SoundToys Little Radiator Plug-In
SoundToys Little Radiator Plug-In models the Altec 1566A Amplifier - a Classic Tube Mic Pre-Amp. Inject a little tube heat into your tracks
Little Radiator was designed for the very task of turning up the HEAT on your mixes, utilizing one of the warmest preamps known: the Altec 1566A Amplifier. After all... Warmth: its the elusive and hard to quantify character that were all striving for in modern, digital productions.
Introduced in the early 1960s, the 1566A was a three-stage mic preamp and power supply, in a single-space rack unit, all behind an unmistakable and very green faceplate. By todays standards, the sound of the Altec is colored and gritty, with a generous amount of old-fashioned hardware noise. After all, these devices were primarily meant to supply PA systems and could be found in churches, school auditoriums, and roller rinks all across the United States.
Eventually, aficionados of the analog sound began seeking out vintage 1566A units as inexpensive sources for a real-life tube front-end. The comparatively warm and punchy sound of the 1566A would become a sleeper classic for injecting that nebulous concept of warmth we mentioned earlier into setups based on an increasing amount of burgeoning digital technology.
Little Radiator brings that same heat-generating character of the 1566A to your digital setup. In addition to being a faithful recreation of the saturation and harmonic properties of the original hardware (based on multiple 1566A units at Soundtoys HQ), Little Radiator offers a mix control for easy parallel processing as well as a selectable Bias, altering the saturation characteristics of the plug-in. Crank up Little Radiator and feel the heat!
SoundToys Little Radiator Plug-In Features
- Call up 60s Motown vibes instantly with the sound of the Altec 1566A pre-amp
- Add character and grit to vocals, bass, electric piano, drums and more
- Flip the Bias switch for choppy, lo-fi sounds
- Add some line noise for a subtle, authentic feel
SoundToys Little Radiator Plug-In Specifications
- All version 5.0.4 Soundtoys products come with 32-bit and 64-bit VST, AU, and AAX Native plug-in formats.
- Here is a list of all of the DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) that are officially supported:
- Pro Tools
- Cubase / Nuendo
- Digital Performer
- *If your DAW is not on this list, it doesn't necessarily mean that SoundToys plug-ins won't work... It just means that it has not been tested. If something goes wrong with an unsupported DAW, SoundToys welcomes to write into support, but they cannot guarantee a solution.
- Supported sample rates:
- Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- System requirements:
- Operating system:
- Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Windows 7 or later
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation.
- Operating system:
- Other requirements:
- iLok.com account (An iLok USB dongle is not required)
SoundToys Little Radiator Plug-In Downloads
What We Think
SoundToys Little Radiator is a valuable little plug-in to have if you're looking to blend in a little parallel dirt to your tracks. Honestly, it's maybe not as gritty as other distortion generators. But it's the subtlety that helps it to sound so natural when you listen to it in the context of the mix. Seriously, this plug-in is a great way to get in, and if you love it, then you can upgrade to the full SoundToys Radiator, which adds the modelling of the Altec 1567A mixer amp. Radiator gives you a great-sounding equalizer section, Mic/Line modes, and a sound that conjures up some of the greatest Motown recordings of the 60s.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review