John Hardy Jensen Twin Servo 990 2-Channel Microphone Preamp
The John Hardy Jensen Twin Servo 990 2-Channel Microphone Preamp is considered the world's finest mic preamp by audio experts. It's the ideal integration of advanced design software, hardware, engineering know-how, and carefully controlled 'golden ears' tests.
Transformer enhanced technology for superior sonic performance. Bringing science to sound. It has earned high marks for sonic performance since its introduction in 1988.
The basic circuit was originally published as an application note by Jensen Transformers for their finest microphone input transformer, the JT-16-B. Each channel uses two precision 990C operational amplifier modules, developed and patented by Deane Jensen, to achieve one tenth the distortion and twice the bandwidth of a single stage design.
The Jensen Twin Servo 990 mic preamp has a 19" wide mainframe rack-mount chassis (1.75"H x 19"W x 8"D) and can be ordered with 1 to 4 channels. Additional channels can be easily added later up to the total capacity of the mainframe.
John Hardy Jensen Twin Servo 990 2-Channel Microphone Preamp Features
- JT-16-B Input Transformer. Jensen's best mic input model.
- Two 990 Discrete Op-Amps Per Channel. Faster, quieter, more powerful and better sounding than typical monolithic op-amps.
- Elimination Of All Coupling Capacitors From The Signal Path. Results in less degradation of the audio signal.
- JT-11-BMQ Output Transformer. Jensen's best line output transformer.
- Input Bias Current Compensation Circuitry And DC Servo Circuitry. Eliminates signal degrading coupling capacitors.
- Standard Features:
- Fully Sealed Conductive Plastic Gain Control. Provides smooth continuous gain adjustments from 16dB to 60dB.
- 20 OHM MIC switch or 20dB PAD switch.
- POLARITY REVERSE switch.
- PHANTOM POWER switch.
- All Front Panel Switches Are LED Illuminated.
- Gold Plated XLR Connectors for maximum reliability.
- Ground Lift Switch On Each Channel. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
- VU-1 meter. Very accurate and informative 20 segment LED meter, with separate Peak LED, for monitoring preamp output.
- Toroidal Power Transformer With Additional Shielding. Eliminates hum problems so no external power supply is needed.
- Universal Power Supply. Internal switch provides six primary voltage choices to accommodate use anywhere in the world.
- Chassis Ground Isolation Switch. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
- Pin 2 Or Pin 3 High. Internal jumpers make changes in the field easy.
What We Think
The Hardy preamps are on the clean side, with fast response well suited to acoustic instruments, drums, well lots of things!
***John Hardy preamps are built to order and there is a typical wait time in most cases. It's part of dealing with small and boutique companies like Hardy, quality product but lead times on most orders. We've seen wait times from 3 days to ship, to several weeks. If you must meet a deadline, please email us and we'll work to find out where your order would be in the production line.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review