Cranborne Audio Camden EC2 Preamp
The Cranborne Audio Camden EC2 Preamp is a 2-Channel 19-Inch preamp featuring Cranborne Audio's award-winning Camden preamp topology, mojo analogue saturation circuits, and dual reference-quality headphone amplifiers with discrete line mixers.
The Cranborne Audio Camden EC2 Preamp features two discrete instances of Cranborne Audio's Camden preamp topology developed for Camden 500. The Camden EC2 achieves stunning low-noise and low-distortion performance as well as frequency and phase linearity at all gain settings. The sum result is -129.8dB EIN (150ohm, unweighted), THD+N as low as 0.0002%, frequency response of ±0.7dB from 5Hz to 200kHz at max gain and <2° phase shift @ 20Hz – 20kHz.
Combined with Cranborne Audio's custom Mojo analogue saturation circuit, Camden EC2 can take on the persona of a vintage british-style transformer-based preamp using Thump, a gooey tube-based preamp using Cream, or an astoundingly clean and natural preamp when Mojo is bypassed. Switch each Camden preamp into their line mode and now the Mojo saturation circuits can apply vintage colouration onto your stems and even stereo mixes during the mix phase.
Mojo Analogue Saturation
To compliment the clean front-end of the Camden EC2, Cranborne Audio built a brand-new type of saturation circuit consisting of an array of filters and discrete second and third order harmonic generators that allow precise emulation of the saturation and frequency reinforcement behaviours of vintage equipment. Mojo can be also exaggerated to far beyond the point where destructive clipping would occur with transformer-based designs for an even wider palette of saturation effects. By manipulating these filters and harmonic generators; you can create two discrete Mojo styles; Thump and Cream. Both styles transform the Camden EC2 into the fattest, warmest, and most characterful preamp in your arsenal - all at the turn of a dial.
- Thump - Thump is a style that works best on - but is not limited to - low-frequency based instru-ments. Thump excites low-end content by boosting harmonics in the range of ~100Hz to 20Hz and below without increasing the fundamental frequencies - resulting in fuller low-end on all reproduction mediums. As Thump is not EQ-based, the additional harmonic content is shaped by the sources and it’s existing low-end frequency con-tent resulting in a natural addition of extra “Thump”. Similar-sounding EQ moves will result in extreme wooliness as all sonic en-ergy is boosted - even unwanted audio in-between the hits.
- Cream - Cream introduces a vintage smoothness that enables tracks to sit deep within a complex mix in a way that cannot be rep-licated with EQ. The Cream setting drasti-cally increases THD whilst smoothing out the low-mids. As with Thump, Cream is not EQ based and is purely achieved by blend-ing 2 saturation stages with the dry signal and additional harmonics. Cream varies entirely on the harmonic signature of the incoming source. It will increase high-end forwardness and create unique harmonic-based tonal shaping effects on mid-range instruments, but it will also add low-end on full range sources as well as unique “compression-style” effect on transients.
Dual Channel Preamp And Instrument DI
Featuring a custom transformerless front-end topology with 68.5dB of gain, the Camden EC2 achieves groundbreaking performance in noise, distortion, frequency response, and phase shift throughout all 12 gain positions. Each of EC2's preamp's feature tailored input impedance and headroom for Mic, Line, and Hi-Z sources using a dedicated 3-way input type switch on each channel.
Dual Headphone Mixer
Two reference-quality headphone amplifiers with discrete line mixers allow for direct monitoring of both Camden preamps using headphones connected directly to Camden EC2’s front panel. Monitor the preamp during mic placement to find the sweet spot of a guitar cab, kick drum, or acoustic instrument; alternatively, configure them to create a zero-latency all analogue monitor mix combining the local Camden preamps with playback incoming from an external playback source via Camden EC2’s rear panel Aux Inputs.
Cranborne Audio Camden EC2 Preamp Features
- Performs at the near-theoretical limits of noise, distortion, and phase/frequency linearity at all gain settings.
- Optimised input Impedance and input headroom for Mic, Line, and Hi-z sources.
- Custom ‘Mojo’ analogue saturation circuit with variable control, true bypass, and 2 discrete styles - Thump and Cream.
- Gold Flashing on backplane contacts for increase conductivity and durability.
Cranborne Audio Camden EC2 Preamp Specifications
- EIN: <-129.5dBu, 150 ohm source, unweighted. <-135.5dBu, Inputs common, unweighted
- THD+N: <0.0004%, 1kHz, 35dB gain, 24dBu out
- Phase Shift: <2.25°, 40dB gain, 20Hz to 20kHz. <4°, Max gain, 20Hz to 20kHz
- Freq. Response: <±1dB, 200 kHz, all gain settings
- CMRR: >70dB, typ >85dB, 35dB Gain, 10-20kHz, 100mV Common mode
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review