The Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor is a buss compressor designed to deliver that elusive characteristic sound that sets you apart from the rest. Built on the success of the 1973 Multiband FET Compressor, the 1978 adorns an unparalleled array of controls to give complete mastering over your mix, and all in a deceptively simple 1U frame.
The Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor features the usual Ratio, Threshold, Attack and Release controls, and additional four character switches offering a wide range of compression flavours, as well as a variable saturation control to add harmonic distortion to the signal. Side chain functionality is also included with side chain insert points on both channels and a very comprehensive and flexible Side Chain EQ section which offers LF and HF controls with a choice of specific shapes and frequencies for precise frequency-conscious compression such as de-essing. A wet/mix control also allows you to blend the processed signal with the dry for parallel compression.
In addition, a fast reacting Dual colour backlit VU Meter is employed to provide a visual indication of the amount of saturation added. Time delay relays are incorporated into the outputs to provide clean power-up and down with no pops or bangs, and a low hum toroidal linear power supply. The Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor is a truly flexible compressor made in the UK with high-quality components.
The Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor is a Buss Compressor like no other - compression with character, controlled distortion, tonal shaping, wet/dry mixing - others have tried but have never managed to build a compressor that is this versatile and yet intuative. It's never been easier to get that elusive characteristic sound that sets you apart from the rest. Glue your mix, bring out the bass, control the highs, add warmth, distortion, smoothen, widen, sound less digital more analogue - and at a price that's right for even the smallest studio. Winner of the Resolution Award 2016 in the dynamics category.
Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor Features
- Four Character switches give a multitude of compression flavours
- Variable saturation knob
- Wet/Dry mix and output level for parallel compression
- Fast Reacting Stereo FET Design compressor with excellent Left/Right Tracking across the Full Range of compression and in a 1u rack mount housing
- Threshold, Ratio, Attack and Release controls and Gain Reduction Metering provide familiar and intuative control over the audio. Anyone that knows how to use a compressor can operate the 1978
- 4 Character switches provide a multitude of compression flavour combinations that allow the Drawmer 1978 to take on the characteristics of other compressors
- Comprehensive side chain EQ giving simultaneous control of frequency and level of filtering for the low and high bands. This works in conjunction with the rear panel stereo insert points that provide even further control
- Variable Wet/Dry Mix plus Output Gain Knobs give a 'Parallel Compression' function without the need for external mixing devices, providing Complete and Effortless Control over the amount of compression used and Output Levels
- Two Analogue V.U. Meters with Switchable +10dB Meter Rescale Mode. These have additional dual colour backlighting that act as a visual indication for the amount of saturation
- Time delay relays on outputs for clean power up/down
- Internal Low Hum Toroidal Linear Power Supply with Voltage Selector Switch
- Classic Drawmer Build Quality with Rugged Steel Chassis and Aluminium Front Panel
- Designed and manufactured by Drawmer in the UK
Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor Specifications
- Input Impedance: 20k Ohms or greater
- Maximum Input Level: +21dBu
- Output Impedance: <100 Ohms
- Maximum Output Level: +21dBu into 10k Ohms Load
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-0.2dB
- Crosstalk: < -70dB @ 1kHz
- Noise at Unity Gain: 22Hz - 22kHz, -88dB
- % Distortion (THD & Noise) at 1kHz: 0dB (ref +4): 0.02%, 10dB (ref +4): 0.2%
- Power Requirements: 230 Volt or 115V at 50-60 Hz, 15 VA
- Fuse Rating: T160mA for 230Volt, T315mA for 115Volt, Conforming to IEC 127-2
- Fuse Type: 20mm x 5mm, Class 3 Timed-Blow, 250 Volt Working
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) 482mm x 44mm x 202mm
- Weight: 2.7 Kg
Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor Includes
- Drawmer 1978 FET Compressor
- Power Cord
- User Manual
- 1 Year Warranty
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I love the Drawmer 1978. It gives me as mostly in-the-box-mixer that analog punch and roundness I can not create with plugins. And it is a very versatile piece of gear with the caracter-knobs, the saturation and the eq section. I can highly recommand it!
In fact, I will purchase another! I was looking for a compressor that would not break the bank since I have a few of those and decided to stay with the idea of populating my last few rack spaces with work horse compressors. This thing ROCKS! I have used it on the guitar bus so far with outstanding results. The drum bus will be next. Then it's on to the Mix buss!