The Burl Audio B16 Mothership AD/DA Converter combined with the BMB6 AES/EBU Interface Card will be the heart of yourAES/EBU system. Powerful and expansive, now the legendary Burl Audio sound can be found in a smaller more portable B16 Mothership.
The Burl Audio B16 Mothership AD/DA Converter utilizes the same technology developed for the B80, and uses the exact same I/O cards as the B80 Mothership, continuing Burl Audio’s deep dedication to analog, class-A circuitry. The result is not only heard, but it is also felt. The Mothership stands out from every other interface on the market not because it is colored, but because it does not sterilize the source. For anyone who has yearned for a Mothership in a smaller format, this is a dream come true. A typical setup is an 8 in, 8 out system, but it can also be configured as a 16 input tracking system or a 16-output portable mix rig.
BMB6 Interface Card
The BMB6 features 8 channels of AES/EBU I/O connectivity. Designed exclusively for the B16, the BMB6 provides an easy interface to any AES/EBU device. If you don’t need high channel count, the B16 with the BMB6 is a great way to go. The the B16-BMB6 with a BAD8 and BDA8 is an amazing 8 channel I/O. The B16-BMB6 with a BAD4M and a BDA4M with switchable input and output transformers is an incredible 4 channel I/O solution for mastering.
B16 Mothership Configuration
The Burl B16 Mothership is a modular chassis that allows you configure the chassis with any of their AD cards, DA cards, and even a Wordclock card, over it's 2 slots to meet the demands of your studio. First you select the chassis with the interfacing card that you need. In this case you have selected the AES/EBU (Burl BMB6), but you also have the MADI (Burl BMB2), Digilink (BMB1), DANTE (Burl BMB3), and SoundGrid (Burl BMB4) interface cards to choose from. Once you have the chassis setup with the right interfacing card, the fun starts with configuring your I/O. Burl Audio has several “Daughter Cards” to choose from, giving you a vast choice in configurations. These cards are sold seperately so you will have to add them to your cart, but lets take a look at your options:
- B4 Mic Pre – This card provides 4 high end mic preamps, that also accept line level input, over the four fully balanced XLR inputs. Utilizing their BX6 input transformers, the preamps are hi-fi and rich sounding, providing 4 channels of extremely musical AD conversion.
- BDA4 – This card provides 4 channels of high end musical DA conversion over fully balanced XLR connectors, and utilizes Burl's discrete BOPA14 Op-Amp, and BX5 nickel core output transformers.
- BAD4M – This card provides 4 mastering grade line level input channels of AD conversion. Utilizing Burls BOPA14 or BOPA11 op-amps (your choice), you get pristine detailed audio. Further the BX1 input transformers can be switched in and out of the signal to provide a little musical color if desired.
- BDA4M – This card provides all the same features of the BAD4M, but in mastering grade DA conversion, and it utilizes Burl's BX5 output transformers – which are able to be switched in and out of the signal path for musical color.
- BAD8 – This card provides 8 channels of high end musical AD conversion over a DB25 connector (Tascam wiring), and utilizes Burl's high definition BX1 input transformer.
- BDA8 – This card provides 8 channels of high definition DA conversion over a DB25 connector (Tascam wiring), in a transformerless design that utilizes Burl's BOPA14 discrete Op-Amps.
- BAES4 – This card provides 4 channels of AES/EBU input, and 4 channels of AES/EBU output, over XLR connectors. Clocking is carried over the AES/EBU connection, and the card features a BNC Wordclock output for sending clock to another device if needed.
- BCLK – This card provides 8 BNC Wordclock outputs, and one AES Wordclock output (for a total of 9 Wordclock outputs of stable low jitter clocking, with two independently programmable banks.
- B22 ORCA - This card provides a high-end and transparent monitor controller as well as a headphone amp to your Mothership. This is Burls Mothership version of their highly respected Orca Control Room Monitor controller. The B22 ORCA is available with either an ALPS (Standard) or ELMA (Switched - Optional) attenuator, a choice of Burl's BOPA14 or BOPA11 op-amps, and it features their BX5 output transformers – which are able to be switched in and out of the signal path for musical color.
Front End Audio is well versed in the Burl Audio line, so if you have any questions on the different configurations, cards, or options, just let us know and we will be happy to help you setup a B16 Mothership to meet your needs!
Burl Audio B16 Mothership AD/DA Converter Features
- 2 Card Slots
- 2U main chassis
- BMB6 AES/EBU Motherboard
- 1 BNC Word Clock In
- 2 BNC Word Clock Out
- All slots accept AD/DA, AES and BCLK
- 4 and 8 channel analog cards
Burl Audio B16 Mothership AD/DA Converter Includes
- Burl Audio B16 Mothership AD/DA Converter Chassis
- Burl Audio BMB6 AES/EBU Interface Card
- All Associated Power and Linking Cables
- Manufacturers Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review