Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Class A Compressor Details
The STC-8 is a high quality stereo compressor combined with a remarkably dependable peak limiter, providing overload protection critical to digital recording and broadcast transmitters. The STC-8's compressor is engineered to provide musically transparent gain control, but is also capable of emulating vintage equipment and creating distinctive new sounds.
In addition, a switchable enhancement circuit creates analog and tube like warmth to enrich lifeless audio and digital recordings. This vast flexibility is simplified by the inclusion of several optimized presets, allowing fast, easy setup on a wide variety of sounds. It can operate in true stereo or discrete independent mono, accessible by a front panel switch.
The STC-8's sophisticated side-chain allows both compression and peak limiting to take place simultaneously, using the same proprietary gain circuit. High signal quality is maintained by utilizing a discrete class A audio path, and by eliminating any VCA or optical gain control elements.
The STC-8 requires 2 rack spaces. All inputs and outputs are transformerless and balanced. The toroidal power transformer is UL approved and allows four line voltages for international use.
The STC-8 delivers consistent gain control without sacrificing musical definition or harmonic richness.
The "Ki" and "Hara" Mode Switches - DISTORTION IN COMPRESSORS
Distortion in compressors is dependent on the RELEASE TIME and the KI & HARA Sounds RATIO. The higher the ratio or the faster the release time, the greater the amount of induced distortion. This distortion follows the low frequencies and the sound envelope. In all conventional compressors, tube or solid Tube Warmth state, this distortion is third harmonic. The distortion is third harmonic because of the way the control circuits and gain control elements function.
Third harmonic distortion is a major part of what are called artifacts. Artifacts influence the sound of the compressor and may or may not be musical. Third harmonic distortion is not a musical artifact.
The STC-8 has the ability to change the type of induced distortion to second harmonic. In doing this the non-musical artifact of third harmonic distortion is changed to the musically pleasing sound of second harmonic distortion. The STC-8 is the only compressor-limiter on the market that has the ability to change the induced distortion from third harmonic to second.
Changing the induced distortion from third harmonic to second harmonic results in new and different sounds and adds warmth. This change allows the use of higher compression levels with fast release times and still have the sound remain musical. This function is enabled on the STC-8 by putting the MODE SWITCH in the KI position.
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Class A Compressor Features
- Simultaneous Compression/Limiting
- Discrete Class A
- Balanced/Transformerless I/O
- Quick & Easy Presets
- 'KI' & 'HARA' Sounds
- Transparent Overload Protection
- Digital & Analog Mastering
- System Overload Protection
- Broadcast Engineering
- Project Studio DAW
- Stereo Bus Compression
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Class A Compressor Specifications
- Input: Floating, balanced. Maximum input is +25 dBm. The connectors are XLR.
- Output: Floating, balanced. Maximum output is +25 dBm. The connectors are XLR.
- For Input and Output: Pin 2 is Sig + , Pin 3 is Sig- , Pin 1 is GND
- Side Chain Connections: Floating, balanced. Connections are made by using a DB-15 Male Connector. This is a loop insert and must be normaled back to the STC-8.
- Unbalanced Connections: Are made by tying the SIG- Pin to the GND Pin. If the connection is an input, it is best to tie at the signal source. If the connection is an output, it is best to tie at the STC-8 connector.
- Power: 100, 120, 230,240 volt; 50/60 Hz; 55 watts
- MDL .6A Fuse for 100V and 120V
- MDL .3A Fuse for 230V and 240V
- Pilot Lamp: # 7335
- Shipping Weight: 19 lbs. (8.6 kg)
- Depth Behind Panel: 12.5 inches (31.75 cm) plus cabling
- Panel Height: 2 rack spaces
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Class A Compressor Downloads
VERSIONS of the CRANE SONG STC-8:
- Crane Song STC-8: The standard - Everything you've read about above with smooth, continuously variable potentiometers. Great for standard use where dialing in a sound needs precision, but not exact recall ability.
- Crane Song STC-8/H: Detented output gain for utmost accuracy and resetability.
- Crane Song STC-8/M: All pots with detented control. The ultimate Mastering version.
Click here to view all Crane Song products