Lundahl MC transformer option included at no additional charge).
Rounding out the LOC feature set is a collection of four surgical filters which will isolate and correct problem areas associated with groove degradation and surface noise. Legacy filters offer both shelving and peaking response with a number of user-selectable frequencies via Grayhill military grade gold contact rotary switches. If not required, all filter sections can be removed entirely from Legacy's signal path for increased sonic integrity.
LOC Legacy's pure Class A 100 volt discrete amplifiers are carefully designed around the finest grades of passive components from Vishay, Roederstein MELF, Wima, Toroid Tech, and German ITT. Key electro-mechanical design features include a 16 gauge cold-rolled plated steel chassis (26 pounds), 3/8" thick radiused aluminum face panel which is deeply polished in a "piano lacquer" black anodize finish, hand machined and polished black aluminum knurl knobs, and custom molded illuminated switches.
One listening session with the LOC will immediately confirm that Millennia has once again set precedence in musical realism and sonic transparency.
Millennia LOC Analog Legacy Universal Playback Equalizer Features
- True differentially balanced phonographic preamplifier topology
- User-definable (universal) compensation and loading parameters
- Sets new precedent in phonographic sonic invisibility
- Ultra-premium transformerless componentry throughout
- Gold relays, connectors & switches. Hand machined aluminum cosmetics
- Extremely low noise (-125 dBu flat). Pure class-a discrete j-FET filters
- Effortless, lifelike musical performance at all dynamic levels
- Constructed for life, cosmetically appealing
- Lundahl MC transformer option included at no additional charge (bypassable)
Millennia LOC Analog Legacy Universal Playback Equalizer Specifications
- PHONOGRAPHIC PREAMPLIFIER & GENERAL:
- Input Amplifier Signal Path: Discrete NPN Transistor-Hybrid (HV-3 PAM-01)
- EQ Amplifier Signal Path: All Discrete 100V J-FET Servo (MM-120)
- Frequency Response, +/- 0.5 dB: 10 Hz to 100 kHz, comps & filters out, + 45 dB gain
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: -75 dBu typical, 10 Hz - 50 kHz, 1.0V P/P CM
- Maximum Input / Maximum Output: +23 dBu flat / + 26 dBu RIAA in
- Maximum System Gain: 60 dB Nominal. Higher upon request.
- Phono Input Impedance: User selectable. Factory Stock: 47.5k ohms & 270 pF
- Output Impedance: 49.9 ohms
- Broadband Noise (no weighting filters): Better than -125 dBu EIN, flat. -98 dBu EIN, RIAA in
- Three-pin XLR Polarity: Pin 2 = positive polarity, Pin 1 = ground
- PHONOGRAPHIC COMPENSATION & CORRECTIVE FILTERS:
- Maximum Filter Boost & Cut: +/- 10 dB (21 step detented)
- Notch Filter "Q" (Quality Factor): Q = 1.0
- Low Frequency Compensation (Hz): 200, 250, 300, 400, 500/RIAA, 700/USER
- High Frequency Compensation (dB @ 10 kHz): -5.0, -7.0, -9.5, -11.5, -13.7/RIAA, -16.0/USER
- Low Filter Fixed Frequencies (Hz): 20, 35, 60, 100, 180, 260
- High Filter Fixed Frequencies (kHz): 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, 8.0, 12.0
- Peak/Shelf Selection on all Filters? Yes (4)
- Bypass Selection on all Bands? Yes (8)
- Balanced Phono Input (MC and MM)
- Phono Preamp Direct Output (fixed level)
- Phono Preamp Direct Output (variable level)
- Unbalanced EQ Out (fixed level)
- Balanced EQ Out (variable level)
- Power Consumption: 60 Watts, nominal
- Power Requirements: 100VAC to 240VAC, 50/60Hz, user selectable
- Fuses (external, 2 required):
- 2 ea. 1.0A with 100-120VAC mains (5x20mm)
- 2 ea. 500 mA with 200-240VAC mains (5x20mm)
- Internal Power: +/-50VDC +/-25VDC +5VDC
- Dimensions: 19.0" W x 15.0" D x 3.5" H (2u rack mount)
- Net Weight: approximately 26 pounds
Millennia LOC Analog Legacy Universal Playback Equalizer Downloads
- Millennia LOC User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- LPE-2 Manual (PDF)
- LPE-2 Template (Front Panel - PDF)
- 78 RPM EQ Settings for Legacy Recordings
- Audio Engineering Society 78 rpm calibration disk
- How to Change Voltage Between 120V and 240V
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review