The Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor is a recreation of one of the most coveted audio valve compressors of all time, the legendary EMI/Abbey Road RS124, reimagined for use in the modern studio environment. Bring home the sound of a legend, reimagined for the modern era, today!
First designed in 1960 by Abbey Road Head of Techncial Bill Livey, Deputy Head Len Page and seasoned EMI Audio Designer Mike Batchelor, the Abbey Road RS124 compressor is one of the most coveted pieces of recording gear ever developed. Born out of the inadequate Altec 436Bs acquired by EMI in the late 1950s for Abbey Road Studios, the RS124 compressor is most closely associated with recordings made by The Beatles at Abbey Road Studios. Present on virtually every Beatles session, the RS124 left its remarkable signature across most of the catalog. The RS124's undeniably smooth character and ability to tame transients without muffling the sound at steep compression levels, quickly became popular with Abbey Road Studios engineers and widely used throughout the now historic studio, for tracking, buss compression, mixing, and mastering. They where so integral to the recording and mixing process that a pair can be seen in almost every control room photo in Abbey Road Studios during the 60s period.
The RS124 was built for use at Abbey Road Studios, and was never commercially available. Through the years, from incomplete information and supposition, some have tried to recreate the holy grail of tube compressors, though never fully capturing the elusive Abbey Road RS124 in all its glory. Schematics themselves only told part of the story, and access to Abbey Road Studios' historic units and various hand written modification notes would prove paramount towards understanding the true nature of the Abbey Road RS124 compressor and variances between units. Many revisions were carried out since its inception, and as a result, the Abbey Road RS124 valve compressor has remained a mystery for decades, until now. Available now, for the first time ever, the Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor harnesses the sound and personalities of Abbey Road Studios' favorite historic RS124 Compressors (Ser. No's 60070B, 60050A, and 61010B) still in use at the famed studio to this day, all in a single unit. Along with features traditionally found on the original counterparts, Input control, Output attenuation, Recovery' (release) control and the unique HOLD' setting, the Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor includes modern facilities such as adjustable attack, selectable output impedance, and a special twist, dubbed the SuperFuse'.
Standard units come with variable Input and Output control potentiometers. Stepped Input and Output controls available for an upcharge via special request If you would like the Stepped Input and Output options, please call us at 888-228-4530 to order, or select from the Options Menu when adding to cart. Also, please take a look at our Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor (Matched Mastering Pair), which features Stepped Inputs and Outputs and Matched Components, standard.
Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor Features
- The true and final word on the RS124 design
- You get ALL of the favorite historic RS124 units in one box (serial numbers by their modded release times)
- The RS124 was made with the exclusive cooperation of Abbey Road Studios and their tech staff
- Measured directly against the original units, the Chandler Ltd RS124, and based upon design notes not in the schematics, which only told part of the story
- Output impedance is switchable between 200 and 600 Ohms
- Superfuse Switch on front panel takes the RS124 into nasty-land!
- A pair makes a ridiculously fantastic mix bus compressor
- Stepped Input and Output switches available for nominal / reasonable fee
- Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor (Matched Mastering Pair) is available, as well
Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor Specifications
- Tube (6BC8,6CG7, 6AL5) Vari-Mu
- Inputs: XLR (pin 2 hot)
- Output: XLR (pin 2 hot)
- Transformer balanced I/O (custom wound)
- Input Control: Variable (stepped special order)
- Output Attenuator: Variable (stepped special order)
- Attack: Selectable, Stepped (9 settings, including 3 Abbey Road Historic serial numbers)
- Recovery: Selectable, Stepped (6 settings, and HOLD)
- SuperFuse (switchable mode)
- Output Impedance: 200/600 ohms, switchable
- Stereo linkable: Standard 1/4″ jack
- Internal power supply
- 115 Volts (factory set)
Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor Includes
- Chandler Limited RS124 Compressor
- Manual & Literature
- IEC Power Cable
- Manufacturer Warranty
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is probably my favorite compressor of all time. It can do wonders to a signal and still leave it sounding unadulterated. Turn the Superfuse knob, and get a more aggressive sound like an RS-660, which I also own. I've got a lot of nice compressors (RS-660, API2500, SSL G-Comp), but a pair of RS-124s is probably the best, especially for tracking instruments acoustically.
This thing is amazing! It’s quickly becoming my favorite compressor. It’s so smooth and nice on vocal, bass and what you’d normally expect a Vari Mu to excel at, then you flip it into superfuse mode and it works on everything else as well. My only problem is that now I want a second and they are pretty expensive! I highly recommend this comp, if you’re on the fence just go for it, you will not regret it.
ITS EXCELLENT PRODUCT