The Chandler Limited TG1 Limiter is a re-creation of the TG12413 Limiter found in custom EMI and Abbey Road consoles used on classic albums from the 1960's!
These rare pieces were never commercially available, and only EMI owned studios had access to them. The TG1 Limiter was originally designed to be like the Fairchild 660/670 which was loved by many EMI engineers including Geoff Emerick, but it ended up with its own very special sound. TG equipment was used on many classic records. The Limiter was featured on every channel of TG consoles used to record The Beatles "Abbey Road" and Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon," in addition to albums by Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones.
The Limiter/Compressor features an all discrete circuit with transformer balanced input and output. The limiting element is a rarely seen diode network that produces smooth, pleasing distortion. The warm open sound, often compared to a Fairchild 670 set to stun, is very audible and squishy sounding while maintaining its clarity and high frequency response.
Chandler Limited TG1 Limiter Features
- Stereo/Dual Mono Switch
- THD Switch: Allows bypassing the compressor / limiter threshold but leaves all the circuits in the signal path, turning the unit into a powerful Harmonic Distortion generator capable of kicking out more than 2% Total Harmonic Distortion.
- Hold Control: This control functions as input gain and threshold, like an 1176. Crank this up and adjust the output to really hear it work.
- Output Switch: A 21-position switch set to 1dB steps giving +/-10dB of output adjustment for level matching, recallability, and accurate gain make up.
- Comp/Limit Switch: This switch selects between functions of the unit. The limiter has a classic pumping and breathing sound, while the compressor has a squishy sound that is less drastic and all its own.
- Recovery Control: Attack in limit mode 8ms charging time; attack in compress mode 47ms charging time. Recovery in limit mode 0.05, 0.1, 0.25, 0.5, 1, & 2 seconds. Recovery in compress mode 0.25, 0.5, 1.2, 2.5, 5, & 10 seconds.
Chandler Limited TG1 Limiter Specifications
- CHANNELS: Stereo / Dual Mono
- CIRCUIT: Discrete, Transistor
- I/O: XLR - All Connections Transformer Balanced Pin 2 Hot
- POWER: ±28v - Requires Chandler Limited PSU-1 MKII power supply (purchased separately)
Chandler Limited TG1 Limiter Ijncludes
- TG1 Limiter/Compressor Unit
- Manual & Literature
- Cable to connect to PSU (Chandler Limited PSU-1 MKII power supply purchased separately)
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
TG1 Limiter - The Drum SoundJan 12th 2023
If you're looking at the TG1 Limiter then you already know. It's THE drum sound. It's a staple and stays strapped across my room mics. Nothing else does what this box does to drums....