Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card
The Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card is an optional analog-to-digital converter card operating at sample rates up to and including 192kHz, designed for the ISA 428 and 828 preamps. Featuring Burr-Brown amplifiers and PCM4220 A-D converter chips, the card delivers an unparalleled performance.
The Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card is designed to outperform every other converter yet devised, and is the first audio A-D converter to utilise Burr-Brown Pro Audio Amplifiers and flagship PCM4220 A-D converter chips. With cutting-edge conversion technology seated within Focusrite custom analogue circuitry, the Focusrite ISA 8-Channel A/D Option Card delivers unparalleled performance; specifications include a dynamic range of 122dB and jitter less than 250 picoseconds. The Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card can be retrofitted to an ISA 428 or ISA 828 at any time and, thanks to its convenient 25-pin D-Type connector, integrates seamlessly with ProTools HD as well as other popular hard disk recorders and mixing desks. Digital formats include an eight-channel single/dual wire AES/EBU and S/PDIF output, as well as an eight-channel ADAT lightpipe (SMUX/SMUX2) output. Word clock i/o is provided via dedicated BNC connectors.
About Focusrite A/D Converters
Just paying for the PCB and circuitry, without any additional casing and metalwork, affords a considerable reduction in cost whilst maintaining an extremely high level of sonic clarity. However, the benefits from installing Focusrite's optional ADC extend far beyond the obvious financial advantages and space saving issues. As most converters use the same chips, it is the quality of the surrounding analogue circuitry that makes the difference. This is the reason why the ISA ADC is unrivalled in terms of both price and performance.
The Focusrite's R and D team have carefully considered the organisation of the PCB layout and grounding, ensuring that the S/N ratio and linearity of the converter are optimised. The noise floor and THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) are kept to a minimum by the nature of the power supply and the analogue input design, with analogue filtering positively effecting the sound of the digital noise.
In addition, the supporting circuitry around the ADC (dealing with data transmission, bit reduction and incoming word clock) has been carefully structured, as it influences the converter through heat, power supply and data jitter. One of the most important aspects of the ADC is the clock design, as this determines the linearity of the digital output. All Focusrite ADCs are designed to have incredibly low jitter figures (44.1kHz-192kHz < 20 psec) which significantly improve the quality of the sound.
With the converters housed within the analogue units, the signal path is kept as short as possible, having no unnecessary analogue connections to the inputs of recording equipment. In addition, Focusrite units do not contain extraneous clocks or other sources of digital noise, unlike so many digital desks and multi-I/O DSP configurations.
Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card Features
- Optional 8-channel A-D converter fits ISA428 and ISA828
- Utilizes Burr-Brown Pro Audio Amplifiers and flagship PCM4220 A-D converter chips
- Integrates seamlessly with Pro Tools HD as well as other popular hard disk recorders and mixing desks
- Can be retrofitted to an ISA428 or ISA828 at any time
Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card Specifications
- Output Formats (All Channels):
- AES/EBU (5V / 110 Ohms), S/PDIF (0.8V / 75 Ohms)
- ADAT Lightpipe (SMUX I/II/IV, Channels 1-4 only in 176.4kHz, 192kHz Mode)
- S/PDIF Lightpipe (Channels 1-4 Only; Mutually Exclusive with ADAT Lightpipe)
- Bit Depth:
- 24 Bits, Internally Configurable to 16 or 20 Bits if Necessary
- AES3 Output Jitter:
- <:1500ps, 50Hz-100kHz
- <:350ps, 700Hz-100kHz
- Frequency Response:
- All Ranges: 20Hz - 20kHz ± 0.3dB (100Hz - 20kHz ± 0.1dB)
- 176.4kHz, 192kHz: 17Hz - 90kHz ± 0.5dB
- 121.5dB A-Weighted, Audio Band-Limited, 1kHz, -60dB FS Input
- Maximum 0.0033% at 1dB FS (1kHz)
- Minimum 0.0008% at 15dB FS (1kHz)
- Idle Channel Noise: 117.5dB at 44.1kHz, CCIR-Weighted, Full Bandwidth
- Crosstalk: 100dB at 12kHz, Paired Channels; 95dB at 20kHz
- External Connectors:
- 1 x 25-Pin D-Sub AES-S/PDIF
- 2 x ADAT Lightpipe
- 2 x BNC Wordclock I/O
Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card Includes
- Focusrite ISA 8-Channel AD Card
- 2 Year Warranty
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Again a flawless tie-in with my main AD/DA TC Electronic SK48. If fact it worked so well I didn't realize it was all set up after powering up the unit. "BIP" all channels present and accounted for.