Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip
The Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip offers two channels of a professional recording studio in a small box. Simple to use yet extremely powerful, the twinQ2 will bring out the best in any microphone or instrument and give the gloss of a professional studio production to all your performances.
The Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip is everything you ever wanted in a dual studio channel - and then some! Joemeek started with high quality Burr-Brown IC's for the preamp, added an extremely musical EQ section and an optical compressor for that signature "Meek" sound. Then they included some new and innovative features, like an "Iron" switch that switches the IC front end to a transformer - completely changing the topology of the circuit. The Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip even has 24bit, 96k A/D converters built in. All of this comes housed in a rugged 2u chassis with a beautifully sculpted aluminum faceplate. With sonic quality rivaling mic pre's priced thousands of dollars more, the Joemeek twinQ2 sets a new standard for dual channels!
Some changes Joemeek made to the TwinQ2: 1) The microphone input transformer is permanently assigned to the "Mic" Input. The "IRON" switch now optionally sends the "Line" input through the transformer, to add some coloration to Line sources. 2) The input "GAIN" control now operates over the range 18dB to 60dB, with improved resolution in the crucial 25dB-45dB range. Microphone inputs up to +4dBu can be accommodated without distortion (+24dBu by using the "PAD" switch). 3) As before, with the "LINE" input selected the gain is unity (0dB) at the top of the dial; the gain range is now -19dB to +22dB. 4) The "INSTRument" input now has a gain range of 0dB to +40dB. 5) "PEAK" LEDs now light at +16dBu (2dB below Full Scale Digital).
Digital Audio Interface
The Joemeek Digital Audio Interface provides high quality digital audio outputs plus the ability to synchronize to an external word clock. The digital audio outputs are compatible with most digital recorders, as well as Digital Audio Workstations and mixers. S/PDIF format is available from the RCA phono connectors, while the transformer coupled XLR connector provides an AES3 compatible output.
The Joemeek Digital Interface has highly stable onboard master clocks for low-jitter, hi-fi results. Internal sample rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz are selected by means of rear panel switches. 44.1kHz is the standard used for audio CD's, while 48kHz and 96kHz are widely used in recording studios. In general, the higher the sample rate, the better the audio fidelity, but the more disk space is required for the recording. For example, recording at 96kHz requires twice as much storage as 48kHz. Consult the manual of your recorder or DAW as to what sample rates it will accommodate.
Alternatively the Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip may be set to the frequency of an external master word clock, generated, for example, by the studio's recorder or DAW. When connected to the BNC socket provided, a suitable external word clock will be detected automatically and will override the Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip's internal word clock.
The front panel LED labelled 'EXT CLK' illuminates when the Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip is successfully locked to an external word clock. To avoid distortion, care should be taken not to overdrive the input to the Digital Interface. The red LED next to the Output Gain control is labeled "PEAK FSD" which stands for "Full Scale Digital". Occasional flashes are OK but if it is on all the time, turn something down!
Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip Features
- Ultra clean microphone preamplifier - World-class microphone preamplifier using a top-quality Cinemag microphone transformer
- "Iron" switch - Sends the Line input through the Mic transformer, to add coloration
- Full featured optical compressor with COmpressor Link for Stereo Applications
- Large, accurate VU metering - quick monitoring of level and gain reduction
- 24 bit 96k Analog/Digital converters with AES/EBU, S/PDIF, Optical and Word Clock
- Balanced and Unbalanced I/O for proper interface with any system
- Front panel Instrument input to use as a DI during sessions
- Highly musical three band EQ with Sweep LF & MF, Selectable HF (6k & 12k)
- Intuitive panel layout for "transparent" use while recording
Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip Specifications
- Input Impedances: Mic: 1.2kohm; Line: 20kohm
- Pre-amp Overall Gain: 0dB to 60dB
- Common Mode Rejection: 70dB
- Equivalent Input Noise: -128.5dBu (unweighted)
- Distortion: 0.001% (below Compressor threshold)
- Frequency Response: 10Hz to 70kHz (-3dB)
- Maximum Input Before Clipping: Mic: +24dBu; Line: +45dBu
- Headroom Before Clipping: +29dBu
- Compressor Threshold: -6dBu to -22dBu (variable)
- Compressor Ratio: 1:1 to 10:1 (variable)
- Compressor Attack Time: 1 msec to 100 msec (adaptive)
- Compressor Release Time: 0.1 sec to 3 sec (adaptive)
- Nominal Output Levels: +4dBu/-10dBv
- Output Impedance: 75ohm
- Output Level Switch: 12dB attenuation
- Noise Floor: -85dBu (typical, with ~40dB mic gain)
- VU Meter: Analogue movement
- Power Supply: 115V / 230V ac mains, 50/60Hz
- Power Consumption: 30W
- Mechanical: 482W x 88H x 220D (overall)
- Weight: 3 kilos
- High Pass Filter: 12dB per octave cut below 80Hz
- EQ Boost & Cut: +/-15dB (zero phase-shift bell response)
- LF Frequency: 40Hz to 650Hz variable
- MID Frequency: 300Hz to 5kHz variable
- HF Frequency: 6kHz/12kHz switchable
- Sampling: 24 Bit
- Resolution: 24-bit delta sigma using Wolfson WM8738 ADC
- Sampling Rate: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz selectable
- Output Formats: AES3 compliant (balanced), S/PDIF electrical
- Oversampling: This is [sample frequency divided by twice the bandwidth]. So for a 20kHz bandwidth sampled at 96kHz, oversampling = 2.4x. However the term oversampling is sometimes confused with [clock frequency divided by sample rate]. In the DB-1 that would be 256x at 96kHz
- Noise Floor: typically 92dB A-weighted (referenced to 0dBFS = +18dBu). So for a +4dBu signal, the SNR is 78dB
- Typically 0.01% @ 0dBu (20Hz - 20kHz) at 96kHz sample rate
- Typically 0.02% @ 0dBu (20Hz - 20kHz) at 48kHz sample rate
- Typically 0.02% @ -1dBFS (20Hz - 20kHz) at all sample rates
- External Word Clock Input: 75ohm, 1.25V - TTL level, 44.1kHz to 96kHz (auto synchronising)
- Crosstalk: Typically -67dB (20Hz - 20kHz)
Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip Includes
- Joemeek twinQ2 Unit
- Printed User Mannual
- 3 Year Warranty
Joemeek twinQ2 Channel Strip Downloads
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I really wanted to like this channel strip a lot because of its rep and price. For under $1000 you can 2 pre's, 2 eq's, 2 compressor's, and even a/d conversion.
I tried this pre on 5 artist and only liked it once, I like to use gentle compression when tracking and this compressor is VERY aggressive and touchy. 2:1 ratio with a -4 threshhold can slam the needle crushing the signal. I tried it on drum buss and wasn't thrilled either. I found the a/d conversion was sub par to my profire 2626 conversion.
Now for some good. This is KILLER on DI bass. The mic pre's can a nice load without clipping. I let a another studio borrow it and they absolutely loved it on drums, especially overheads. Oh, the once artist I liked the pre on was a country artist, the rest was hip-hop. This is a great deal for the money, just didn't work out to well for me.
An excellent channel strip for the money. Very clean, really opens up on the "iron" setting. The Eq is excellent for the price, and the compressor definitely has a lot of character. Probably the best stereo channel strip you can get at this price point.