The Royer R-10 Ribbon Microphone is a fantastic compact ribbon microphone ideal for the studio or live recording applications where a low profile microphone design is needed. If you are recording guitars, brass instruments or drums then the Royer R-10 is the perfect microphone for you!
The Royer R-10 is a passive mono ribbon microphone designed for critical studio and live performance applications. Its compact size and mounting configuration allows for flexible placement with minimum intrusion. The R-10 exhibits a flat frequency response and a well-balanced soundfield, while at the same time handling sound pressure levels of up to 160 dB @ 1 kHz. The R-10 incorporates advancements pioneered by Royer Labs, including a multi-layered wind screen and an internally shockmounted ribbon transducer. The layered wind screen provides superior protection from air blasts and plosives, and also reduces proximity effect so guitar cabinets and acoustic instruments can be close miked with less bass build-up. The R-10’s internally shockmounted ribbon transducer assembly isolates the ribbon element from shocks and vibrations and increases ribbon durability.
The R-10 is a perfect choice for electric guitars, brass instruments and drums, and its figure-8 pattern conveys superb ambience and depth when used for room miking applications. The R-10’s smooth frequency response, phase linearity and lack of self-distortion make it ideal for digital recording. The R-10 incorporates Royer’s patented offset-ribbon technology and low mass, 2.5-micron (99.9% pure) aluminum ribbon element. A custom designed impedance-matching transformer minimizes saturation and the open grill configuration minimizes standing waves and associated comb-filtering effects. The transducer’s flux-frame design and rare earth Neodymium magnets create a powerful magnetic field which increases sensitivity while reducing stray magnetic radiation. The R-10’s patented offset-ribbon design positions the ribbon element towards the front of the transducer, which allows for the higher SPL handling of the front (logo) side and the option of a brighter response when recording lower SPL sound sources on the back side (3 feet or closer; phase reversed position).
Royer R-10 Ribbon Microphone Features
- High SPL capability for electric guitar, brass and other close miking applications
- Multi-layered wind screen provides superior protection to ribbon element
- Internally shock-mounted ribbon transducer gives increased durability
- Passive design and custom transformer minimize high SPL overload
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, “ringing” and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of the element
Royer R-10 Ribbon Microphone Recommended Applications
- Close miking in the studio and on live stages
- Electric & acoustic guitars
- Drums, Drums , Drums!
- Percussion instruments
- Brass, horn sections
- Strings - solo & sections
- Acoustic piano
Royer R-10 Ribbon Microphone Specifications
- Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium (Grade 52)
- Response: 30Hz-15,000Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -54dBv (re. 1v/pa)
- Output Impedance: 100 Ohms
- SPL: 135dB @ 50 Hz, 160dB @ 1kHz
- Recommended Load Impedance: 700 Ohms (or greater)
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3-pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: Length including mounting base: 5 7/8 inches (149 mm) Width 1 3/8 inches (35 mm)
- Weight: 13 oz (368 grams)
- Warranty: Five years. First re-ribbon free to original owner within first year of purchase.
Royer R-10 Ribbon Microphone Includes
- R-10 Ribbon Microphone
- Adjustable Swivel Mount
- Mic Sock
- Carrying Case
- Royer Brochure
- Quick Start Guide
- Royer Sticker
- Manufacturer Warranty
4 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I Purchased the Royer R-10 back about a month ago and got to really test the mic and it was impressive! Running through an APB Console flat on the channel with a slight high pass, I miked the guitar cabinet close to center, the sound of the guitar was very natural with no coloration, basically what you hear from the amp is what you get!
Just bought this over the holidays. Great warm sound while mic’ing my Morgan and Mesa amps. I double mic with the sm57 and find the combo big and flexible .
Excellent mic at that price. Just don’t blow into it. It hates that
Very natural sounding mic! Put it in front of an acoustic guitar and it sounds right. Nothing to it. So much easier than a condenser. Works perfectly for voice, too. Takes EQ without any trouble, and very low noise.