SPL Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier
The SPL Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier features unparalleled dynamic range as well as discrete op-amp circuitry, giving the listener a sonic experience free of listening fatigue, and the ability to mix on headphones more accurately and naturally.
SPL Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier is the outcome of all the outstanding technical and sonic characteristics of the SPL Phonitor 2, translated into a more compact and less-expensive format. Its ease-of-use, small and sturdy housing and affordable price, make the SPL Phonitor Mini the perfect headphone amplifier for home studios, hi-fi enthusiasts and mobile recording and mixing. SPL phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier is SPL's high-end/low-size version of a premium headphone amplifier. And it obviously features the Phonitor Matrix too, to recreate speaker-like working conditions, plus the developments of the second generation of SPL's 120-Volt amplifier technology.
When SPL introduced the very first Phonitor model - the first ever headphone amp with 120 Volt technology - back in 2008, the professional audio world seemed to have been eagerly awaiting it. The success of this unique headphone preamp was overwhelming. In hindsight, we also had to wonder how no other manufacturer had developed the idea of combining basic monitoring options, speaker simulation capabilities and a headphone preamp into one fully featured unit. Ever since, SPL calls this new species a "Headphone Monitoring Amp" which inspired the product name itself: Phonitor.
SPL has further achieved new progress regarding the 120 Volt circuit technology, so the technical specifications have been improved in almost all areas, setting new standards. Other improvements concern, particularly, the use of virtually any type of headphone with any impedance. The Phonitor mini is completely indiscriminating with low-impedance headphones starting at 10 Ohm and balanced headphones with load impedances starting at 40 Ohms.
The outstanding technical and sonic characteristics were translated into a more compact and less-expensive format to create the Phonitor mini. Its ease-of-use, small and sturdy housing and affordable price, make the Phonitor mini the perfect headphone amp for home studios, hi-fi enthusiasts and mobile recording and mixing.
The SPL Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier is SPL's high-end/low-size version of a premium headphone amplifier. And it obviously features the Phonitor Matrix too, to recreate speaker-like working conditions, plus the developments of the second generation of their 120 Volt amplifier technology.
Home users can now get - for an unheard-of value for money - a headphone amplifier to enjoy an authentic sound reproduction with headphones. Headphones usually provide a 180-degree stereo image (the Super Stereo effect), and thats exactly where the problem is rooted. Generally speaking, music is mixed so that all instruments are reproduced correctly in their position when the loudspeakers form a stereo triangle.
Thus, headphone reproduction is not the same as it was intended during recording. The side component becomes too important during playback, and effects like delay and reverb are reproduced in an exaggerated way. The position of instruments and vocals in the stereo image is pushed further apart. All in all, the sound is not authentic anymore. With our Phonitor Matrix, music playback with headphones becomes a real delight thanks to an authentic perception of the stereo width, a more precise localization of the sound sources and a correct balance between effects and other elements.
Studio engineers will find in the Phonitor mini a high-quality headphones amplifier. On the one side, there is the traditional, analytical work with headphones as with a magnifying glass, which can be done always bearing in mind the lack of room influence. Working with a magnifying glass has its advantages when it comes to discovering noises, clicks and crackles, assessing edits, or spotting problems of single tracks. On the other side, the Phonitor Matrix makes it possible to correctly determine the position of sound sources in the mix. Spatial information and effects are also more easily appraised, since the impression of the stereo width created is not the 180-degree one usually heard with headphones, but rather that of music being played back through monitoring speakers in the control room.
120 Volt Technology
The foundations of this high-end-development is SPL's 120 Volt reference technology: specially developed and manufactured op-amps that run on an operating voltage of 120 volts, which corresponds to approximately twice that of most modern analog audio semiconductor technologies. Thanks to the 120 Volt circuitry and processing, SPL achieves outstanding performance levels, especially in terms of dynamic range and headroom. As such, the technical specifications exceed all known analog and digital standards.
SPL Phonitor Mini Features
- Combines the new technical and sonic standards of the Phonitor 2 with a compact, competitively priced design
- 120 Volt Amplifier for Headphones
- Specially designed Op-Amps for highest quality and resolution
- Designed to reduce ear/listening fatigue
- Phonitor Matrix replicates the experience of listening to studio monitors via crossfeed and angle adjustment
- Mount-stand compatible with VESA adapter
- Headphone amplification for two sources
- Headphone amplifier for all headphone systems and impedances from 10 Ohms up
- Loudspeaker-like reproduction with headphones
- Monitoring alternative in studios and mobile units
- Mobile reproduction of usual monitoring conditions
- Headphone monitoring live or during recording
SPL Phonitor Mini Specifications
- XLR connectors, electronically balanced
- Impedance: balanced ca. 20kOhm, unbal. ca. 10kOhm
- Max. Input Level: +32,5dBu
- RCA connectors, unbalanced
- Impedance: ca. 10kOhm
- Max. Input Level: +20dBu
- Considering that the RCA input is raised from -10dBV to +4dBu (approx. 12.7dB), the input level is comparable to that of the XLR inputs: +20dB + 12.7dB = 32.7dB
- Headphone Output
- 6.3mm TRS connector
- Pin wiring: Tip = Left, Ring = Right, Sleeve = GND
- Impedance: 0.18Ohm
- Attenuation Factor: 180 @ 40Ohm
- Frequency Range: 10Hz bis 300kHz ( -3dB)
- CMR: -106dBu (at 1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
- Crosstalk at 1kHz: -88dB
- THD&N: 0,00052% (at 24dBu input level and unity gain, 1kHz, 100kOhm load)
- Noise: Unweighted: -100dB, A-weighted: - 103dB
- Dynamic Range: 133,62 dB
- Max. Output Power:
- 2x 2W (+30dBu) at 1kHz and 300Ohm connected impedance
- 2x 1W (+30dBu) at 1kHz and 600Ohm connected impedance
- Power Supply
- Voltages: 230V AC, 50 Hz / 115V AC, 60 Hz
- Power Consumption: max. 15 W
- Fuses: 115V AC: T 500 mA /230V AC: T 315 mA
- Size & Weight
- H x W x D: 44 x 144 x 257 mm (1,72" x 5,76" x 10,12")
- Weight: 2kg (4.5lbs)
SPL Phonitor Mini Includes
- Phonitor Mini, Model 1320
- IEC Power cord
- 2 Year Warranty
SPL Phonitor Mini Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review