Radial J48 Active Direct Box
The Radial J48 Active Direct Box is the world’s finest phantom-powered active DI, designed to handle the new generation of active battery-equipped acoustic guitars and basses that often overload typical direct boxes and cause distortion. The J48 produces an exceptionally linear response that extends from 20Hz up to well above 40kHz.
The Radial J48 Active Direct Box has been designed from the ground up to deliver the most natural tone. As a direct box manufacturer, the Radial do not believe it is their task to alter the sound of your prized '1962 Fender Jazz Bass', but retain and transfer the true character of the instrument to the mixing console without adding distortion or introducing artifact. This design philosophy has gained a tremendous following from many of the world's most demanding musicians.
Using only 48V phantom power, the Radial J48 is an active direct box that produces an exceptionally linear response that extends from 20Hz up to well above 40kHz. Low distortion of all types is achieved via a unique digital switching power supply that raises the internal operating rail voltage for added headroom and improved signal handling. The results are truly amazing. The Radial J48 delivers an ideal even-order harmonic cascade and a sonic performance that outperforms DIs costing several hundreds more.
And like all Radial products, the Radial J48 is both feature-rich for studio and made tough to handle the road. This includes a -15dB input pad to tame extra loud signals, 180° polarity reverse for feedback control on stage and a ground lift to help reduce hum & buzz caused by ground loops. Special features include a merge function that elegantly mixes left-right signals to mono without phase cancellation. To minimize resonant feedback with acoustic instruments, the Radial J48 is also equipped with an 80Hz high-pass filter (low-cut). When engaged, this also increases headroom by eliminating unneeded bass frequencies.
Radial's innovative book-end design protects switches and connectors from abuse while the internal I-beam construction eliminates stress on the PC board. This serves to reduce solder joints from going 'cold' and delivers trouble-free performance for years. A full-bottom no-slip pad provides mechanical and electrical isolation while providing plenty of 'stay-put' for rockin' stages!
The Radial J48 is used by artists as diverse as acoustic guitarist Tommy Emmanuel; super-star engineer Joe Chiccarelli; and one of the most successful bands of all time, Fleetwood Mac.
The Radial J48... the world's finest 48V phantom powered active direct box.
Radial J48 Active Direct Box Features
- Ultra low distortion of all types
- Exceptional headroom & dynamic range
- Retains instrument's natural sound
- Powered by 48V phantom
- uperior dynamic headroom
- High input impedance reduces loading
- Merge switch sums stereo instruments to mono
- Low-cut fi lter, -15 dB PAD, and polarity reverse
- Huge 9-Volt internal rail voltage for extra headroom
- Handles loud transients without choking or clipping
- No batteries required, works with phantom-power
Radial J48 Active Direct Box Applications
- Ideal for active acoustic guitars and basses
- Great for keyboards and drum modules
- Equally wonderful for live or studio
- Provides extra ‘reach’ and ‘air’ in your sound!
Radial J48 Active Direct Box Specifications
- Type: Active 48V with switching supply
- Input Impedance: Unbalanced 220K-Ohms
- Output Impedance: Balanced 600-Ohms
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 80kHz
- Linear Performance: +/- 0.12dB from 20Hz to 20kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.06% @ 20Hz, 0.005% @ 1kHz
- Phase Distortion: 0.02º at 1kHz
- Maximum Input Voltage: 3.12 Volts RMS ( 9V peak )
- Size: 3.5" wide, 2" high, 5.5" deep
- Weight: 1kg or 2lbs
- Construction: Welded 14-gauge steel
- Finish: Baked enamel coat
Radial J48 Active Direct Box Includes
- Radial J48 Active Direct Box
- User Guide
- 3 Year Warranty
Radial J48 Active Direct Box Downloads
Click here to view all Radial products