DW Fearn VT-1 Microphone Preamplifier
The DW Fearn VT-1 microphone preamplifier will change the way you think of audio quality. The transparency is astounding. Vocals sound smoother, warmer, more intimate, with a compelling presence.
The DW Fearn VT-1 is the single channel version of the 2-Channel D.W. Fearn VT-2 Vacuum Tube Microphone Preamplifier. The specifications are identical to the VT-2.
The DW Fearn VT-1 microphone preamplifier will change the way you think of audio quality. The transparency is astounding. Vocals sound smoother, warmer, more intimate, with a compelling presence. Any microphone and any sound will benefit from the improved clarity, definition, and lack of solid-state artifacts.
The VT-2 recreates the sound of classic tube preamps of the 1960s. Modern components and computer-optimized circuitry, unavailable during the vacuum tube era, elevate this design to a new level of performance.
Design PhilosophyIn designing both the VT-1 and VT-2 preamps, no compromise in sonic quality, reliability, or ruggedness were permitted. Like the best tube equipment of the 1950s and '60s, the VT-1 and VT-2 are built on a heavy-guage aluminum chassis, utilizing point-to-point wiring. Each vacuum tube is selected for minimum noise and microphonics, and maximum sonic clarity. The front panel switches control sealed, gold-contact precision relays for all audio switching, eliminating the possibility of dirty contacts degrading the sound and minimizing the internal audio path. Four class-A triode amplifier sections (in two tubes) in each channel comprise the entire active circuit. This surprisingly simple circuit, along with top-quality components and careful design optimization, results in the sonic superiority that the VT-1 has become known for.
All over the globe, VT-2 preamps are in daily use in the world's best studios, as well as in home project studios, helping many top recording artists achieve the best possible sound.
DW Fearn VT-1 Microphone Preamplifier Features
- All vacuum-tube design
- Clean and airy high end
- Fat low end
- Unsurpassed warmth, transparency, and musicality
- Lo-Z input position for superior performance with transformerless mics
- Phase (polarity) reverse switch
- +48 volt phantom power (completely disconnected when off)
- Custom-design Jensen input and output transformers for superb sonics
- - 20 dB input pad (switchable)
- True VU meters (amplifier isolated)
- All point-to-point audio wiring
- High-performance, fully-regulated power supplies with exceptional reserve
- Gold input and output XLR connectors
- Polypropylene and polystyrene coupling capacitors
- All audio switching through gold-contact, sealed precision relays
- International operation on 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- CE certified, RoHS-compliant
- +4 dBm output
- Conservatively rated precision components and rugged construction for stability and long life
- Line-level processing with the LP-1 Line Pad accessory
- Single-channel version D.W. Fearn VT-1 also available
- Direct recording of electric instruments with the D.W. Fearn VT-3 Vacuum Tube DI or PDB Passive Direct Box
DW Fearn VT-1 Microphone Preamplifier Specifications
- Input 150 ohms
- Input Load Impedance 1.5k ohms
- Minimum Input Level -65 dBm nominal
- Maximum Input Level @ 20 cps -30 dBm without pad, -5 dBm with 20 dB pad
- Gain 53 dB
- Frequency Response +/-0.25 dB 20 cps to 20 kc; -3 dB @ 0.5 cps and 55 kc
- THD+Noise less than 0.25% 20 cps to 20 kc
- Intermodulation Distortion SMPTE less than 0.02%
- Signal to Noise Ratio 74 dB minimum
- Equivalent Input Noise -124 dBm maximum
- Output low-Z, transformer-balanced
- Maximum Output Level +22 dBm, 20k ohm load
- Power Requirements 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions 19" (48.26cm) W, 5.25" (13.34cm) H, 14" (35.56cm) D
- Weight 18 lbs (8.16kg)
Frequency is specified in cycles per second (cps) or kilocycles per second (kc). These units correspond to Hz and kHz respectively. Measurements made with -50 dBm input and 50 dB gain in a 22 cps to 22 kc bandwidth. Specifications and price subject to change without notice.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review