SoundToys Devil-Loc Plug-In
SoundToys Devil-Loc Plug-In is an Audio Level Destroyer with only 2 knobs, one big drum sound, and loads of Vintage Vibe.
SoundToys Devil-Loc is a limiter effect plug-in inspired by the Shure Level-Loc (Model M62 Audio Level Controller), a podium mic limiter from the late 1960s. The Level-Loc (and later the Model M62V Audio Level Controller; basically an M62 with an added input level knob) was a consumer-grade brickwall limiting amplifier, designed to keep audio in a PA system level.
In the hardware units the output level would be locked (by heavy limiting) once audio reached a certain threshold. Pretty useful piece of hardware for a public address system, right? But why make a plug-in modeled off of this unit? Well, its all about the way that the Level-Loc would alter those signals.
The following descriptors come to mind:
- ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL
The Level-Locs unique blend of indiscriminate audio leveling, combined with ample saturation and all-out distortion, gave the Level-Loc boatloads of unintentional mojo. Producer/Engineer (and Soundtoys user) Tchad Blake figured this out and began using the Level-Loc to create massive drum sounds from the gritty, pumping sound of the Level-Loc.
In creating Devil-Loc (and this plug-ins big brother, Devil-Loc) SoundToys knew that they had to not only capture the character of the original hardware, but also turn it into a more studio-friendly tool. After all, the Level-Loc was never really intended to be more than utilitarian.
With Devil-Loc, SoundToys gives you the two most colorful controls from Devil-Loc Deluxe, Crunch and Crush. You can use them to create crushing drum tracks, crazy sucking parallel compression, and blitzed out saturated lo-fi loops. Drive it hard and you will find a faithful hardware-sounding break-up and drive.
It is devilishly delicious anywhere you need your audio to be fatter, wilder, and most of all, dirtier. Devil-Loc is where to turn when you need just a pinch of evil.
SoundToys Devil-Loc Plug-In Features
- Create huge drum sounds with extreme compression and distortion
- Capture the raw and unpredictable nature of the offbeat Level-Loc compressor
- Dial in the perfect amount of Crunch (distortion) and Crush (compression) with an incredibly simple interface
What the pros are saying...
Crank up the settings and you can enjoy some satisfyingly disgusting distortion that will erase all traces of sonic politeness.
Devil Loc is the most fun, useful and inspiring audio destruction plugin Ive come across since Decapitator came out. Totally addictive.
Fabrice Fab Dupont (Jennifer Lopez, Santigold, Brazilian Girls, Sean Lennon)
HOLY CRAP!!! JUST PUT IT ON THE MIX BUS AND IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Joe Barresi (Queens of the Stone Age, Melvins, Tool, Weezer, L7)
SoundToys Devil-Loc Plug-In Specifications
- All version 5.0.4 Soundtoys products come with 32-bit and 64-bit VST, AU, and AAX Native plug-in formats.
- Here is a list of all of the DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) that are officially supported:
- Pro Tools
- Cubase / Nuendo
- Digital Performer
- *If your DAW is not on this list, it doesn't necessarily mean that SoundToys plug-ins won't work... It just means that it has not been tested. If something goes wrong with an unsupported DAW, SoundToys welcomes to write into support, but they cannot guarantee a solution.
- Supported sample rates:
- Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- System requirements:
- Operating system:
- Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Windows 7 or later
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation.
- Operating system:
- Other requirements:
- iLok.com account (An iLok USB dongle is not required)
SoundToys Devil-Loc Plug-In Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review