Vanguard Audio Labs V44S Stereo Microphone
The Vanguard Audio Labs V44S Stereo Microphone is a stereo large-diaphragm multi-pattern FET condenser microphone. Lovingly crafted by experts over 2 years, it is designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional tool in the vein of highly-sought-after vintage stereo condensers of yesteryear.
With a pair of coincident twin custom-voiced multi-pattern capsules, you can utilitize X/Y, Mid-Side, Blumlein, and other less conventional stereo microphone techniques in a single microphone. With an all-new detented heavy-duty rotation mechanism, versatile splitter box, premium cryogenically-treated FET circuitry, and a VLSM shockmount, the V44S is the first and last stereo microphone youll ever need to reach for.
Vanguard Audio Labs designed the V44S with the character of classic stereo microphones in mind, while also utilizing modern technology & design to meet the demands of todays recording professionals. Their ultra-thin 3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured.
Both custom-voiced capsules are independently switchable between cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8 pickup patterns, enabling X/Y, Mid-Side, and Blumlein stereo micing within one microphone, as well as less conventional stereo techniques.
One of Vanguard biggest frustrations heard from users of stereo microphones is the flaws of current and past headbasket rotation assemblies. Too often, the current designs are fragile and prone to noisy operation, breakage, and signal loss. Therefore, Vanguard designed a heavy-duty, punched-steel rotation mechanism which detents every 15 degrees for reliable, durable operation.
The included splitter box contains an additional phase-reversed top capsule output, which is perfect for less-than-ideal recording conditions such as concert taping. This allows mid-side recording with no additional mixer patching.
After hundreds of hours of listening and testing exhaustive design variations with world-class engineers, Vanguard Audio Labs can confidently say that this microphone will vastly exceed the performance of other stereo microphones in its price range, and rival the performance of stereo microphones costing several times more.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V44S is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and precision-built in limited quantities to no-compromise standards, with final assembly and 100% testing taking place here in Southern California. Vanguard Audio Labs started with twin extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule assemblies and custom-voiced them with a proprietary hand-tuning process, placing each capsule in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections. The top headbasket rotates up to 90 degrees, with detents every 15 degrees for repeatability of settings.
Vanguard Audio Labs then designed a transformerless solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of our capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world. We cryogenically treated critical components in the signal & power paths, including an ultra-high-grade FET.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined brass body is coated with their signature Pinot Noir, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Your Vanguard Audio Labs V44Ss serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V44S was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of experience and vetted by award-winning engineers and producers.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V44S was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. Vanguard perform 100% quality control every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests here in Southern California before being hand-packed.
Every part of the V44S was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-specced. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Brass, steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by a FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
Vanguard Audio Labs V44S Stereo Microphone At A Glance
- Headbasket Rotation - the V44S headbasket solves the problem that plagues every stereo mic we've ever seen - the lack of a quality rotation assembly. Instead of a contact wafer (noisy) or wire tension (fragile) design, we created a robust punched steel and ball-bearing mechanism from scratch. It's incredibly durable and reliable - and it detents every 15 degrees.
- Capsules - we match each set of capsules, and we're using the same custom-voiced, edge-terminated, 3-micron diaphragm dual-capsule assemblies as our V13. Each capsule is independently switchable between cardioid, omni, and figure-8 to allow for a cornucopia of stereo mic'ing techniques including X/Y, Mid-Side, and Blumlein. Each headbasket uses the same open-air mesh as our V13 for transparency and low internal reflections. Most stereo mics on the market use 67-style capsules with high-frequency edginess and lack of low end definition, and our V44S capsules address that problem while being incredibly sensitive and detailed.
- Splitter Box - we added a few unique features to our splitter box for concert tapers/location sound recordists. An additional phase-inverted, transformer-isolated top output allows for Mid-Side operation without any mixer or DAW patching.
- Circuitry - We've loaded our solid-state, transformerless circuit with premium over-spec'd components carefully selected & sourced from around the world, including a cutting-edge transistor with mind-blowing specifications.
- The Extras - the kit of course comes with our awesome VLSM Heavy-Duty Shockmount. Additional accessories include a padded pinewood storage box, a microfiber microphone sleeve, locking aluminum carrying case, 5-pin cable, and splitter box.
- Aesthetics - a mic should sound twice as good as it looks. So we dressed out the V44S with our signature Pinot Noir gloss finish, mirror-cast badge, polished nickel trim, and precision-machined metalwork.
- Quality - Final assembly, capsule matching, and 100% quality control takes place here in Southern California. Every V44S comes with a serialized hand-filled QC card and 5-year warranty.
Vanguard Audio Labs V44S Stereo Microphone Features
- Twin custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 3 independently selectable polar patterns per capsule
- Electronically-balanced solid-state circuitry loaded with premium-grade components
- Ultra-low-noise JFET design
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
- 90º rotatable top capsule with 15º detents
- Versatile splitter box for mobile & live recording conditions
- Heavy-duty brass, aluminum, steel, and zinc construction
- Robust punched-steel capsule rotation mechanism
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and open-air voicing
- Each V44S comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
Vanguard Audio Labs V44S Stereo Microphone Specifications
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Solid-state, electronically-balanced output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 5-pin, gold-plated
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Voltage Requirement: Phantom Power (+48V ideal)
Vanguard Audio Labs V44S Stereo Microphone Includes
- VLSM Large Shockmount
- V44S Splitter Box
- 5-Pin Heavy-Duty Microphone Cable
- Removable windscreen
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box
- Locking Aluminum Carrying Case
- 5 Year Warrany
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review