SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier
The SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier is designed for record players using either moving magnet (MM) or moving coil (MC) cartridges. The equalization curve is according to RIAA and suitable for all vinyl records since 1954. The RIAA filter is designed after Douglas Self.
With up to 70 dB gain for MC cartridges and 51 dB gain for MM cartridges the SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier belongs to the most powerful phono preamplifiers.
The technical basis of all Professional Fidelity units is our proprietory 120 V Rail Technology, which we also call VOLTAiR technology. The name makes reference to the unequalled high voltage of 120 V (+/-60 V DC) and the huge dynamic range of over 140 dB that goes with it.
The purposes of the RIAA equalization, which is a form of pre-emphasis on recording and de-emphasis on playback, are to permit greater recording times by decreasing the mean width of each groove, to improve sound quality, and to reduce the groove damage that would otherwise arise during playback.
A recording is made with the low frequencies reduced and the high frequencies boosted, and on playback the opposite occurs. The net result is a flat frequency response, but with attenuation of high frequency noise such as hiss and clicks that arise from the recording medium.
Rumble from the playback turntable's drive mechanism is amplified by the low frequency boost that occurs on playback. The Phonos offers a switchable Subsonic filter to eliminate the rumble.
The preamplification is switchable and offers three values for MM and MC. The Normal gain is +47dB (MM) and +66 (MC). In the -10dB position the Phonos produces enough output level for standard consumer electronics products operating on -10dBV. In the +4dB position the output is equally loud as modern DA converters at 0dBfs = +15dBu.
Moving magnet cartridges tend to produce lush, mellow sound. By moving a magnet within copper coils a small voltage is created. MM cartridges sport very high inductance and impedance. In the latter, cable capacitance can negatively affect the flatness of frequency response and linearity of phase response. Phonos offers a selection of four capacities to fine tune the flatness of the frequency response or to willingly increase high frequencies in playback. The capacities are 150pF, 220pF and 330pF. In the OFF position the capacitance is determined by the cable capacitance.
The MC design is again a tiny electromagnetic generator, but (unlike an MM design) with the magnet and coils reversed. The resulting signal is only a few hundred microvolts, and thus more easily swamped by noise, induced hum, etc. Thus it is more challenging to design a preamplifier with the extremely low noise inputs needed for moving-coil cartridge. Phonos provides a 20dB higher preampfification for the MC stage compared to the MM stage.
MC cartridges offer very low inductance and impedance, which means that the effects of capacitance (in the cable that goes from the cartridge to the preamp) are negligible. The impedance of cartridge can be set in six values: 100, 220, 470, 2.2k, 4.7k, and 10kOhm. If in doubt which impedance matches the cartridges impedance you can empirically determine the value for the flattest frequency response.
SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier Features
- 120 V rail phono preamplifier for record players
- RIAA equalization (after Douglas Self)
- Suitable for MM (Moving Magnet) and MC (Moving Coil) cartridges
- Max. preamplification: 51dB (MM); 70dB (MC)
- Capacitances for MM: Off, 150 pF, 220 pF and 330 pF
- Impedances for MC: 100, 220, 470; 2k2, 4k7 and 10 kohms
- Styroflex condensers used throughout the RIAA equalizer
- Switchable Gain: Normal, -10 dB, +4 dB
- Gold-plated RCA in- and outputs
- Audio ground connection for record player
- Switchable rumble filter (Subsonic)
- Linear power supply with toroidal transformer
- Made in Germany
SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier Specifications
- Inputs and Outputs
- RCA, unbalanced, gold-plated
- Input impedance (MM): 100 kohms
- Output impedance (MC): switchable
- Output impedance: < 5 ohms
- Crosstalk: -80dB (at 1 kHz)
- RIAA equalizer (after Douglas Self)
- Moving Magnet (MM) preamplifier
- Amplification: 47 dB (Norm.), 37 dB (-10 dB), 51 dB (+4 dB)
- Switchable capacitance: Off, 150 pF, 220 pF and 330 pF
- Noise (A-weighted): -85,3 dB
- Moving Coil (MC) Verstärker
- Amplification : 66 dB (Norm.), 56 dB (-10 dB), 70 dB (+4 dB)
- Schaltbare Impedances: 100, 220, 470, 2k2, 4k7, 10 k ohms
- Noise (A-weighted): -61,7 dB
- Internal Operating Voltage: +/- 60 V
- Power Supply
- Mains voltage (switchable): 230 V AC / 50 Hz or 115 V AC / 60 Hz
- Fuses: 230 V: T 500 mA; 115 V: T 1 A
- Power consumption: max. 30 VA
- Stand-by power consumption: 0.7 W
- Dimensions (incl. feet)
- 278 mm W x 57 mm H x 330 mm D
- 10.95 in W x 2.24 in H x 13 in D
- 3.2 kg; 7.05 lbs (unit only)
- 4.3 kg; 9.5 lbs (shipping)
SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier Includes
- SPL Phonos RIAA Phono Preamplifier
- Power Cable
- Two Year Warranty
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I was very pleased with the process, price and delivery. FrontEnd Audio made it more than easy. Thank you!!!