Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly
The Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly combines one MAD824 2-channel AD converter module, one M-SYNC Master Clock sync board and two Microphone Pre-Amplifiers in 1U, 19 inch rack-mountable chassis to make it a world class 2-channel AD converter system.
The Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly includes one A/D Conversion Module, one M-SYNC Master Clock Sync Board and two Microphone Pre-Amplifiers in a single chassis. With configurations of less than four modules, the Lavry Engineering Blue 4496 offers room for growth. Most modules can be added by the user to an existing 4496 (with space) for added functionality as needs change. Other optional configurations include dual channel professional microphone preamps. MicPre's are 'double width' for 2 channels plus conversion or 4 channels MicPre in each chassis. The LavryBlue 4496 is a modular system that can house stereo AD, DA, and MicPre modules. There are four "slots" available in each 4496 chassis, and multiple chassis can be used together for additional channels in multi-track applications. Each converter module occupies one slot and each MicPre module occupies two slots. The 4496 can be ordered with as few as one module or up to eight channels of conversion. The MSYNC module provides clock and external synchronization to all AD modules in a chassis, as well as a BNC Word Clock output.
M-SYNC 4496 Clock Module
The Lavry Engineering Blue M.SYNC 4496 Clock Module provides clock and external synchronization to all AD modules in a chassis of LavryBlue 4496 System, as well as a BNC Word Clock output.
Analog to Digital (MAD-824) Converter
The MAD-824 is a two-channel unit, converting analog audio to AES digital output in word lengths of 16, 20, or 24 bits. It receives its clock (internal or external) from the M-SYNC board (multi channel sync). All MAD-824 units in a 4496 frame receive the same clock signal from the M-SYNC to minimize jitter and inter-channel timing differences.
Microphone PreAmplifier Module
The MicPre provides state of the art noise performance that accommodates even the weakest microphone signals, and a wide input range for the strongest mic signals. Ultra-low distortions across the complete audio frequency band insure maximum signal transparency at all gain settings. The MicPre is designed to yield a superior dynamic range even for high source impedance microphones. The transformer free input provides pure and transparent bass, while featuring state of the art in common mode rejection exceeding transformer based units (for elimination of hum and interference pickup).
Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly Features
- M-SYNC 4496 Clock Module
- Multichannel clock synchronization
- Ultra-stable crystal-referenced internal or external sync operation at 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz
- Wide lock mode is available for non-standard sample rates or vari-speed operation
- One M-SYNC provides clocking and synchronization for all MAD824 AD converter modules contained in the same 4496 chassis
- Word Clock out to sync other units
- Analog to Digital (MAD-824) Converter
- 2 channels of sonically transparent 24 bit Lavry A-to-D conversion
- Option to output digital audio 24 bit, 16 bit, or 16 bit plus dither and acoustic ßit Correction™ noise shaping.
- Accurate LED metering.
- Analog and Digital Saturation modes allow hotter recording levels.
- Microphone PreAmplifier Module
- 2 channels of professional micpre
- Impedance matching for Condenser, Dynamic, and Ribbon mic’s
- Super-low noise and distortion over a wide input and gain range
- Transformerless electronically balanced inputs and outputs provide sonic transparency with excellent channel matching
Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly Specifications
- M.SYNC 4496 Clock Module:
- Internal Clock Accuracy: +/-25 ppm (Parts Per Million)
- Narrow Mode Lock Range:
- +/-150 PPM for Standard Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz
- Wide Mode Lock Range:
- 42-50 kHz Range in “LOW”
- 84-100kHz Range in “HIGH”
- Sync Input:
- The Unit accepts an input sync signal at the rear panel BNC labeled “SYNC IN.”
- This can be either a standard:
- Sample Rate WORD CLOCK “5V TTL level” (2.5V-5V Amplitude)
- Or an AES SYNC SIGNAL (2.5V-5V Amplitude).
- The input IS NOT internally terminated.
- Sync Output:
- The Unit provides an output sync signal at the rear panel BNC labeled “SYNC OUT.” The signal is useful for driving another Lavry Blue 4496 system (for example a multi-channel application requiring more than 8 channels of A-to-D). The output clock is a 75-ohm back terminated 3V signal (compatible with the BNC input of the next 4496 chassis and standard WORD CLOCK inputs).
- Analog to Digital (MAD-824) Converter:
- Dynamic Range (22Hz –22KHz Unweighted): 114dBFS +/-1dBFS
- THD+N -(1KHz Unweighted), Internal Clock or NARROW Lock, Typical and Worst Case:
- -1dBFS-98dBFS typical, -96dBFS worst case
- -3dBFS-102dBFS typical, -98dBFS worst case
- -10dBFS-109dBFS typical, -107dBFS worst case
- -20dBFS-112dBFS typical, -110dBFS worst case
- Common Mode Rejection:
- Greater then 100dBFS for AC Power Line Frequencies (measured by applying 24dBu 100Hz common mode input signal, with no internal gain)
- Analog Input Levels (Balanced or Unbalanced Source)
- 24dBu Peak Level with No Internal Gain (front panel pots counter clockwise)
- 13dBu peak level with maximum internal gain (front panel pots clockwise)
- Analog Input Gain:
- 11dB’s available internal gain. Gain increases when turning Front Panel pots clockwise.
- Analog Inputs:
- Female XLR Electronically Balanced +4dBu Nominal Level, Input Impedance 5k Ohms, Configured for XLR Pin 2 “+” Factory Default (User Selectable by Internal DIP Switch).
- Digital Output:
- Male XLR AES Digital Interface-Transformer Coupled, SPDIF Compatible with Appropriate Adapters.
- Output Word Length 24, 20 or 16 Bits Selectable from the Front Panel.
- Bar Graph Display:
- 21 Lamps Indication (Color Coded) for Each Channel, including MAX lamp (for digital overload), 0 to –10dBFS in 1 dB increments, -12 to –20dBFS in 2dB increments, followed by –25, -30, -40 and –50dBFS to indicate low level activity.
- Reference Meter Bridge:
- Enables selection of reference points (indication lamps) on the bar graph display, to –10, -12, -14, -16, -18 or –20dBFS levels. The magnified input signal is indicated in reference to the selected reference level in 0.2 dB steps.
- Enables distortion and noise floor modulation free truncation to 20 or 16 bits word length.
- Microphone PreAmplifier Module:
- Distortion-Measured at100Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz, &20kHz:
- Gain setting 40-0.001%
- Gain setting 60-0.005%
- Noise-Input Referenced Noise at Gain Settings from 40 to 70dB:
- Input Shorted-128dB
- 150 Ohm source-126dB
- Individual stepped analog control with 21to 70 dB’s gain in 1dB steps for each channel.
- Front panel switch for 10 dB Output “Pad” controls both channels. Does not affect input level.
- Two channels of electronically balanced XLR inputs wired for Pin 2 “+” (non-inverting), Pin 3 “-” (inverting). Input impedance matching for Ribbon, Dynamic, and Condenser microphones. Front panel switch controls both channels.Absolute Maximum input +3V.
- Two channels electronically balanced XLR outputs +4dBu nominal level.+24dBu Maximum Output Level (+14dBu with Gain Pad “on”).Wired for Pin 2 “+” (non-inverting), Pin 3 “-” (inverting) operation. Can be configured for unbalanced operation using internal jumpers.
- Phantom Power:
- +48V-Available on the input XLR connectors,only in the “Condenser” setting. Dual regulation provides exceptional inter-channel isolation.
- Distortion-Measured at100Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz, &20kHz:
Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly Includes
- 1 x Lavry Engineering Blue 4496-20 2-Channel AD & Preamp Assembly
- 1 x Owners Manual
- 1 Year Warranty
What We Think
"Traditionally, top engineers and studios across the planet have purchased Lavry Engineering digital converters when they DON'T want to hear a digital converter changing their audio in ways that they don't intend. While staying true to the performance reputation of the Gold series (like the AD122, for example), Lavry Engineering's modular Blue series changes the game a little bit. Aside from a completely configurable rackmount modular architecture, the BLUE series still offers some of the finest 'no-artifact' conversion available while also adding features such as 'Analog Soft Saturation' (an analog peak limiter before conversion) and 'Digital Soft Saturation' (analog tape overdrive emulation). Now, you can be protected from accidental 'overs' and/or a little 'character' can be added to the signal. Rest assured that this is no gimmicky feature. Lavry only does it if it's right. My personal experience with Lavry Engineering converters convinced me years ago that Dan Lavry makes some of the finest converters available anywhere... and we're talking about putting two stages of Lavry conversion up against the raw source mix off of a half-inch Studer. The affect of two stages of conversion (AD and DA) was barely detectable. This is practically unheard of... and this was using a Lavry design from about the mid-nineties! The Blue series really should be considered by anyone who wants to do perfect digital, whether it be for tracking, monitoring, mastering, etc... Lavry Engineering products should be your final stop in your quest."
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review