Earthworks QTC30 Omnidirectional Microphone Details
Earthworks QTC30 is an omnidirectional (pressure) prepolarized condenser microphone directly coupled to a dedicated wideband, low output impedance preamplifier. The QTC30 requires a standard 48V phantom power supply. It features an extended linear free-field frequency response from 6Hz to 30kHz, extremely fast impulse response, low self-noise, very low handling noise, uniform polar pattern, and high SPL handling capabilities. It exhibits no proximity effect.
Each microphone is delivered with its own calibration chart providing the individually measured frequency response curve. A mounting clip is included with the microphone.
Earthworks QTC30 Omnidirectional Microphone Applications
Earthworks QTC30 is easy to operate. Connect the microphone to a microphone preamplifier supplying 48V phantom power using a standard XLR microphone cable. Please allow up to one minute for the microphone to settle. Plugging in the microphone “hot” (phantom power already present at the input) will not damage the microphone, and is actually preferred for faster settling. It is normal for any phantom powered mic to “pop” when plugged in or powered up. Make sure to mute the signal to speakers or headphones when phantom power is first applied.
The QTC30 is designed for recording quieter sources such as vocals, strings, woodwinds, and distant-miked orchestras or choirs. It is intended for detailed sources and does not have most of the problems and limitations generally associated with competitive microphones. Its fast impulse response and diaphragm settling time results in very natural and uncolored sound. The QTC30 is an excellent room mic for ambiance in the studio and for recording rehearsals and performances.
This microphone has no removable parts.
Earthworks QTC30 Omnidirectional Microphone Features
- With a frequency response to 30kHz and excellent impulse response, it will reproduce sounds with incredible detail that are true and life-like, making it an ideal and affordable choice for recording applications
- Intended for detailed sources and does not have most of the problems and limitations generally associated with competitive microphones
- Omnidirectional polar pattern
- Accurate and uncolored
- QTC microphones handle sound levels up to 142dB with no proximity effect or handling noise
- All models are available in matched pairs
- No handling noise
- QTC30 Uses
- Acoustic Guitar
- Brass Instruments
- Drum Overhead
- Foley Recording
- String Instruments
Earthworks QTC30 Omnidirectional Microphone Specifications
- Frequency Response: 6Hz to 30kHz ±1/-3dB
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional (Fig. 4)
- Sensitivity: 30mV/Pa (Typical)
- Power Requirements: 48V Phantom, 10mA
- Peak Acoustic Input: 142dB SPL
- Output: XLR (Fig. 1)
- Output Impedance: 100Ω, balanced (50Ω ea. pin 2 & 3)
- Minimum Load: 600Ω btw. pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 22dBA equivalent
- Dimensions L x D: 165 x 22 mm (6.25 x .860 in.)
- Weight: 160g (.35lb)
Earthworks QTC30 Omnidirectional Microphone Downloads
What We Think - Earthworks QTC30 Review
The Earthworks QTC30 can be summed up in one word, Pristine. The sound is just real. There is an openness, detail, and full range natural realness to the mic that captures the sound source honestly. The QTC30 is great on almost everything. Drum Overheads, Drum Room, Acoustic Guitar (and stringed instruments), woodwind, piano, and choir, are just some of the things I have used the QTC30 on, with amazing results. It really is an amazing mic. I have no idea how Earthworks got such a wide response and realism out of such a small capsule, but they achieve great things with their mics (have from the beginning), and the QTC30 is no exception.
- Ryan Ferris
Click here to view all Earthworks products