Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer
The Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer is a microphone preamp and mid/side stereo matrix that allows the user to easily create M/S recordings without having to re-configure a recording console. Featuring built-in mic pre's with phantom power and independent level control, the Decoder automatically combines the signals to a stereo output using the sum-difference method for spectacular stereo imaging that translates well to mono for broadcast.
The Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer begins with three ultra-quiet microphone preamps. The mic/line input-1 is assigned to the MID or direct microphone, while mic/line input-2a is assigned to the SIDE microphone. A link button automatically duplicates and pans the signal and flips the phase for a traditional M/S stereo image when used with figure-8 microphones. Mic/line input-2b allows the Decoder to be used with a pair of cardioid microphones rather than a figure-8. This opens up the door for a variety of microphones and different spacing techniques to be employed for ultimate convenience and creativity. The Radial Decoder can also be switched to +4dBu line level for Reamping pre-recorded material during mix-down. Simply record a SIDE microphone while tracking and bounce to a stereo M/S image later.
As the Radial Decoder is intended for use in the studio or in the field, the chassis is built out of heavy duty 14-gauge steel. The internal I-beam frame and book-end construction prevents premature damage to internal circuitry and protects knobs and switches from impact. A full bottom no-slip pad provides electrical insulation and mechanical isolation to reduce mishap. The chassis can also be rack- mounted on its own or with other Radial products using an optional rack kit.
The Radial Decoder mid/side recording has never been so easy!
Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer Features
- Quick and easy mid/side recording without a mixer
- Three ultra-quiet built-in mic preamps
- Pre-mixed stereo outputs
- Line level operation for use with pre-recorded tracks
Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer Applications
- M/S recording with cardioid & figure-8 mics - Traditional M/S recording using a cardioid microphone as a mid mic, and a figure-8 mic positioned at 90° from the source to capture the side image.
- 3-Microphone setup using three cardioid mics - Instead of using a figure-8, experiment using three cardioid mics with the Radial Decoder's three preamps to create unique M/S imaging. Spacing the mics apart can offer wide ranging effects.
- Connected to computer interface/tape recorder - The Radial Decoder can be switched to line-level operation to process pre-recorded tracks. Record with an M/S mic setup but adjust the stereo image during mix-down.
Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer Specifications
- Technical Specs:
- Audio Circuit Type: High grade Mic Preamp & Op-amp based M-S Matrix
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.005%
- Dynamic Range: 96dB
- Input Impedance: 10K
- Mic Input Gain: +65dB
- Line Input Gain: +25dB
- Max Output: +17dBu
- Ouput Impedance: 300 ?
- Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): <-115dBu
- Noise Floor: -80dBu @ 40dB of gain
- Intermodulation Distortion: <0.01%
- Controls: Mic/Line Gain 1, 2a & 2b
- Switches: Mic ON, HPF, Phantom Power,2a to 2b link, 2b phase invert
- High Pass Filter: 100Hz, -12dB / octave
- Construction: 14-Gauge steel chassis & outer shell
- Finish: Durable powder coat
- Size: (W x H x D) 4.5 x 2 x 6" (114 x 57 x 147mm)
- Weight: 2.8lbs (1.3Kg)
- Shipping Size: (L x W x D) 4.75 x 2.5 x 10.75" (121 x 64 x 273mm)
- Shipping Weight: 3.05lbs (1.4Kg)
- Power: 15V 400mA Power Adapter
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer Includes
- Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer
- User Guide
- 3 Year Warranty
Radial Decoder Mid/Side Summer Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review