Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip
The Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip offers one channel of a professional recording studio in a small box. Simple to use yet extremely powerful, the OneQ2 will bring out the best in any microphone or instrument and give the gloss of a professional studio production to all your performances.
The Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip is the most full-featured, technologically advanced studio channel Joemeek has ever made! A single channel combining Mic Pre (featuring Cinemag microphone transformers), four band EQ, the most flexible of any Joemeek ever, their "signature" optical compressor, De-Esser, and Enhancer, it's a master channel like no other.
Housed in a 2u chassis, the elegantly sculpted faceplate is intelligently laid out, with clear, easy to read legends and a large analog VU meter. Joemeek even included 24bit, 96K A/D converters with word clock input and output. The new Joemeek OneQ2 raises the bar for all studio master channels!
Some changes Joemeek made to the OneQ2: 1) The microphone input transformer is permanently assigned to the "Mic" Input. The "IRON" switch now optionally sends the "Line" input through the transformer, to add some coloration to Line sources. 2) The input "GAIN" control now operates over the range 18dB to 60dB, with improved resolution in the crucial 25dB-45dB range. Microphone inputs up to +4dBu can be accommodated without distortion (+24dBu by using the "PAD" switch). 3) As before, with the "LINE" input selected the gain is unity (0dB) at the top of the dial; the gain range is now -19dB to +22dB. 4) The "INSTRument" input now has a gain range of 0dB to +40dB. 5) "PEAK" LEDs now light at +16dBu (2dB below Full Scale Digital).
Digital Audio Interface
The Joemeek Digital Audio Interface provides high quality digital audio outputs plus the ability to synchronize to an external word clock. The digital audio outputs are compatible with most digital recorders, as well as Digital Audio Workstations and mixers. S/PDIF format is available from the RCA phono connectors, while the transformer coupled XLR connector provides an AES3 compatible output.
The Joemeek Digital Interface has highly stable onboard master clocks for low-jitter, hi-fi results. Internal sample rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz are selected by means of rear panel switches. 44.1kHz is the standard used for audio CD's, while 48kHz and 96kHz are widely used in recording studios. In general, the higher the sample rate, the better the audio fidelity, but the more disk space is required for the recording. For example, recording at 96kHz requires twice as much storage as 48kHz. Consult the manual of your recorder or DAW as to what sample rates it will accommodate.
Alternatively the Joemeek OneQ2 may be set to the frequency of an external master word clock, generated, for example, by the studio's recorder or DAW. When connected to the BNC socket provided, a suitable external word clock will be detected automatically and will override the OneQ2's internal word clock.
The front panel LED labelled 'EXT CLK' illuminates when the Joemeek OneQ2 is successfully locked to an external word clock. To avoid distortion, care should be taken not to overdrive the input to the Digital Interface. The red LED next to the Output Gain control is labeled "PEAK FSD" which stands for "Full Scale Digital". Occasional flashes are OK but if it is on all the time, turn something down!
Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip Features
- Ultra clean microphone preamplifier - World-class microphone preamplifier using a top-quality Cinemag microphone transformer
- Highly musical four band EQ with Sweep LM & HM, Selectable LF & HF
- Full featured optical compressor with Compressor Link for Stereo Applications
- De-Esser with listen function for quick, precise elimination of sibilance
- Large, accurate VU metering for quick monitoring of level and gain reduction
- "Iron" switch Sends the Line input through the Mic transformer, to add coloration
- Front panel Instrument input to use as a DI during sessions
- XLR inputs front and rear for easy session set-up
- Harmonic Enhancer adds definition without gain increase
- 24 bit 96k Digital converters with AES/EBU, S/PDIF, Optical and Word Clock
Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip Specifications
- Input Impedances: Mic: 1.2kohm; Line: 20kohm
- Pre-amp Overall Gain: 10dB to 60dB (variable)
- Common Mode Rejection: 70dB
- Equivalent Input Noise: -128.5dBu (unweighted)
- Distortion: 0.001% (below Compressor threshold)
- Frequency Response: 15Hz to 70kHz (-3dB)
- Maximum Input Before Clipping: Mic: +21dBu; Line: +45dBu
- Headroom Before Clipping: +21dBu
- Compressor Threshold: 8dBu to -20dBu (variable)
- Compressor Ratio: 1:1 to 10:1 (variable)
- Compressor Attack Time: 1 msec to 100 msec (adaptive)
- Compressor Release Time: 0.1 sec to 3 sec (adaptive)
- Nominal Output Levels: +4dBu/-10dBv
- Output Impedance: 100ohm
- Output Level Switch: 12dB attenuation
- Noise Floor: -85dBu (typical, with ~40dB mic gain)
- VU Meter: Analogue movement
- Power Supply: 115V / 230V ac mains, 50/60Hz
- Power Consumption: 30W
- Mechanical: 482W x 88H x 220D (overall)
- Weight: 3 kilos
- High Pass Filter: 12dB per octave cut below 80Hz
- EQ Boost & Cut: +/-15dB (zero phase-shift bell response)
- LF Frequency: 80Hz/120Hz switchable
- LMF Frequency: 200Hz to 2kHz variable
- HMF Frequency: 1kHz to 6kHz variable
- HF Frequency: 7kHz/14kHz (selectable)
- EQ "Q" : 0.9 (1.6 octaves)
- Sampling: 24 Bit
- Resolution: 24-bit delta sigma using Wolfson WM8738 ADC
- Sampling Rate: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz selectable
- Output Formats: AES3 compliant (balanced), S/PDIF electrical
- Oversampling: This is [sample frequency divided by twice the bandwidth]. So for a 20kHz bandwidth sampled at 96kHz, oversampling = 2.4x. However the term oversampling is sometimes confused with [clock frequency divided by sample rate]. In the DB-1 that would be 256x at 96kHz
- Noise Floor: Typically 92dB A-weighted (referenced to 0dBFS = +18dBu). So for a +4dBu signal, the SNR is 78dB
- Typically 0.01% @ 0dBu (20Hz - 20kHz) at 96kHz sample rate
- Typically 0.02% @ 0dBu (20Hz - 20kHz) at 48kHz sample rate
- Typically 0.02% @ -1dBFS (20Hz - 20kHz) at all sample rates
- External Word Clock Input: 75ohm, 1.25V - TTL level, 44.1kHz to 96kHz (auto synchronising)
- Crosstalk: Typically -67dB (20Hz - 20kHz)
Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip Includes
- Joemeek OneQ2 Unit
- Printed User Guide
- 3 Year Warranty
Joemeek OneQ2 Channel Strip Downloads
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
If youre looking for a preamp that provides transparency, then this is not the unit for you. the joemeek brand is known for its unique sound, and thats what this unit delivers. it definitely colors the signal, but in a good way, making it a unique addition to your rack.
with aggressive rock vox it added a nice amount of body to the track, a great compressor! with the bass, it really helped thicken up the tone. so much so that i'll be using it for most bass tracks from here on in. the job on those two is enough to make me very happy with this unit.
tons of features and a great level of control is available, making this a great all in one unit. however, two tips:
1. leave the "iron" switch on... it really adds a great color and depth to the tone. basically, in my opinion, it made it everything sound better.
2. use the digital outputs, it will greatly increase the quality of your recorded signal.