Genelec 8260APM DSP Studio Monitor (Single)
The new Genelec 8260APM 3-Way Tri-Amplified DSP Monitor (Single) is a masterpiece in electro-acoustic design which features major advances in audio driver technology integrated to a sophisticated enclosure design.
Genelec 8260APM 3-Way Tri-Amplified DSP Monitor Details
The Genelec 8260APM 3-Way Tri-Amplified Smart Active Monitor (SAMâ"¢) is a masterpiece in electro-acoustic and DSP monitor design which features major advances in audio driver technology integrated to a sophisticated enclosure design.
Genelec MDC Minimum Diffraction Coaxial Mid/High driver technology takes a big step in perfecting audio quality in professional active studio monitors. This breakthrough in coaxial driver design provides more accurate imaging and improved sound quality both on the acoustical axis as well as off-axis. The extremely smooth frequency response leads to outstanding clarity and definition of the inner details of the music.
The 8260APM combines, for the first time, a coaxial driver (MDC) with a modern waveguide technology (DCW), ensuring drivers to couple coherently over their full operating bandwidth, as well as creating coincident mid-frequency/high frequency point source.
As a new member of the TEC Award-winning 8200 Series, the 8260APM features Genelec DSP signal processing responsible for all loudspeaker functions, such as the crossover filters, driver equalizers, driver position alignment, room response alignment, calibration, and equalization related filters as well as distance compensating delays.
The Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM) software manages all these functions allowing the 8260A to be used together with other 8200 Series DSP monitors and 7200 Series subwoofers in the same setup. Genelec AutoCal automated room calibration and sound system alignment method provides consistent and accurate frequency response for a multichannel audio system in widely varying room environments.
The 8260APM is housed in a die-cast aluminum Minimum Diffraction Enclosure (MDE) with acoustically optimized rounded edges to prevent diffractions and yielding superb sound stage imaging. The robust enclosure is also completely immune to vibrations. Each 8260APM also comes with an Iso-Pod (Isolation Positioner/Decoupler) which eliminates coloration of the sound by decoupling the monitor from its mounting surface. For ideal mounting in differing environments, the 8260APM includes integrated rear support points for various floor and wall stands.
The Genelec 8260APM 3-Way DSP Monitor requires at least another 8260APM monitor together with the GLM Software, Interface, and Measurement Microphone Bundle and the cabling that you'll need to get up and running quickly. We use a complete Genelec 8240APM GLM Stereo DSP Monitor Package in our on-site studio. As a result, this makes Front End Audio your best source for getting the correct configuration for your space, and for providing information for proper installation and support of Genelec's fantastic DSP systems. Call us at 888-228-4530.
Genelec 8260APM 3-Way Tri-Amplified DSP Monitor Features
- Considerably more sound pressure(SPL) than Genelec largest two-way systems.
- Improved sound quality due to the dedicated midrange channel. This Improves midrange clarity and keeps the subjective clarity even with slightly overloaded low frequency channel.
- Outstanding imaging and off-axis definition due to coincident MF and HF (MDC) drivers.
- Exceptional clarity and precise imaging thanks to the absence of discontinuities in the design of the Minimum Diffraction Coaxial (MDC) driver combined with the Advanced Directivity Control Waveguide (DCW)
- Industrial and robust enclosure design: die-cast aluminum Minimum Diffraction Enclosure-MDE
- Effective and reliable auto-calibration of stereo and surround systems thanks to AutoCal- automatic room alignment- technology.
- New generation of low distortion drivers.
- Advanced filtering and power amplification.
- High performance reflex port design avoiding port turbulence and noise as well as improving LF efficiency and definition.
- Proprietary GLM control network formation over CAT5 connections.
- Comprehensive user interface with GLM software.
- AES/EBU or analog audio signals compatibility.
- Better integration of loadspeakers in the digital studio environment.
- Free-standing design which can also be flush mounted.
Genelec 8260APM 3-Way Tri-Amplified DSP Monitor Specifications
- Input format: Analog and Digital
- Input word length: 16, 24 bits
- Digital Input: AES/EBU (single/dual wire)
- Connector type: XLR female input (same input for Analog and Digital - Auto-Sensing)
- Input sampling rate: 32 -192 kHz
- Control network: Proprietary Genelec Loudspeaker Manager network (GLM)
- System calibration: AutoCal, GLM manual, Stand-alone
- Maximum short time sine wave acoustic output at 1 m on axis in half space, averaged from 100 Hz to 3 kHz: ≥ 113 dB SPL
- Maximum peak acoustic output per pair with music material: ≥ 123 dB SPL @ 1m
- Bass: 10"
- Midrange: 5" laminate cone
- Treble: 3/4" coaxial Al-dome
- Crossover frequencies: 490 Hz, 3 kHz
- Free field frequency response: 29 Hz - 21 kHz (Â± 1 dB)
- Amplifier power /ch:
- Bass: 150 W
- Midrange: 120 W
- Treble: 120 W
- Speaker dimensions (H x W x D)
- Power: 110 V, 60Hz
- mm: 570 x 357 x 347 mm (Height with Iso-Pod 593 mm)
- inches: 22 7/16 x 14 1/16 x 13 5/8" (Height with Iso-Pod 23 3/8")
- Speaker weight: 27.5 kg (60.5 lb)
Genelec 8260APM 3-Way Tri-Amplified DSP Monitor Downloads
- Genelec 8260A Datasheet (PDF)
- Genelec 8260A Line Drawings (PDF)
- Genelec 8260A Technical Paper (PDF)
- GLM Connection Guide (PDF)
- Genelec 8260A Acoustic Axis (PDF)
- Genelec 8260A MDE Enclosure Animation
- Genelec 8260A Reflex Port Animation
- Genelec 8260A Operating Manual (PDF)
What We Think
"Genelec's 8260APM 3-way DSP Monitor is a monster - you're immediately struck by it's size. This thing is BIG in person. We'll just let you know, these guys are NOT going on your meter bridge. So, plan on getting a Genelec 8260-415B Floor Stand for 8260A along with a Genelec 8260-450B Stand Plate for 8260A Iso-Pod for each monitor. In fact, there's a bit to all of this DSP business. So, we really recommend giving us a call at 888-228-4530 to ensure that you're getting everything you need as these Genelec DSP monitors require the GLM Software Package in order to operate. So, how do they sound? The 8260A monitors are undoubtedly Genelecs. They sound just like a Genelec - which means that they are incredibly neutral and your mixes immediately translate to the outside world without much fuss. Other manufacturers keep adding bells and whistles in the form of passive radiators, etc to wow the senses - as if this is a hi-fi scenario. Genelec excites the senses with accuracy and measurable linearity. The coaxial design of the 3-way ensures that the mid-range is properly covered in seamless transition across the drivers with the least amount of axial image distortion possible. This results in an incredibly balanced monitor that creates an experience much less as if you are listening to a monitor and more that you are listening to your mix - exactly as it should be. The Genelec GLM Control Network Hardware & Software Package is an extremely powerful network system featuring AutoCal and AutoPhase functionality (the latter of which is for the proper accurate integration of Genelec 7200-Series Subwoofer Systems - the appropriate match of which for the 8260A is the Genelec 7271A DSP Subwoofer and optional AD9200A 8-Channel A to D Converter). The system allows for you to actually correct for both equalization and timing deficiencies in your setup. Let's face it - no room is perfect. And many are less perfect than others. For the traveling engineer, the Genelec 8200 Series of DSP monitors together with GLM is a perfect match as these tools give you accuracy from location to location, time and time again. And the ability to correct for timing and eq across a myriad of filters, allows the system to 'throw the image' to another location within the room. So, your producer and/or artist doesn't have to get up from the couch at the back of the control room to hear things as you are hearing them. Keyboard quick-keys make recalling different setups a snap.
As you can see, there is a LOT to these systems. But the important thing to remember is that they are Genelecs and with the digital capabilities on-board, not only do they still sound just like the Genelecs that you've known and loved for years, they're actually BETTER now. Give us a call at 888-228-4530 and we'll take care of you. Monitoring is nothing to leave to chance, and Genelec has mixed more 'hits' than you'll ever know. Go with the proven best; Genelec DSP Systems from Front End Audio."
- Front End Audio
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review