FMR Audio RNC Really Nice Compressor
The FMR Audio RNC Really Nice Compressor is a high-fidelity, stereo compressor intended to provide dynamic range control with minimal side effects! Between the quality, performance, and price point – the RNC really just makes sense.
The RNC achieves such high performance at a low cost by using evolutionary advances in digital technology, coupled with the best analog has to offer. Using digital controls and an all-analog signal path, the RNC offers accurate, precise controls and a clean tonal character.
The RNC provides two modes of operation: normal and SuperNice. Normal mode allows the RNC to be used for everyday compression tasks, like punchy snare drums or bass guitars, and is great for everything from gentle compression to serious squashing. SuperNice mode provides near-invisible signal compression for sensitive material where compression artifacts are less desirable (like vocals, acoustic guitar or the program bus).
The FMR Audio RNC now now utilizes a 12VDC power supply, and is not compatible with older 9VAC models or power supplies.
FMR Audio RNC Really Nice CompressorFeatures
- How It Sounds
- In a word: transparent. The RNC yields clean, airy compression with few artifacts and little high end loss, even at massive gain reduction. This amazing performance is why many professionals are calling the RNC one of the best sounding compressors for under $2000 (and with a MSRP of $199US , it's way under two grand).
- What is SuperNice Mode?
- A clever technique to reduce compression artifacts is the use of multiple compressors cascaded serially. In this way, none of the individual compressors has to work quite as hard as they would if there was only one compressor doing the same amount of gain reduction. If things are properly adjusted, you can accomplish a good level of signal control without the usual "choked" sound of the typical lone compressor. By the way, this technique works well with almost any type/brand of compressor(s). Try it with the other compressors in your rack!
- There are downsides to using multiple compressors in your rack to achieve this artifact reduction:
- Lotsa Compressors: For each source, you have to dedicate a number of compressors. Most of us already don't have enough compressors to go around, let alone dedicating 2 or 3 (or more) compressors per track.
- Lotsa Experience/Patience Required: It takes a lot of experience with compressors to know how to adjust each compressor's settings to achieve the end result. It's already difficult for many of us to set up a single compressor, much less multiple units for just one source.
- Lotsa Noise: Many compressors, particularly some of the "vintage" ones, don't have very good noise floors. This becomes even more problematic when you want to cascade multiple units.
- Inside the RNC
- FMR Audio considered both the upside and downside while developing the RNC's cascaded-compressor mode, called the SuperNice mode. SuperNice mode provides three compressors in series, giving you the advantages of multiple-unit compression without the listed problems:
- The Lotsa Compressors problem: By creating special sidechain electronics, FMR is able to triple the compressors in one box without tripling the cost or space. And think about how much you'll save on patch cables!
- The Lotsa Experience/Patience Required problem: Even though it still takes some time to get used to the novel aspects of SuperNice mode, it takes much less time than trying to dial up 5 parameters on 3 separate compressors! To some extent, FMR has spent the time for you by testing, trying and tweaking the RNC SuperNice mode on a multitude of different sources over a long period of time with many different music styles and recording engineers. The result is the current balance of the 3 SuperNice mode compressors in the RNC.
- The Lotsa Noise problem: Again, due to the special sidechain electronics, FMR has been able to triple the compressors in one box without tripling the noise.
- The best part is: it works great! Spend some time working with SuperNice mode and you'll find yourself using it more and more for vocals, clean guitars, or your program bus.
FMR Audio RNC Really Nice Compressor Specifications
- Size: 1/3 x 1 EIA rack unit
- Connectors: 1/4" Unbalanced I/O (TS, or TRS for console inserts); L/R in & out, TRS sidechain
- Input Z/Output Z: 10kΩ/100Ω
- Operating Level: 0.775 Vrms (0 dBu) nominal
- Noise: Less than -90dBu over 20-20kHz
- Frequency response: 10 - 100k Hz Â±0.5dB @ 0dBu
- Clip point: +22.5dBu @ 3% THD, 1kHz, greater than 2kOhm load
- Distortion: less than 0.1%, no gain reduction @ 1 kHz, 0dBu less than 0.5%, 6 dB G.R. @ 1kHz, 6:1, 6.0msec attack, 0.5 sec release, 0dB gain, 0dBu
- Threshold range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Ratio range: 1:1 to 25:1
- Attack range: 0.2 msec to 200msec for 100% correction with <15dB over threshold input signal
- Release range: .05 sec to 5.0 sec for 100% recovery with 15dB G.R.
- Output trim range: Â±15dB
- AC Power: Wall transformer, 12VDC
- Dimensions: 5.5" x 5.5" x 1.6"
- Weight: 2 lbs
- Controls and Displays
- Rotary: Threshold, Ratio, Attack Time, Release Time, Output Level
- Switches: Bypass, Mode Select
- Meter: 8-segment LED Gain Reduction, 0-20 dB
- Normal: Provides fast attack/release, accurate compression
- Super Nice: Layered compressors, reduces compression artifacts
FMR Audio RNC Really Nice Compressor Includes
- Power Supply
- Manual (Downloadable)
FMR Audio RNC Really Nice Compressor Downloads
What We Think
I have been the proud owner of an FMR RNC for eight years now. Even have one of the original ones that were built in the plastic project box. Eight years later, and it still works like the day I bought it, and makes it into every recording session I do. The RNC is unbelievably transparent. It is great for some parallel compression on a drum buss, where you don’t want to add color to the mix; you just want the drums bigger. It also does a great job in balancing a stereo piano performance. Of course my favorite feature is the “Super Nice” mode. Engage that the next time you need that perfect vocal or acoustic guitar vocal. FMR gear has definitely made itself a home in my studio. Between the quality, performance, and price point – it really just makes sense.
Click here to view all FMR Audio products