The Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer is aimed mainly at mix and mastering – for the situations where you have a mix that is already nearly-perfect balanced, but you want it a tad darker or brighter without messing up the overall definition.
The Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer is an elaboration of Gyraf Audio's G23 Equalizer, where they added a selectable option for either solid-state or tube audio path.
The Gyraf Audio G23-S is an updated version of Gyraf Audio G23 – now including an option for selection between all-solid-state technology or classic tube circuitry. Gyraf Audio added an additional step to the bypass switch - marked "S" - which instantly shifts you into solid-state land: Inputs become differential instrumentation type in stead of transformer, active equalizer stage gets controlled by a state-of-the-art opamp, and output stage gets servo-balanced in stead of tube/transformer drive.
What sets it apart from all other EQ designs is that Gyraf Audio designed it around a highly linear 1dB/oct slope filter, so that rotating the control will adjust an almost ruler-straight response curve, to a maximum steepness of 1dB/Oct. So what you acheive in the 1dB/Oct tilt function is to "spread out" or distribute the "needed" phase roll across the whole spectrum, meaning that at any given interval, only minute amounts of group delay is apparent. In total, it allows quite some correction without sounding "Eq'ed". And because you'd occasionally want to correct outer ends of spectrum, they have added a gentle Baxandall tone control, shelving lows and highs, wide-Q bell mid, each at three selectable frequencies, that they spent quite some time optimizing.
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Features
- Mainly for mix and mastering
- Option for selection between all-solid-state technology or classic tube circuitry
- Designed around a highly linear 1dB/oct slope filter
- Gentleness and subtlety are G23-S design targets
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Specifications
- Topology: Pure Class-A
- Inputs: Floating, Transformer Balanced
- Input Impedance: 10K Ohm "Bridging" Type, 24K Ohm Servo-Balanced
- Input/Output Connectors: Standard XLR Jacks, Pin 2 Hot
- Outputs: Floating, Transformer Balanced
- Source Impedance: < 500 Ohms, Servo-Balanced at < 50 Ohm
- Optimum Operating Levels: Around +4dBu
- Operating Voltages: 220-230V AC, 35W, US Version; 110-120VAC
- Mains Fuse: 630mA Slow-Blow Type, US Version; 630mA Slow-blow (“T”) Type
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Includes
- Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer
- Power Cord
- 4 x Rubber Feet
- User Manual
- 2 Year Warranty
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Downloads
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Mastering sidekickDec 1st 2020
I played with this at NAMM and it immediately became the first thing I wanted to get next. And now I am. I have so many EQs, but none have the tilt shift. I find I always end up tilt shifting slightly with Equillibrium or Fabfilter Q3 after all my analog EQing to get it to sit juuuuust right. But, after playing with this, it sounds sooooo much better and natural, and hands on. I'm getting it.