Grace Design m802 8-Channel Remote Microphone Preamp Details
The Grace Design m802, quite possibly the world’s most evolved mic preamplifier, delivers functionality and performance which simply doesn’t exist in any other mic amp design.
The core is a high fidelity 8 channel microphone preamplifier designed to be extremely transparent and musical. But that’s just the beginning. The m802 is fully remote controllable. With their full featured stand alone hardware RCU (optional), up to 64 channels (a system of 8 m802’s) can be addressed and controlled seamlessly from up to 1000’ away. All preamplifier functions, including gain, phase, 48V phantom are instantly accessible and adjustable. These settings can then all be stored into preset locations and instantly recalled.
The m802 can also be controlled directly from Avid ProTools|HD systems, compatible control surfaces and many other MIDI devices. Working with Avid, Grace Design has adapted Avid's control spec to directly address the m802 as an integrated part of a ProTools|HD system. Additionally, the m802 can be controlled by a wide variety of MIDI mappable devices, making it easily integrated into a wide variety of remote recording situations.
Next, consider the optional 8 channel 24bit/192kHz A/D card option. Developed as the perfect complement to the m802 mic preamplifier design, this converter card provides pristine, musical A/D conversion to rival even the finest stand alone units available. Included is Grace Design's proprietary unique s-Lock dual stage PLL for extremely low intrinsic jitter and rock solid digital performance.
The m802 now includes ribbon mic mode, which shifts the preamplifier’s entire gain range up 10dB, while deactivating 48V phantom power, optimizing input impedance (20 kOhms) and bypassing the decoupling capacitors.
DPA 4000 series 130V microphones are widely regarded as some of the finest reference-quality microphones available. Yet, with their unique 130V power requirement, preamplifier options for these mics are quite limited. So Grace Design have made the m802 an excellent complement for DPA microphones by adding a 130V power option, available on a per channel pair basis.
While the m802 works beautifully as a stand alone mic preamplifier, the optional Remote Control Unit (RCU) provides fantastic ergonomics and enhanced system control. This updated RCU now offers dedicated individual channel select switches and a new highly visible blue LED numeric display for channel gain settings. Both the RCU and the m802 now come with a high contrast, neutral backlight LCD.
Whatever your application, Grace Design and Front End Audio invite you to discover the remarkable sonic performance, functionality and reliability of the new m802. We’re confident that it will help you make the finest recordings of your career.
The Grace m802 does not include the Grace Design m802RCU Remote Control Unit, an optional accessory, is available here.
Similarly, the A/D Option for the Grace Design m802 is available separately here.
You may also add these options to your purchase by making the corresponding selections in the pull-down menus to the right and then click "Add To Cart". Or you can place your order over the phone Toll-Free at 888-228-4530.
Grace Design m802 8-Channel Remote Microphone Preamp Features
- fast, musical transimpedance amplifier architecturefully balanced, transformeless design
- flexible digital metering with peak hold and reset
- controllable from Avid/Digidesign ProTools|HD systems and compatible control surfaces (and many other MIDI devices)
- dual high-current outputs (XLR+D-Sub) drive long cable runs and loads down to 50 Ohms
- fast, efficient Philips I2C serial protocol to control preamplifiers from up to 1000 feet away
- gain range of -7dB to +63dB in 1.5 dB steps
- new selectable ribbon mic mode
- channel group mode (perfect for stereo pairs, subgroups)
- RCU able to address up to 8 units (64 channels)
- front panel lockout mode
- large neutral backlit LCD display
- 15 User preset memory locations, for saving preamplifier settings (gain, phantom power, phase)
- 130V phantom power available, per channel pair, for DPA microphones
- five year transferable warranty on parts and labor
Grace Design m802 8-Channel Remote Microphone Preamp Specifications
- Frequency Response
- @ 40dB gain 0.2dB (50? source): 15Hz-300kHz
- @ 40dB gain 3dB (50? source): 4.5Hz-1.0MHz
- @ 19.6dB gain +20dBu out, 1kHz: <.0007%
- @ 40.5dB gain +20dBu out, 1kHz: <.0010%
- @ 60.0dB gain +20dBu out, 1kHz: <.0050%
- Intermodulation Distortion @ 40dB gain +20dBu out
- SMPTE/DIN 1:1 (50Hz, 7kHz): <.0015%
- SMPTE/DIN 4:1 (50Hz, 7kHz): <.0040%
- Noise - Referred to Input
- @ 60dB gain, 50Ω source: -129dB
- @ 60dB gain, 150Ω source: -127dB
- @ 60dB gain, 600Ω source: -123dB
- Phase Deviation
- 100-20KHz @ 40.5dB gain: < 3
- Any Channel @ 40.5dB gain 1kHz: -110dB
- @ 60dB gain, 3.5Vcm, 1kHz: >70dB
- @ 60dB gain, 3.5Vcm, 10kHz: >70dB
- Maximum Output Level
- Balanced: +27dBu
- Unbalanced: +21dBu
- Input: 4.35kΩ
- Output: 200Ω
- Minimum load impedance: 50Ω
- Weight and Dimensions
- m802 preamplifier
- Weight: 12lbs (5.4kg)
- Dimensions: 2U rack mount x D10
- Remote Control Unit (optional)
- Weight: 2.3lbs (1kg),
- Dimensions: H1.6 x W8 x D5.25
- Power Supply Unit (included)
- Weight: 4lbs (1.8kg), H1.7 x W 8.5 x D8.5
- Power Consumption: 100/120/230/240V~ 50-60Hz
Grace Design m802 8-Channel Remote Microphone Preamp Downloads
What We Think - Grace Design m802 Review
"The Grace Design m802 takes the incredibly open and supremely detailed sound of the revered m801 8-Channel Preamplifier and adds remote control capabilities as well as options for a variety of A/D conversion. Control either directly from within a Pro Tools HD system or use the optional m802 RCU remote, and place the main-unit of the m802 close to your sources and microphones for best possible signal preamplification without sacrificing control - or having to run a distance to make a simple level adjustment. These functionality enhancements make the Grace Design m802 a no-brainer for the advanced recordist in the field or in the studio."
Alan Moon - Front End Audio
Click here to view all Grace Design products