The Manley Nu Mu Compressor builds upon the legacy of the Variable Mu, combining the T-Bar vacuum tube front end used in the Variable Mu with a new discrete FET output stage. This marriage of tubes and solid-state electronics gives the Nu Mu a remarkable tonal character which will always make it a hit in the studio! Choose the Manley Nu Mu for the smoothest in dynamics action coupled together with the punchiest sonic path design, going.
Featuring Manley's new HIP function, the Nu Mu finesses dynamic control to bring up lower level details without knocking the life out of exciting transients. Smartly engineered to build efficiently and esthetically designed to elicit ravishing compliments from your clients, both visually and ergonomically, the Manley Nu Mu breaks new ground in performance and value, all proudly handbuilt in California, of course!
Manley Nu Mu Compressor Features
- Manley IRON input transformers
- 4 x hand-matched 6BA6 vacuum tubes
- Balanced XLR inputs & outputs
- Manley HIP function raises soft dynamics without squashing louder passages
- High Voltage Switched Mode Power Supply custom designed for our vacuum tube audio circuits
Manley Nu Mu Compressor Specifications
- INPUT Level Preset 3-way switches -3dB, 0, +3dB
- Continuously variable OUTPUT level controls
- Unity Gain set INPUT to "0" and OUTPUT control to 11 o'clock. (Input source Z= 150 Ohms, Output load Z= 100 kOhms)
- Maximum input level: (1 kHz Sine, <0.3% THD+N)
- -3 = +25 dBu
- 0 = +21 dBu
- +3 = +18 dBu
- Maximum GAIN: 13dB
- GAIN makeup: 10dB (gain above unity)
- Output Headroom: 23dB (referenced to +4dBu)
- Variable ATTACK control: 13msec - 130msec
- RECOVERY switch 5 steps: 0.1s, 0.16s, 0.32s, 0.64s, 1.7sec.
- Continuously variable THRESHOLD controls
- Hardwired Relay Bypass Switch
- Ratio Mode switches between LIMIT (1.5:1 to 12:1) or COMPRESS (1.2:1 to 3:1)
- HP SC: High Pass Side Chain Filter -3dB @ 100Hz @ 6dB per Octave
- Stereo Link establishes Left-Master dynamic control for THRESHOLD, ATTACK, and RECOVERY controls
- Beautiful illuminated stereo VU meters read Gain Reduction or Output Level
- Sidechain INSERT per channel via 1/4" TRS jack TIP=SEND, RING=Return, SLEEVE=Ground
- Maximum Output: +27dBu (18Vrms) into 100K Ohm load; +24.5dBu (13Vrms) into 600 Ohm load. (1Khz Sine, < 0.3% THD+N, BW 20Hz - 20kHz).
- Frequency Response: - 0.8dB @ 20Hz, -0.5dB @ 50kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.05% THD+N (1kHz Sine, +4dBu, BW: 20Hz - 22kHz)
- Noise floor: -85dB typical (BW: 20Hz - 22kHz)
- Dynamic Range: 112dB
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 89dB (referenced to +4dBu)
- Common-Mode Rejection Ratio (CMRR): 74dB (BW: 20Hz - 22kHz, +4dBu, 1kHz Sine)
- Output Impedance: 100 Ohms
- Input Impedance: -3dB= 1 kOhms, 0dB= 2.5 kOhms, +3dB= 4.5 kOhms
- AUTOMUTE warmup delay: 30 Seconds
- Power consumption: 35 Watts
- Standby Power Consumption: ?? Watts
- Operating mains voltage: 90 to 254 VAC (internal universal supply)
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50-60Hz
- Dimensions: 19" x 3 1/2" x 7" (occupies 2u)
- Unit Weight: 8.5 lbs.
- Shipping weight: 11.5 lbs.
Manley Nu Mu Compressor Includes
- Nu Mu Compressor
- IEC Cable
- Owners Manual
Manley Nu Mu Compressor Warranty
All Manley Laboratories equipment is covered by a limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 90 days from date of purchase to the original purchaser only. A further optional limited 5 year warranty is available to the original purchaser upon proper registration of ownership within 30 days of date of first purchase.
Manley Nu Mu Compressor Downloads
What We Think
With the new Manley Nu Mu Compressor, Manley brings the remote cutoff, "Variable Mu" style of tube controlled dynamic control action to a whole new, lighter sonic footprint, as well as a new lighter price-point. EveAnna herself describes the difference between the Variable Mu and the Nu Mu as being the same as the difference between " a big bowl of heavy cream" and "seltzer water - a sparkly fast variable mu limiter" because sometimes that big bowl of heavy cream is not going to work for that mix or stereo subgroup that you're working on. With the Nu Mu, Manley has given us yet another great dynamics tool for our studios; and who doesn't want more Manley dynamics processors?
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I got the Nu-Mu looking for a vocal compressor that helped bring forward the details and it didn’t disappoint. The HIP circuit works amazing and feels like parallel compression is added to the vocal and adds a pleasing color to the mid hi frequencies. I used it in mix bus and really liked it, but preferred to keep it as a mixing tool.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review