Great River MP-2NV Preamp
The Great River MP-2NV Preamp is a pair of preamps that offers the same definitive sonic fidelity and expert craftsmanship as all Great River products, with the ability to fine-tune gain effects like 1970's-era 1073's!
The Great River MP-2NV Preamp greatly modernizes and improves classic British design. This single-rack-space pair of preamps offer the same definitive sonic fidelity and expert craftsmanship as all Great River products, with the ability to fine-tune gain effects like 1970's-era 1073's. Transparency and vintage harmonic structure are both achieved with NV-Series preamps.
The Great River MP-2NV Preamp achieves "new classic" performance status with two discrete Class-A gain stages (the dual gain-stage meters are a Great River exclusive), a front-panel DI input jack which is routed via FET through the input transformer (also unique to Great River preamps) for must-hear-to-believe sound from all hi-Z instruments, and a discrete high-current Class-A "big iron" transformer-coupled output amplifier. The MP-2NV is a fundamentally important audio tool that brings out the best in every microphone and instrument.
Great River MP-2NV Preamp Features
- Multiple In/Out connections: XLR balanced; ¼" -10dbV output for 'no-latency' DAW monitoring; high-Z input on front panel (disconnects mic input): TRS ¼" insert patch point for compressor or equalizer ahead of the output amplifier
- Adjustable gain stages: input in 5db steps to 60db; output from -25 to +10db; maximum overall gain 70db; 2 to 3 stages of single ended solid state amplifier gain blocks, depending on gain structure; high-current 70ma Class A bias on output stage
- Input and output meters on each channel (dual-stage metering is a Great River exclusive)
- Front panel switches: polarity; phantom power; input impedance (1200 / 300 ohm); output loading (600 ohm resistor across output transformer)
- High quality, custom wound Sowter transformers
- Gold plated switching contacts
- Local power supply regulation on each channel
- 110 or 220 volt operation with external selection, either 50 or 60 Hz
- 3 year warranty with registration
- Single rack space with internal power supply
Great River MP-2NV Preamp Benefits
- 'Big Iron Vintage Sound' from custom-wound transformers
- 'No-latency' output monitoring for DAW users
- High-Z input is ideal for bass, guitar, and sound modules (FET-buffered and routed into the input transformer, a Great River exclusive)
- Gain stage monitoring via dual meters (also a Great River exclusive)
- Ultra quiet noise floor for outstanding performance at any gain setting
- Excellent stereo imaging (nearly identical phase response channel-to-channel)
Great River MP-2NV Preamp Downloads
What We Think - Great River MP-2NV Preamp Review
The Great River ME-1NV and MP-2NV (both the same preamp - just different model numbers for the single and dual channel designs) are quite easily the preamplifiers most referred to as 'desert island preamps' as far as new preamps (and even vintage pres in many cases) are concerned. Based upon classic Neve designs, the ME-1NV and MP-2NV offer a 'tweaked transformer' that adds a clarity in the mid-range not found in the original Neve designs. The high frequency response is smooth and natural while the lows just go further without any sign of a level boost. Another interesting sonic feature is that the custom-wound Sowter transformer breaks up in a much more smooth fashion where it basically can do anything from clean-and-gutsy to driving-down-a-gravel-road and every point in between. These preamps offer the most features I've come across - separate Input AND Output metering, selectable input impedance between 300 ohms and 1200 ohms (for use with ribbon microphones), and an output loading switch that places a 600 ohm resistor across output transformer. Considering all of the various sonic-sculpting features that Dan Kennedy has built into these fantastic sounding preamps, it's no wonder that they are consistently among our best sellers and are one consistently some of our top recommended preamps.
- Front End Audio
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is a great, versatile mic pre. Built like a tank, and full of glorious transformer goodness. The ability to hang gear off the inserts or to utilize the output trim relative to the input gain can really help dial in the right amount of transformer saturation. I went over the top on my last session for a bass chain...REDDI DI for "tube warmth" through the great river for some beefy iron transformer saturation, through a distressor for a few db of compression...wow...HUGE! worked for the production though!